All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '21, 20:43 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Plant Zombie
I expected to see this over and over but I've only found a handful of posts regarding child safety. I feel like I'm having a RTFM moment and I'm missing something.

Being a dad is amazing! But somehow when he was about 2 yr old he picked up parkour and mountain scaling. At the same time we wanted to give him free roam of the back yard, so the first thing I did was to drain the FT and shut everything down. An FT looks like a death trap from that perspective.

Interesting side note his first bad dream was that he fell off his playground set. Why? Because I constantly say "be careful up there, it would hurt if you fell down" .... the mind of a child is like clay. His mom, dad and grandparents are the only world he knows since covid. Being a dad is scary as hell sometimes, it's by far the greatest responsibility of my life.

He turned 3 last Jan and I've been shut down for over a year now. I want him to see the system especially the fish and as close as possible. I know it will be a big deal to him. I want him to grow up with AP. I want to turn it back on but I need a fail proof way to keep him from falling in. I don't care about the budget this is important to me.

I do not use a direct cover on my FT. I shade my fish but I don't use a lid. I really enjoy watching them and I want to avoid a solid lid (transparent would be fine) if possible. I do not want to fence it. Ultimately I would like to safely encourage him to look at it. I just want safety proof the top of the fish tank.

The fish tank is a full size IBC only cut at the very top where the plastic starts to curve. The 'never been cut' metal framing should make its easier to support a heavy solution if needed.

From what I read there are a few suggested solutions for child proofing.
One person wrote the ONLY safe method is a lid.
I'm open to criticism, that's why I'm asking.
:naughty:

From what I understood from my reading
1) galvanized steel can leach zinc
2) standard rebar will rust
3) I read about Aquaplate, Outokumpu LDX 2101, and other paints that can seal metal
4) synthetic netting sounds good
5) simple non galvanized steel mesh and the rust will be minimal
6) woven industrial size zip ties
7) plexiglass... I would love it if this could work like a glass bottom boat.

I weigh 160 lbs, if it can hold me it will hold him. Ideas? Recommendations? Am I crazy to try?

Attachments:
FT_painted.jpg
FT_painted.jpg [ 555.09 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '21, 22:34 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Think your over worrying a bit. You still have the cage around the tote so you can use about anything as a lid. Take a sheet of 3/4 ply wood. Then paint the side facing the water first with a wood sealer and then with rubberized paint like Flex seal. That will protect it from water splashing and it will last a few years.

Kids are naturally curious and wanna help. Put them to work helping.

You all ready look safer than the system i have on my porch. Get it up and running and see how the child reacts arround it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '21, 07:52 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Rcmaveric wrote:
Take a sheet of 3/4 ply wood. Then paint the side facing the water first with a wood sealer and then with rubberized paint like Flex seal. That will protect it from water splashing and it will last a few years.

Thanks Rcmaveric I appreciate your effort to help. You're totally correct in your response and I agree simple plywood would work. I should've written my goal up top instead of the middle of my question.

"I do not use a direct cover on my FT. I shade my fish but I don't use a lid. I really enjoy watching them and I want to avoid a solid lid (transparent would be fine) if possible. I do not want to fence it. Ultimately I would like to safely encourage him to look at it. I just want safety proof the top of the fish tank."

Thanks though... if you have any other suggestions my budget is wide open.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '21, 08:00 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I think I worded this wrong both of the responses assumed I just wanted a normal lid. I should've written that more clearly.

I'm looking for transparent locking lid. Plexiglass wire mesh type solutions.