All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '18, 16:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: unsure
Graf wrote:
nice looking. re silver perch, not sure of suppliers as i've just started and trying the Trout/Barra rotation. There does appear to be a place in Lewiston that sells SP fingerlings, seem to be batches of 50 tho @~$3.00 each. Gumtree search will find it.

I bought mine from the bloke at lewiston.

Depends how often you come down to the big smoke I reckon.

If you buy from interstate they may be able to courier them to you up on the river.

Sometimes the interstate suppliers have deals on shipping.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '18, 16:38 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
piney wrote:
Pics coming. Will retry tomorrow.

I am ready to get some Silver Perch. Can any of you South Aussies recommend the best source ? Looking for 50. Most affordable sources seem to be interstate.
I figure its that cold atm I might not rush.

I am using mains water. Our supply to our farm goes straight into a tank. We dont use much at all, so it sits there for a long time, would I need to aerate that before topping up my system to get the chlorine out ?

I have a good supply of rainwater but all the roofs are corrugated iron & I dont want to risk using that.
Congrats. Is the mains water from a well? First fish! This is such an exciting time.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jul 31st, '18, 17:35 

Are you human?: yes
So the nitrites did drop to zero. So I ordered my silverperch from Live Fish. Should be here in a day or two.

However in preparation for the fish coming, I topped up the water level in the sump as it was down a bit. Put in 300litres of chlorine free mains water which is what I've been using all along. Checked the water this morning & the ammonia levels have come up to 0.5 . it was at zero.

Any need for concern? The only other thing I've done is brush off the inside of the tank with a brush as the green algae was building up.

PostPosted: Aug 7th, '18, 07:13 

I have fish! Odered 50 silver perch from Live fish in Qld, Arrived safely & after a week still no deaths.

In previous post I mentioned ammonia was up but it came down again by itself & everything was stable again. I presume it was because I topped up the water level.

All is good except that this morning I tested the water & the nitrates are down to zero! They have been at 20 all the way up to now. So it has to be something to do with adding the pellets I guess. Are the bacteria using the nitrates to break down the pellets? I can see on the bottom of fishtank in the middle where the water moving drops any uneaten pellets in to one area. Please advise me ,but I think I am overfeading these babies.

PostPosted: Aug 7th, '18, 08:02 

Are you human?: YES
Don't be concerned about your nitrates being at zero. The plants probably just kicked in and started to use them. Many systems run without any detectable nitrates because the plants use them the first chance they get. You should remove any uneaten pellets and you probably are overfeeding if you have these on the bottom of the tank. Keep a watch on how your plants look and learn to see problems like deficiencies and diseases.

The ammonia may have gone up because you scraped the sides of the tank. This could be either because the algae died and started to break down or the organisms on the side of the tank were helping with processing ammonia. As your system ages it will get a bit more durable and little things like this won't matter as much.

PostPosted: Aug 8th, '18, 19:29 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: 01111001 01100101 01
Nice going piney, it would be great to get an update and some pictures.

:thumbleft: :thumbright:

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '18, 20:13 

So everything is ticking over well. Still no deaths. Need to find time to start the wicking bed.

Meanwhile I am planning a shadehouse / greenhouse. I have always thought that I would build a greenhouse with shadecloth over the top in summer. But am wondering if I need a greenhouse at all. My plants this winter have survived well so far. Would they do even better with one?

There is no doubt I need shade cloth in summer. We have recorded several days of 45 degrees each summer recently.

I am thinking a simple shedlike design but covered in shadecloth/plastic.

Those of you in South Australia what are your thoughts regarding the necessity of a greenhouse please.

PostPosted: Sep 25th, '18, 08:45 

I'm in the design stage of my shadehouse. Came up up with the idea of permapine posts & trusses. However it occurred to me that permapine in the roof structure may not be recommended as far as being poisoness to the fish. Is this correct. I could use normal pine but I dont think the lifespan would be very long.

PostPosted: Sep 25th, '18, 11:29 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Hi Piney, I'll definitely be looking at some sort of shading, I have the IBC FT clad in corrugated iron with a EPS lid. the FT and GB's will be in full sun from midday onwards as it orients west and is shaded from the east by the shed. I would imagine it will get very hot otherwise. I plan on setting up some battens from the shed to an espaleir top rail thats about 4m from the shed and then using some 50% or 75% shade cloth, not sure which yet.

I do have a polycarb greenhouse that I've built and used the first time this year, mainly to get an early jump on germinating seed, esp heritage tomato/pumpkin etc that would not outside currently, that being said if you have a nice spot inside on a windowsill you could achieve the same thing. Over summer it's likely I'll not have anything in the poly house as it will be too bloody hot even if covered by shade cloth and vents/doors open.

PostPosted: Sep 25th, '18, 19:54 

Thanks Graf. Does anyone know wether the permapine timber is safe or not?