All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '18, 18:50 

Are you human?: yes
I have built a system in my back bedroom and I am slowly working through the usual problems, I have a wee leak and my Hydroton is floating etc but one issue I need to remedy is the noise from the return to the fish tank. I don't want to disturb my neighbours below so am thinking to have the return pipe below the water level to reduce sound. I know this will reduce the levels of oxygenation but I have a large air pump running two air stones and my 3 flood and drain beds should ensure adequate levels.

I'm just wondering if there is any reason I should not do this? I can't think of any but I have been wrong before.

It is a simple set up, a 300l fish tank and 3 hydroton growbeds. No sump.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '18, 14:49 

Are you human?: YES
Bump

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '18, 15:37 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
Number 47 wrote:
my Hydroton is floating
There are floaters in every brand of clay, but the amount varies. If you make the top of your standpipe 50mm below the surface of the exp' clay it won't rise/float if it's German clay (it may do a little with the first few F&D cycles, until they find their place, so place a brick over the top of your gravel guard). With the cheap Chinese and Thai clays, all, or most of the beads will float, basically making it useless for aquaponics.

Quote:
am thinking to have the return pipe below the water level to reduce sound. I'm just wondering if there is any reason I should not do this?
Wouldn't be an issue with timed F&D, but may make it difficult to get bell siphons working reliably, but there are ways of doing it, ie: With your bell siphons, have the short length of horizontal pipe that is after the elbow, run into a larger diameter, unsealed pipe (so the siphon will break), that then runs under the water level.

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '18, 17:20 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I also have mine indoors,and I know exactly what you mean with the noise issue.
Since you don't have a sump you can use a timer with a stand pipe with a hole down the bottom of it & have the drain pipe below the water surface and this will reduce the noise significantly.And that will still bring Oxygen down when the cycle is running (you can see it).Plus you have an air pump.

The Hydroton issue,your stand pipe is too high.If It's rubbish like Hydrocorn,you need to make the stand pipe at least 2 inches deep but usually more.The floating is a real problem with some clays.Sometimes it sounds like an earthquake on the flood cycle.

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '18, 12:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Yep, run your return pipe down below the water surface, nice and quiet and you'll be surprised at the amount of bubbles being pushed down deep into your fish tank.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Dec 16th, '18, 20:42 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
depending on your return pipe setup you can also add a bend etc and put an air hole/airpipe into the return pipe.
That will suck additional air in with the flowing water - as indoors a pipe may be a bit safer than simply a hole.
using a pipe size increaser (to larger diameter pipe will also help to get bit more air in without too much noise).
return pipe can also be angled rather than vertical so you get a partially filled pipe flow into the FT.

if siphon has to be below the siphon.....

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Dec 18th, '18, 00:28 

Are you human?: yes
Thanks guys. Have now modified the pipe to return underwater. Is working a treat. Also noticing the air bubbles. Bonus.

As for my floating clay. I added more after it has run a few cycles and the problem is mostly reduced. Still slight rising but I still have room to add some more and this should be the issue dealt with.