All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY PVC Hoophouse
PostPosted: Sep 1st, '17, 19:40 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
This is very exciting build Rob following avidly

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '17, 03:06 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Thanks Brian... I'm pretty excited too, so much that I came home at lunch time today since I already had 50 hours in at work and spent a couple hours getting things together to put it together. I have assembled the base, so now Sunday/Monday when I get a chance it will be time to level the base then start pounding stakes in, and then it will be time to start assembling hoops.

Attachment:
IMG_20170901_140923630-899x505.jpg
IMG_20170901_140923630-899x505.jpg [ 202.04 KiB | Viewed 2357 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '17, 17:31 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
rininger85 wrote:
dasboot, I just ordered some of those sponge cubes to try out but I think I'll need to find something cheaper in the long run. I can order them for $12 / 100 and have them shipped here from Thailand but it will take a month to get them, or I could pay $10 / 48 and have them in 2 days... so I paid the $10 to get them in 2 days for half as many. I guess if they work easier for me then I will know to order them in advance if I have to get them shipped from Thailand, or see if I can source some other type of sponge material here and cut my own cubes if I need to.

One of the main advantages for me here in Thailand is just how cheap they are,and seeing that rock wool isn't available it's the only choice,just a thought but have a look in China,Alibaba have bulk sellers.
First thing though is to try them and see if they work for you,give me a shout and I give you my method as simple as it is,I tried numerous ways to use them until I hit on the easiest and most fool proof.
During the rainy season here we have weeks of 100% humidity,this plays havoc with everything Iam trying to grow,one way around it with lettuce was to double seed the cubes and then harvest early,the beauty of this is you get 100 % germination.

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '17, 21:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I think I saw your method when I was reading your thread And, so I should be able to try it.

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '17, 16:40 
A posting God
A posting God

rininger85 wrote:
I think I saw your method when I was reading your thread And, so I should be able to try it.

One tip I don't think is in my thread,soak the cubes in bottled water with the PH adjusted to 6, give them time to soak through,then when you want to place the seedling in,take the cube from the water,don't ring it but let the action of putting the seed in just drain some of the water out,this is about the right amount of water in the cube. Place the seed approx 1/8 down inside the cube and when all your cubes are seeded stand them in a tray with water up to about a third of the cube.
Placing the seed in the cube is best done with a cocktail stick,when it's wet the seed stick magically to the end,allowing you to place the seed in the cube.

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '17, 00:21 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

What does the lowered pH do for seed starting?

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '17, 08:34 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I have 3 PVC anchors pounded in to the ground tonight before dark, only 19 to go. My arms are already tired. Pounding them in with the back side of a splitting maul because it's the best I've got, not much fun. Maybe tomorrow I'll try and use my t post pounder upside down seems how the posts aren't long enough to use the post pounder the right way ( or maybe I will leave the PVC longer so I can use the tpost pounder and just mark how deep I need it to go then cut them off in place with the circular saw instead of chop saw).

Got one hoop up just before dark to see how big it will be... Don't think it's going to be quite 8 ft in the middle... Had already taken care of my tape measure so didn't check.
Attachment:
IMG_20170903_201857358-899x505.jpg
IMG_20170903_201857358-899x505.jpg [ 78.98 KiB | Viewed 2332 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '17, 15:01 

Might be easier to pound them in if the ground is wet Rob.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '17, 19:33 
A posting God
A posting God

I can't wait to see it in the light. :notworthy:
How deep do they need to be? Damn 19 more... Does it matter if the top gets deformed? I love my 12 pound sledge :D . I don't see that size in stores anymore. It puts some kinda super power on the problem. :wink:
Brian

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '17, 19:44 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Scotty I have soaked a couple spots to soften it up, biggest issue is just going to be rocks... I'll do what I can and the rest will make due with however far I can pound them (I'm far from perfectionist)

Brian, I have only seen a couple of recommendations on depth, but I'm not really following any recommendations... My corner posts I was trying to pound 24 inch pieces down to make them even with the 2x8, but the rest I'm only cutting about 18 inches. I'm using scraps that I had laying around so lengths vary.

One recommendation said I needed to dig to frost line and then pour cement.... Seemed overkill to me seems how they will be screwed to the 2x8 too

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '17, 20:57 
A posting God
A posting God

Only reason I'd concrete them is to raise it up on the sides using cardboard concrete pored tubes
Attachment:
concrete-pour-tubes.png
concrete-pour-tubes.png [ 95.94 KiB | Viewed 2306 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '17, 00:28 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Four hoops up. For future reference when PVC says it is not pressure rated that means you cannot pound it into the ground either. It's about as strong as half frozen butter when you take a sledge hammer to it... At least I didn't waste money on it, was something I had laying around... Have to run to the store for a couple more length of schedule 40 to finish pounding the lengths in the ground for the hoops to sit in.

Attachment:
IMG_20170904_114338811-899x505.jpg
IMG_20170904_114338811-899x505.jpg [ 133.23 KiB | Viewed 2300 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '17, 03:16 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Finished putting the last hoop up just as it started spitting rain on me. My arms are so tired that my hands are shaking, but they are all up. Now I need to frame in the two end walls and put the beam down the center, but I need a break first.

Attachment:
IMG_20170904_150748476-899x505.jpg
IMG_20170904_150748476-899x505.jpg [ 165.2 KiB | Viewed 2295 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '17, 20:33 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I am very sore today. My hands barely work. My thumbs are the worst from pounding the PVC into the ground. The best way I found to get it to go without damaging the PVC too badly was to use the top of the head of the splitting maul, so I was holding the handle and pounding downwards like with a damper. If I bend my thumbs over to try and touch my hand the muscles all through my hand are aching. Luckily I don't seem to be in too much pain typing or using my mouse so I can actually work today.

I did manage to get most of one end wall framed in, but then it really started to get nasty like a bad storm was blowing in so I called it quits and went in to make some pepper jelly instead. One problem I realized as I was cleaning up... when I measured my windows to frame them in for that end I measured the outside of the window that I needed 36" clearance... but the inside needs 36.25" of clearance to fit... ugh! So I either have to install the window backwards (which I would then flip upside down as well to still keep it from leaking, which wouldn't be terrible because they are only single hung windows so it would make it so they open at the top instead of the bottom, and then if the ballasts go bad - which some of them are since these are recycled windows - then I wouldn't have to worry about them not staying open.) Or I will have to take a couple boards down and move them over another 1/4". Or I might go the easy route and make it so they are not square, leave the top where it is (it's screwed through the PVC hoop so don't want to add any more holes than I have to that close together) and just move the bottom over until I have room to make the window fit... I don't know when I'll work on it next to figure out what I want to do.

PostPosted: Sep 6th, '17, 09:41 
A posting God
A posting God

Soaking the cubes for a while in PH 6 ensures the PH is at that level,it's a habit I picked up from using rockwool in hydro, rockwool has a high natural PH and they needed soaking to lower it,so it's just a habit I still have.
Lovin the tunnel build so far,Iam just sat on my hands here until the funds are in place,it's so frustrating just tinkering everyday hahahah I must have drawn the system out so many times,rechecked all of my figures over and over,hopefully i will have news later this afternoon so that we can start this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next