All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: New Tank
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '19, 18:07 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: last time I looked
Well just a bit of background. I had a system up and running and all was well. Then I upped and relocated and during all that I had to do the fish were a little neglected. Subsequently I had a big algae bloom Solution was to remove my seven (getting bigger trout ) to what was the sump and added tap water to fill it to about 700 litres. I have the grow bed on top of this now tank and everything seems to have survived. Been over a week.The water though is still greenish and I definitely cant see the far end of the tank, but the fish are feeding well twice a day

Now I have the new 1200 litre tank ready, painted and cladded. So no Algae this time around.

My question is this
Can I fill the tank with tap water and await say 24 hours (put some water nuetreliser in) and then drop fish in. Given that the grow bed is well established and the water will be flowing into there and then back to tank. I will aerate the new water at a great rate of knots if that helps?

I dont want to use any water that has algae left as I want to be able to see the tank and have a good quality water for the fish.

Hope all that makes sense? If not please reply or PM me as I am desperate to get the fish into thier new home and have them fatten up

Cheers Rod

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: New Tank
PostPosted: Jun 20th, '19, 00:42 

Are you human?: YES
You should check that the water parameters like pH and temp aren't that different but assuming everything looks good then you can probably do this. I would try with a couple of fish and see how they make out before transferring the whole batch.

I'd use the water with algae out in the garden since it's got nutrients your other plants can use.