All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '15, 04:37 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi everyone,

I have a slight pH issue in my system and I was wondering if I could get some advice on that. My system is currently around 7.6pH. From what Ive read, a pH somewhere between 6.5-7pH would be ideal for the fish(Bluegill, Carp Hybrid, and Channel Cat) and plant combinations I'm currently running. Any suggestions on bringing my pH into that 6.5-7 range? I have a 1KL IBC fish tank, and a roughly 1:1 ratio of complimentary grow space.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '15, 06:47 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

How long has your system been running for and has this been an ongoing battle over that time?

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '15, 09:10 

Cunningstunter: The system has been up and running for about a month now. Fish have been in for about two weeks.

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '15, 05:51 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I'm only 12 months into my AP journey so you might want to search the website and wait for others to chime in but I'll hazard a guess that once your system matures a little then the pH will come down naturally. I'm guessing you're still in the cycling phase > have you been testing your water chemistry?

Patience....

I can tell you this from my own experience, I tested my large outdoor system (1000-1200L water/300L grow media)regularly and the pH didn't drop for approx. 4 months. Then I got a bit slack in testing it (pH) because it had been so stable. I had a fish die so I checked the pH and it had dropped right down.

From what I understand, the pH will drop by itself as the nitrification process happens and then you'll be regularly adjusting the ph to raise it.

I'm now adding a tablespoon of hydrated lime once or twice a week (1000-1200litres) of water to raise the pH to 6.2-6.8 as well as the occasional dash of potash and magnesium sulphate.

I don't really know for sure, but I don't think a slightly high pH will be all that bad for the fish or the plants however if I'm wrong on any of my info then I'd suggest you post pics of your system/water tests for others to review.

I'd still think that your system is very new, won't have finished cycling and in about 4-6months time (pending on the pH of your water source for top ups) you'll be raising the pH like most seem to have to do.

I could be missing something but with such a new system, just give it some time mate! ;) and keep on top of the water tests (daily) for the first 6weeks, then once it's completed cycling you can probably just test once a week and watch for the point the water pH drops dramatically

Last edited by Cunningstunter on Nov 4th, '15, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '15, 06:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

You might have some iron uptake problems with a pH around 7.6 but it should be OK otherwise. As above... the pH should eventually start to drop by itself and then you'll have the opposite problem... in my case, it took about 6 months for that to happen.

In the meantime, if you want to drop pH a bit, many of us use hydrochloric acid... search the forum for advice on how much and how to do it.

My first system
My Murray cod system

PostPosted: May 23rd, '17, 13:10 

Are you human?: yes
Kwasimitsu wrote:
Cunningstunter: The system has been up and running for about a month now. Fish have been in for about two weeks.

How are the fish doing in this kind of system you setup? Can we get an update?