All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '20, 05:30 

Are you human?: Yes
Hello all.

I have started to venture down the AP rabbit hole and have come across a hurdle that has me at a stand still. When i started to to build my setup, I purchased this shelf from my local hardware store https://www.homedepot.com/p/Muscle-Rack-72-in-H-x-48-in-W-x-24-in-D-5-Shelf-Z-Beam-Boltless-Steel-Shelving-Unit-in-SilverVein-UR482472PB5P-SV/300097686 based on the weight capacity listed, looks and the price, it seemed like a solid buy.

Now that it is built, I seriously question the load capacity of each shelf and don't feel comfortable having my 42 gal. tank and grow bed on it, specially since it will be inside. As you can imagine, a collapse would be a total cluster f*%CK and my hardwood floors would not be happy.

I will be returning the shelf back to the store but this will leave me unable to setup my system as I do not have anywhere to put the tank, grow beds, etc.

I am hoping you all can help with this. Does anyone have any easy and cost effective solutions for indoor systems? I would prefer it if:

• - Budget friendly (Under 60-70$)
  • - Same size as the previous shelf since I don't have any more room than that (72" H X 48" W X 24" D)
  • - Would prefer not to build it myself out of wood as I do not currently own the tools necessary to do so
  • - Bonus points if it is somewhat aesthetically pleasing since it will be in my living room area
  • - Need to be able to incorporate a grow light since the placement will not be near a window

I know this is a somewhat tall order but I am hoping that with the vast knowledge on this forum, someone will have a creative solution that I may not have considered!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '20, 14:07 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

An Aquarium Stand Big enough to take your fish tank in the bottom section , Growbed on top

Check second hand furniture places for a strong solid wood cupboard

Also online used sites for strong benches

If you know someone who can weld , or have a engineering place nearby , cut a IBC cage to the required depth they will carry a Ton on top Clad it with something nice

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '20, 18:00 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
I built my indoor system using a wooden pallet cut to size and excess wood from pallets to build a platform for the growbed directly above the FT like Terra suggests.

I did it with a hand-saw and a screwdriver.

heres the link: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28311

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '20, 06:48 

Terra wrote:
An Aquarium Stand Big enough to take your fish tank in the bottom section , Growbed on top

Check second hand furniture places for a strong solid wood cupboard

Also online used sites for strong benches

If you know someone who can weld , or have a engineering place nearby , cut a IBC cage to the required depth they will carry a Ton on top Clad it with something nice

Good ideas, thanks. I will look at stands as i had not considered them!