All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 20:12 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I think you're looking for an argument for the sake of an argument... Do you think that it looks good?

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 20:34 

Are you human?: Nope! I'm a machine.
I dont get you Earthan Group. You create this thread about an aquaponics university acting all innocent (almost like you are new to AP) yet if I google Earthan Group I see a web page saying they can do anything AP (or Aquaculture or dirt garden). Coincidence? I think not.

You almost get defensive when people start picking on the intentions of the university. Additionally over on another thread you start to sound authoritative and become argumentative.

What are your intentions on this forum? To become a contributing member of this community or troll?

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 20:46 

Are you human?: Daughters think not
Troll of the highest order. He knows stuff for sure but why he is trying to promote this Colle peson is suspect for sure, and probably just trying to get quotes from here to use elsewhere , so best ignored, I think

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 20:51 

Are you human?: mostly
Best banned I think

Freo system | Spearwood
ImageImage

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 20:54 

Are you human?: Not in the morning !
Man, I disappear for a few weeks, you'd think the least you guys coulda done is get rid of the loser-trolls ..........?

I had put w&nkers instead of the above, but it got "sigh"ed out.

My System: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5264
My Website: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
My Blog: http://www.seaweedguy.com

Last edited by chillidude on Aug 23rd, '11, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 20:56 

Are you human?: Nope! I'm a machine.
Why sink to their level? How about we all just ignore the troll from now on and hopefully it will go away on it's own accord?

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 20:57 

Are you human?: Daughters think not
Our spam assassin has gone missing :(

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 21:01 

arbe wrote:
Why sink to their level? How about we all just ignore the troll from now on and hopefully it will go away on it's own accord?

Arbe, you're right of course - but it is kinda funny to watch 'em when they reckon they're doing something to their benefit but you know everyone is thinking they're just a knob ! :lol:

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '11, 23:44 
I'm not sure what Pauls intentions were in posting the website... he may comment on that...

But Paul (Earthan Group) is an Australian, with a proven knowledge of aquaculture and academic qualifications... and almost without doubt.. not linked to the site, or owners of the site posted...

The owner of the US site posted is Mr Colle Davis, and his wife Phylis.... who are responsible for "Portable Farms"...

Mr Davis popped up a few years ago.. claiming all sorts of things... including having been doing aquaponics for anywhere between 20-40 years.. depending which blog he was on.... and various other qualifications and references that have... like his initial, and since "refined" systems.... attract a degree of questioning and criticism...

Besides his claims to many years of aquaponic experience... which weren't borne out by pictures of his initial systems... or by people who visited his "farm... or bought his systems....

He makes incredible claims as to possible production yields....

Quote:
Yearly Production From the Portable Farms™ Aquaponics Systems

A 90' x 120' unit produces 60,000 vegetables and 23,000 pounds of fish

A 20' x 30' unit produces 3,600 vegetables and 1,400 pounds of fish

A 10' x 20' unit produces 1,100 vegetables and 400 pounds of fish

A 6' x 8' unit produces 400 vegetables and 100 pounds of fish

...claims to have a patented pumping method... that prevents pumps from clogging... while somehow magically removing solids from the system... while only pumping to the grow bed(s) twice daily.... (his new "patio" system does have a blue barrel "clarifier")...

Here's a link.. that has some comments by people who have dealt with him.... read the comments...

http://directory.ponics.org/link-337/po ... farms.html

He's been panned on every aquaponics forum worldwide... and reviews of his systems haven't been exactly flattering either....

P.S.... after several "moves"... he no longer lives in the US... having "relocated" to Central America... :wink:

Even in his own "history" on his website... he even says that his wife Phylis... a marketing manager.... told him that if he was going to keep fiddling with his little system... to make it bigger.. and she would market it... :wink:

http://www.portablefarms.com/about-us.htm

I will add... that Mr Davis has considerably... refined and improved his systems over the last couple of years...

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '11, 04:34 
RupertofOZ wrote:
I'm not sure what Pauls intentions were in posting the website... he may comment on that...

But Paul (Earthan Group) is an Australian, with a proven knowledge of aquaculture and academic qualifications... and almost without doubt.. not linked to the site, or owners of the site posted..

Thanks for your point of view John, I had not heard of this guy anywhere.

As I originally said, the link was sent to me by email and I posted it here to see what you all think, and you will notice I also posted it on Murray and Garys forums.

I hardly think it is spam to discuss a website related to aquaponics on a public aquaponics discussion forum where I might add you guys post plenty of "sites" and bash to your hearts content. Especially one that plans to offer training around aquaponics.

I have no affiliation what so ever with this mob and I am certainly not a spammer. I did email Colle Davies myself to see what it is all about rather than make judgement from the surface.

This is the response I got to my questions around the content of the course and samples for us to review...

Quote:
Paul,

You are very kind to write to me. I'm a little confused though, the overview of the curriculum is posted on each of course's sites so everyone can review the key points of each of the course's curriculum. Potential participants can see what is being offered and decide which course is best for them.

If you would like to review the full curriculum then you can take the course that is best suited for your needs. After forty years in the field of aquaponics, our systems are now placed worldwide and our technology has stood the test of time, climate and use of applications. The Portable Farms™ Aquaponics System online course is a much more complete course of study than the PatioPonics Portable Farms™ course because it covers the entire technology including the building and operations of a climatically adapted structure. If you sign up before 1 September, you can receive the discount noted in the newsletter.

Thank you again for your input.

Now that I have it from the horses mouth, I can make judgement, though I doubt entering into a blind bash session with you guys is on my agenda.

This "Aquaponics University" raised a question for me in regards to adequate training availability for those that would make a living or career out of aquaponics. Aquaponics in Australia is being promoted to the fishing industry as an alternative income or career choice by an education institution. As our natural fisheries resources dwindle jobs are being lost and fisheries worker are being pushed into alternate avenues. There has always been tension between aquaculture and fisheries guys as they are competing in the same markets but there it has been proven, even awarded that aquaponics could fill the gap.

Aquaponics here in Australia is up for a national award in October this year specifically for its part in that work with fisheries.

It is the very same question I discussed with that same actual education institution a few weeks ago which may result in an online cert course. I hope that one gets some legs on it. Would I venture into this "Aquaponics University" course, not at all nor would I recommend it to anyone now I have some information about it.

Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '11, 08:24 

Earthan Group wrote:
Aquaponics here in Australia is up for a national award in October this year specifically for its part in that work with fisheries.

I don't understand - how does "Aquaponics" win an award when it's not an entity ?

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '11, 08:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
chillidude wrote:
Earthan Group wrote:

I don't understand - how does "Aquaponics" win an award when it's not an entity ?

Easy....sponsor an award category...such as "Most Sustainable"

Keep it secret

Nominate yourself

???

Profit

So in future, you can advertise on your website that you won an industry award.

System at my olds (deprecated)

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '11, 08:31 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
chillidude wrote:
Earthan Group wrote:

All the better to let it win then since there won't be anyone to collect the prize.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '11, 13:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RupertofOZ wrote:

I will add... that Mr Davis has considerably... refined and improved his systems over the last couple of years...

Which does make one wonder what he was doing for the other 38-39 years...

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 24th, '11, 13:03 
Watching his tomato seeds germinate in some cotton wool that his aquarium splashs onto.... :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next