All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '19, 02:19 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Hi all, not sure if this question goes here, but here we go.

Over the past 6 months, my small commercial system has gone through several setbacks, the latest of which have been relentless plagues of aphids, thrips, and downy mildew. I have not yet been able to control these plagues yet with weekly applications of neem oil being sprayed. Soon I will be trying other sprays including white oil, rosemary tea, baking soda and/or potassium bicarbonate.

What I would like to discuss here, is if anyone has suggestions or ideas on a schedule for such applications. How often to spray, how to alternate between treatments, what time to spray, and so on?

I am sure many hear have faced similar challenges, just want to get other growers inputs and anecdotes about these sorts of management plans.

Cheers.

P.S. I am mainly growing basil and lettuce.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '19, 21:24 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya kij2, probably why commercials prefer hydroponics over aquaponics.
I've seen sacrificial plants used to some effect and bought beneficial insects like ladybugs and lacewings also seem to be popular in the States.

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '19, 09:15 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Assuming system in greenhouse

Greenhouses help us grow plants out of season which every sap sucking B@@@@@d love us for

How are your nitrate levels and general nutrition , plants that are growing quickly are nice and tender for us , and also for the bugs

You say you cant get predator insects , I have never bothered with them

The only spray ive used in the last couple of years is the caterpillar bacteria

I use small lizards and spiders im always catching them and releasing them into a stack of tree branches under my growbeds , where they are safe and dry and can live if they want , they work for free all night.

Firstly know your enemy learn its life cycle what it likes and hates (eg Temperature) aphids for example have an overwinter stage and ants farm them .

Do less sooner if you see one aphid kill it as next week it will have turned into lots the next week you will have a thousand.

Greenhouses shelter the bugs from natures extremes which is why they create so much trouble in them

You will need many approaches to keep on top of this (trapping with sticky traps ect) (calendular will trap them also)

Grow plants they cant resist in pots to attract them (aphids will run through fire to get to a brussel sprout plant)

Take pot away and hose off aphids ect and replace to catch the next lot

Humans have been fighting insects with sprays for a very long time now and havnt won the battle .

The organic type sprays are only a small part of the solution.

:think:

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '19, 22:30 

Are you human?: yes
I've been having the same problem in my greenhouse. But I also have spider mites. Because they go into the clay ball media it's proving to be just that little more difficult to control.

I'm no commercial operator just a personal pet project.

I've been using Pyrethrum based products as it claims to break down in sunlight. But as they do kill fish I'm always paranoid spraying to much on just in case it leaches into the fish tank.

I've tried using predatory bugs. But because I have automatic adjusting vents they all flew away.

I did some research and apparently spinetoram also kills leaf eating bugs without killing the fish. I've just bought some. It is suppose to last longer on the leafs than what Pyrethrum does, as it apparently does not breaks down in sun light.

No idea if it going to be any better.

Trying to grow veggies naturally is proving more difficult than I thought.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '19, 21:19 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Thanks Terra and thespider23 for your suggestions.

@Terra, I will look into using a more integrated approach to my problem. Hopefully it works out.

@thespider23, since I am based in a country that is many centuries behind in its agriculture, it is very difficult to find organic or good pesticides. I doubt I will be able to find spinetoram, but I will keep it in mind next time I am at the market.