All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY PVC Hoophouse
PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 05:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I just remember how much of a pain it was to get the galvanized pipe into the ground plumb to maintain the proper dimensions. I actually need a proper fish house so I do not have to worry about the added worry if something happens and not having a structure within the greenhouse footprint.

It'll would also give me a larger footprint of 25% for more growing area with the removal of both test/expansion system.....

just wait until the wrong time of year to start.....but then we are still trying to move.....:banghead:

Adam

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 21:41 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

well if you don't start you may never get anyplace with it... at least this way you are learning on this system so if you do move you can do it better next time is how I look at it.

I wasn't too worried about being perfect with any of the hoophouse... the PVC is pretty forgiving if it's not perfect.

I did pick up some longer screws that I will use 3 1/2" screws to secure the hoops to the beam instead of the 2 1/2" that barely work right now. So I'll get those replaced some time this week. I got busy getting materials for other projects and forgot to get materials for my perlins (was actually there for PVC for connecting my 200 IBC to my AP in the greenhouse but ended up buying 2x12's to build two more raised beds in the garden so spent more money than I wanted to)... but I am thinking I might just rip 2x4s down to 1x4s now that I have my nice table saw setup, then I can save some money by using 2x4's that I already have in the barn.

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 22:09 
Legend Member
Legend Member

well, the pipe, as I remember, was a bit forgiving, but my biggest problem was getting the heights of the base to be at basically the same elevation. That is why thinking t-posts b/c I can more easily microadjust the overall height with my t-post puller and then recompact the dirt around get it to bite (somewhat) again.

That is why I am liking your approach b/c I already have most of the materials and cost is minimal.......probably bite me later, but add it to the list of things to do before winter sets in.....

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 23:47 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

well I didn't really attempt to level mine either... originally I had planned on it, but when I attached the 2x8 frames together I put a level on it and decided to just leave it so it slopes slightly downhill. I would have probably had to raise the west end up a foot over the course of 40ft length to get the whole thing level (or dig in my clay on the east end)... didn't want to have to backfill that much dirt by hand either so I just let it go on a slight downhill slope.

When I pounded the ground PVC in I put them as close to 4ft spacing as I could, but there were a couple spots where 4ft spacing lined up directly with one of the overlap boards that I attached the two longer pieces together with, so they aren't all 4ft. When I attached them to the beam I did measure near the bottom to see what the spacing was then make it close to the same at the top to keep them mostly upright, but again I'm no perfectionist... so it's close enough =) I am counting on the beam and perlins adding enough strength that they don't have to be perfect.

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '17, 19:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

"purlin" -- just like my viola :)

That is why I'll probably have my second, and second to last, spaced 2' after the ends with 4' for the remainder so I'll be able to lap 4' on center with the bottom 2x?. Also I'll do that because the orientation would is in the direction of how the wind blows (East / West) to add a bit more strength and stability.

Now, if I were truly being economical, I would re-purpose part of my chicken coop and turn that into the fish house. however with all the mice that I have evicted, I just see it as potentially more problems b/c of where they would set up shop and havoc caused......plus I would not be able to get my tractor inside to dig the sump, :funny1: that would mean that I would have to dig out by hand *gasp!*

decisions.....decisions.....although now the wheels are turning.....

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '17, 01:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

welcome to my world... I don't have fancy tractors like you do. If I'm digging something I have my gloves and my shovel.

It sounds like if your chicken coop has room for a fish room to be put in it that you need more chickens =) I have my 10 layers out there, plus I just turned 12 meat birds loose last night, and I still have 6 more little girls in the brooder because they aren't big enough to defend themselves against the big girls yet, but the meat birds were so huge compared to them I decided to evict them last night. I went to TSC yesterday and they had all of their chickens on sale for $0.50 each, including the cornish X... I almost bought the 2 dozen cornish X they had left at $0.50 a piece, but then I thought about the timing... 8 weeks from now is gun season for white tail for us... I need to be able to fit at least 2 to 4 deer in my freezer at that point (at least for a few days between when we put it in the freezer and when he goes back to Florida). By the time I put 12 more chickens, plus need to process all of the Tilapia in there in the next few weeks I'm not going to have room to freeze my deer and my dad's deer. One of my freezers my dad had bought me years ago at my first house for the sole purpose of freezing his deer before he drives from Michigan to Florida with it... so I kind of feel guilty if I don't have room to freeze his deer for him since the deep freeze is really his...

