All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Small Pond - NH - Zone 5
PostPosted: Jul 13th, '17, 06:29 

Are you human?: yes
looking to get started. my idea is just to make this area shown in the photo, to the dimensions in the small diagram by digging it out. Not sure if I would need a liner, basically my idea is to have it work like a tank, and to add pumps and filters, and use a couple aerators to create a circular water flow, so fish would just swim in a circle like in a tank.

Anyone done a small pond before? Don't really want to put a liner, then maybe I can have some snails and such for natural feed, and insects that would produce eggs in the water etc. Not sure if it will just keep the water all muddy looking, but might try that first and pump it out if I need a liner.

Never done any of this before, just always liked fish, so might try to raise some seasonal Rainbows or Brook Trout. Might try to overwinter a few just to see if I can do it, and keep the system going, but that's not really my main goal, just want to see if I can raise food, and this seems more reasonable to me than having pigs or a cow ... lol

Live on a 2.5 Acre lot in the suburbs.

Attachments:
File comment: pond spot
pond-spot.jpg
pond-spot.jpg [ 312.01 KiB | Viewed 822 times ]
File comment: dimensions
pond-tank.jpg
pond-tank.jpg [ 22.76 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '17, 05:04 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
What I would advise is using a liner, otherwise the water will quickly dry up. Also, you might want to consider clearing out some vegetation so sunlight can get through easier.

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '17, 01:16 

Are you human?: yes
I think I may try to select a better spot. The runoff from the driveway with salt etc ... may pollute the pond. Need to work the concept some more. I also am having difficulty justifying the effort and expense, the idea was to raise trout, but not sure if the temperature will get too hot in the summer, and if I'll have to rebuild the whole thing. That would raise cost and expense and make it prohibitive.

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '17, 04:49 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Yeah, salt and stuff from roads is not good. If you're worried about the fish getting to hot, put a shade over the pond/tank. Cost is always a big thing, but once you have ot started it can really pay off.