All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '14, 23:22 

Are you human?: yes
I am wanting to raise some blue tilapia to release into a pond for algae control. Adults are indoors in aquariums. I will have a couple of fry tanks to get them started. My thinking is to hopefully get them to breed near the end of Feb, grow them out to a couple of inches indoors in the aquariums and hopefully by the middle of April be able to put them into (1 or more) ibc container(s) to grow out to about 4" near the beginning of June.

I have several questions regarding this plan. First of all, is the timing and growth amounts realistic? I've looked for information on the numbers of fish to safely put together into an ibc system, but the stocking numbers seem dependent on the size of the fish expected at harvest. If I intend to only grow the fish out to about 4 (or maybe 5) inches does this change the stocking numbers? How many of this size would be practical and efficient? Because of the timing, weather conditions are likely not going to be ideal for grow beds (at least not at 1st). I was thinking about a series of swirl filter followed by mechanical filter then a bio-filter. I am thinking this would require water changes as well. Or, would some sort of cool season plant and grow bed be simpler and more efficient?

I am not really concerned about plant harvesting. If a weed is more efficient for my purpose, so be it. I'm just looking for advice before I dive in too far. I appreciate any help or advice.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '17, 05:30 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Sounds good but may take longer to breed.

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '17, 12:03 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes.
I have 2 tanks 50 gal and 100 gal.

I am for sure overstocked with now 12 to 15 1 lb 8 to 10 inch fish in the 100 gal and 40 ish 3 to 5 inch in the 50 gal tank. I'm using Nile tilapia. They don't mind crowding. I do have to up my filtration game to keep things from getting too dirty.

I have had fish for 1 year they grow fast. They 50 gal I started with fry. 100 gal started with 3 to 5 inch juvies.

I heard 1 inch of fish per gallon of water but I think species type matters.

ap beginner.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28259

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '17, 13:03 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Aquatic Life Form
fin2blue wrote:
First of all, is the timing and growth amounts realistic? I've looked for information on the numbers of fish to safely put together into an ibc system, but the stocking numbers seem dependent on the size of the fish expected at harvest. If I intend to only grow the fish out to about 4 (or maybe 5) inches does this change the stocking numbers? How many of this size would be practical and efficient? Because of the timing, weather conditions are likely not going to be ideal for grow beds (at least not at 1st). I was thinking about a series of swirl filter followed by mechanical filter then a bio-filter. I am thinking this would require water changes as well. Or, would some sort of cool season plant and grow bed be simpler and more efficient?

Depends on the fish but e.g. Dr Lennard says 17Kg of fish per 1000L of water and to be on the safe side he says 15Kg per 1000L. Whatever the age and size of the fish, you need to keep up with these numbers to produce enough nitrogen for the max amount of vegetables.

Fish growth timing and size depends on couple of factors like optimum feeding, temperature, water chemistry, feed quality, dissolved oxygen amount and fish health. If your filters and nitrogen scrapers (vegetables) are going full steam, with an optimum feeding rate, you can have the mentioned timing and growth amounts.

Also a weed like dandelion fixes nitrogen from air and wouldn't grow well in media grow beds with liquid nitrogen available in the roots. So you need to grow things like lettuce, chard etc.

As you see there are a lot of variables in these formulas.

For a resilient backyard system, stock less fish and grow more vegetables.

Fish: Trout / Silver Perch
Hailea 80 air pump
1FT-1RFF-4GBs-1ST
Gurkan The Cheesemaker
Pictures of My AP System
My site

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '17, 13:25 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Aquatic Life Form
There are some optimizations formulas in this 2010 research paper

Fish: Trout / Silver Perch