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '17, 09:16 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I have earned my PHD many times over. (Post Hole Digger) and I am not afraid of a little manual excavation if needed. It is just the first 12" that is a PITA when you are trying to make a 10-12" diameter hole below frost line.

We had over 150 birds in the beginning and had a place to sell the eggs so wife said DO and I DID! We are now down to about 35 birds and plenty of room to be free Range or with winter and protected area and still be outside.

Still having issues with something, so tomorrow is tidy up and get things stowed for winter.

Adam

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '17, 04:32 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Yowza! I forgot to mention that I ordered my greenhouse plastic on Friday since the forum was down all weekend... This morning I was wondering what the status was because I hadn't seen anything about in process or anything.. didn't find anything. This afternoon I got an email that provided a tracking number but I didn't have a chance to see where it was at... I get home and there is a six foot box sitting out front...pretty sure that's what it is because it's the only thing I've ordered lately. So I might make progress on the hoop house again soon.

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '17, 20:55 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
six foot box full of greenhouse covering? It must be heavy. Best of luck on this part of one of the projects.

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '17, 21:23 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I think the shipping paperwork said it's about 45 pounds. I don't know if I'll get a chance to put it up any time soon or if I'll have to wait until my dad is up to help me. He will be up in about 10 days or so I think... so no more than a couple weeks from now I should have it enclosed hopefully.

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '17, 23:26 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Very cool that your Dad is involved

PostPosted: Nov 2nd, '17, 19:35 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

my dad = free labor! =) he came up to visit for Sam's 1st birthday party so I put him to work changing out the bottom board of the window in Sam's room because it was really punky from the inside could tell it was rotting... he tore it apart to find a million carpenter ants living inside of it. So he replaced the board and took care of the ant problem. I could have done this myself, but my dad spent 15 years working for Carefree which was a local window company that he built windows for a living... I'd rather not have to learn how to do it when he can do a nicer job!

The time before that he was up for hunting season last year I put him to work helping me redo my wrought iron fence / handrail because it had about 6" gaps between the bars so I needed to enclose it so the kid couldn't fall down the stairs... so we covered it with wood that looks like old barn wood...

The time before that he came up to visit when Sam was born I put him to work helping me get the beam and roof on my small greenhouse. The trip before that he helped me remodel my laundry room / half bath. I had already built the wall and drywalled it and tiled the 2 1/2 ft addition to match the existing tile then he helped me texture the ceiling and install all of the cupboards and counter top. The first time he visited after we bought our house he remodeled the main bathroom for me... I had already tore everything out and put new drywall up and set a new tub in, he tiled the tub walls and tiled the bathroom floor for me... so I watched and learned then remodeled and tiled the master bathroom shower and floor myself after that...

My dad has made a living doing this kind of work since he left the window company about 20 years ago... and he had gone to school for carpentry and building trades and used to build houses before he started working at the window company. When I was a teenager I spent the summers working with him remodeling houses so that is how I've learned to do most of everything I've done... he does a far nicer job than I do so when he's here I get his help while I can =)

I think the only project I have in mind for him this trip is to help me get the plastic on the hoop house... otherwise I don't have any other projects that I really need help with right now (or that I have money to work on anyways), so I'm going to let him off easy this trip (at least I hope it will be easy to get the plastic stretched and attached).

