All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '18, 05:49 

Are you human?: no
Hello! Brand new to forum. Need advice. Im a hunter/fisher and supply 30% of family protein, now want to get the family into gardening. We did a raised bed for 1 yr using "Square Foot" technique. Wasn't great. In Southern GA, summers get to be 100 degrees, and winters 30's with occasional frost. My wife "may" let me put up a 10'x12' greenhouse, so that is what Im working with. Any input/advise is greatly appreciated.
Attachment:

Attachment:
Greenhouse 1.0 compressed.jpg
Greenhouse 1.0 compressed.jpg [ 50.43 KiB | Viewed 562 times ]

1. Started design with IBC (275 gallon) but read ratio of Bed to Water should be 2:1 so, since I have only bout 70 gallon of "beds" decided to try a 55 gallon drum.
2. Plan is ten 4 gallon double dutch buckets for things like tomatoes, squash, peppers, strawberries and the like. I've read that perilite works well with dutch buckets with painter strainer bags.
3. A tray for things like garlic, herbs, or starter plants. Not sure if this should be water or have media in it.
4. Square vinyl 5" x 6' posts with grow cups for leafy things, lettuce, spinach, some herbs, just water, no media?
5. All this drains into a Reservoir, which is then pumped across the the tank.
6. Interested in "geyser" type airlift pump, either to get the water from Reservoir to Drum or from Drum to Buckets, or both?
7. Since Im in South Georgia, was think Tilapia (but some finger mullet would be great bait to have on hand!)
8. Based on my initial research was thinking about a "Constant Flood" system, seems a bit easier, and more forgiving?
9. Am I totally insane?

Again, thanks in Advance!!
Vic / RoseCo Farm

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '18, 21:26 

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? .... (crickets)...I knew it! I AM INSANE!

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '18, 04:07 

Are you human?: YES
Welcome to the forum rosecofarm :wave: .

I can see some things I'd change but then it may work anyway :dontknow: .

1. I think most people here would avoid perlite and use some other media. It tends to break up over time if you handle it much. The heavier and more expensive expanded clay would be better - easy on your hands, easy to handle without it getting everywhere and gives good plant support (You'll still need support for the tomatoes from above or a cage).

2. I'm not sure about heat gain in this setup but it does concern me. When you have narrow channels with lots of surface area, they pick up heat pretty fast. They'd probably be good for some times of year but not the summer. I like the dutch bucket idea better.

3. You can grow Tilapia in a 55 gallon drum but I'd go with a larger tank like an IBC. Room to swim is a good thing as they get larger.

In warm weather starting the plants in the system works pretty well but in cooler weather or if you're having damping off issues, it works better to start them separately and grow them to a few inches tall before putting them in the system. The water tends to warm just a bit slower than raised soil beds and also cools slower than soil so I use both, they compliment each other.

That's it for now.

PostPosted: Dec 23rd, '18, 06:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Yes, ignore 2:1 ratio get the most water you can to have the most stable system possible, then stock your fish levels to the amount of growbed/media/filtration you have. IBC is way better. I'd skip the vinyl fence posts myself too.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Dec 25th, '18, 20:52 

Hey thanks for reply

Makes sense on the IBC vs the 55 gallon drum, I have a drawing with that too, its a bit big for a 10x12 HF GH I think it could still work.

The idea of the 4" vinvl posts came from a youtube video where this guy used them mainly for lettuce and for starter veggies in 2 in grow pots, then would move the veggies to the dutch buckets when they got bigger. But the salads looked really good.

Last question: How about tubers and roots, like potatoes, carrots, and esp onioins. we eat a lot of onioins.

Thanks

PostPosted: Dec 26th, '18, 03:43 

Are you human?: YES
Onions, Leeks, Chives, Garlic and Shallots all do really well in AP. Most root vegetables like carrots and potatoes I grow in wicking beds which you could attach to your AP if you want. Food and Fish has a good thread about wicking beds and there are plenty of others if you do a search.