All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: First Aquaponics Design
PostPosted: Aug 4th, '20, 23:19 

Are you human?: YES
Hi New to Aquaponics. Going to build my own setup from scratch.

I plan to use DWC and Continuous Flow.

Fish Tank is 200 Gallons

Grow Media is 75 gallons

Sump Tank is 55 Gallons

Filters is 5 Gallons

This is my design through together quickly for you to see. I plan to use gravity at every position other then the sump, which has the water pump. I am not sure where to put the filters bucket to get it to flow properly, it fills up but will not empty into the sump. Current biggest issues with my setup.

Please criticize and deconstruct my setup and provide feedback and guidance on what i am doing wrong, what i could do better and how to fix any issues.

Thank you.

Attachments:
fish1.gif
fish1.gif [ 28.28 KiB | Viewed 1246 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 5th, '20, 07:16 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya Lilmink, I’ll start by asking what solids/bio filter you’re planning on using? Generally, and I may be wrong, (I frequently am), the filter water inlet and outlet are at the top with the waste drain at the bottom. It also requires frequent cleaning which adds an extra maintenance factor but necessary if not using grow bed media as the bio filter.
Like yours my system is gravity fed with constant height in the fish tank and the pump in the sump (chift pist) and had an in-line radial filter which fed the grow beds. Worked well but have removed the filter due to the extra maintenance.
Do some research on a solids lifting overflow (SLO) before putting a hole at the bottom of your fish tank. ;)
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '20, 11:19 

Are you human?: YES
skeggley wrote:
Hiya Lilmink, I’ll start by asking what solids/bio filter you’re planning on using? Generally, and I may be wrong, (I frequently am), the filter water inlet and outlet are at the top with the waste drain at the bottom. It also requires frequent cleaning which adds an extra maintenance factor but necessary if not using grow bed media as the bio filter.
Like yours my system is gravity fed with constant height in the fish tank and the pump in the sump (chift pist) and had an in-line radial filter which fed the grow beds. Worked well but have removed the filter due to the extra maintenance.
Do some research on a solids lifting overflow (SLO) before putting a hole at the bottom of your fish tank. ;)
Hope this helps.

Solids filter I have a swirl filter with a mesh bag on top also two different size circular filters. Bioballs for Biofilter.

Thank you for the insight will look into it!