PostPosted: Nov 2nd, '17, 21:13 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
rininger85 wrote:
my dad = free labor! =) he came up to visit for Sam's 1st birthday party so I put him to work changing out the bottom board of the window in Sam's room because it was really punky from the inside could tell it was rotting... he tore it apart to find a million carpenter ants living inside of it. So he replaced the board and took care of the ant problem. I could have done this myself, but my dad spent 15 years working for Carefree which was a local window company that he built windows for a living... I'd rather not have to learn how to do it when he can do a nicer job!

The time before that he was up for hunting season last year I put him to work helping me redo my wrought iron fence / handrail because it had about 6" gaps between the bars so I needed to enclose it so the kid couldn't fall down the stairs... so we covered it with wood that looks like old barn wood...

The time before that he came up to visit when Sam was born I put him to work helping me get the beam and roof on my small greenhouse. The trip before that he helped me remodel my laundry room / half bath. I had already built the wall and drywalled it and tiled the 2 1/2 ft addition to match the existing tile then he helped me texture the ceiling and install all of the cupboards and counter top. The first time he visited after we bought our house he remodeled the main bathroom for me... I had already tore everything out and put new drywall up and set a new tub in, he tiled the tub walls and tiled the bathroom floor for me... so I watched and learned then remodeled and tiled the master bathroom shower and floor myself after that...

My dad has made a living doing this kind of work since he left the window company about 20 years ago... and he had gone to school for carpentry and building trades and used to build houses before he started working at the window company. When I was a teenager I spent the summers working with him remodeling houses so that is how I've learned to do most of everything I've done... he does a far nicer job than I do so when he's here I get his help while I can =)

I think the only project I have in mind for him this trip is to help me get the plastic on the hoop house... otherwise I don't have any other projects that I really need help with right now (or that I have money to work on anyways), so I'm going to let him off easy this trip (at least I hope it will be easy to get the plastic stretched and attached).

A lovely post,this brought back loads of memories of working with my father,god bless him,I would be fussing away on something trying to get it as good as I could and most instances it’s was going to be out of sight,he would look over my shoulder and say,oh for god sake Whitchurch it ain’t got to fly. Even now when I am taking longer than I should those words ring in my ears,I smile and still take no notice.

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '17, 00:07 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

dasboot wrote:
A lovely post,this brought back loads of memories of working with my father,god bless him,I would be fussing away on something trying to get it as good as I could and most instances it’s was going to be out of sight,he would look over my shoulder and say,oh for god sake Whitchurch it ain’t got to fly. Even now when I am taking longer than I should those words ring in my ears,I smile and still take no notice.

My dad's is "good enough... caulk it!" but I haven't heard him say it in a few years because I think my uncle that he used to work with at the window company picked on him enough that he doesn't say it anymore... now he mostly works by himself and has customers nearby so he's probably quit saying that for both reason that 1) the customer might hear him and 2) he'd look funny talking to himself.

With that said, my dad's work is still much nicer than anything I do because I don't have the patience for it, always in a hurry my projects don't turn out as nice as his (even if his did have to be caulked!)

He is pretty particular about his caulk though.. no cheap stuff! When he worked at the window company he was on the high end bay/bo line and there was only him and one other guy that knew how to build the window line he was on... his foreman would try and give them cheap caulk to save money and he'd refuse to use it because the owner of the company had some complaints about the cheap caulk so any time they tried giving him the cheap stuff he'd tell them he wasn't going to use it even if they tried to force it down his throat he'd say he'd just go have a chat with the owner of the company...they'd bring him the good caulk!

PostPosted: Nov 6th, '17, 01:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Productive Sunday morning! My mother in law and brother in law helped me do a thing this morning... Ta-da!

Attachment:
IMG_20171105_113623932-899x505.jpg
IMG_20171105_113623932-899x505.jpg [ 82.02 KiB | Viewed 2542 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20171105_113748705-899x505.jpg
IMG_20171105_113748705-899x505.jpg [ 106.27 KiB | Viewed 2542 times ]

I need to put a couple more boards around the door then I can cut the door out. Need to build a door frame too, but I'm now further along than I expected to be, and I think it will make a nice place to work as the weather is nasty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next