All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '17, 04:04 

Are you human?: YES
Hey Everyone,

This whole aquaponics technology has captured my imagination. I don't think we choose our problems. I think they choose us. And aquaponics is the one that chose me. I'm a freelance web developer (Ruby on Rails & React, basically aka what AirBnB is built in), and even though I'm not in a position at the moment I can get my own setup running, I do want to start making all the knowledge all over the internet more easy, accessible, and friendly. I think the world deserves to know.

I figure since I'm relatively new, if I build the tools that are useful for me as I go about growing things in my home, they'll be useful for other people, too. So off the bat, I wanted to get a page together just to explain: what is aquaponics? (I need to send this to my housemates :D) And get some useful interactions in there, like a "grow bed calculator" to really drive it home on how your life could be different.

Well - you can see the working draft of the page http://homefare.herokuapp.com/aquaponics

So, the first issue I'm running into is, where can I get data on output of aquaponic setups? You can see what I'm thinking in that explore tool there ( http://homefare.herokuapp.com/aquaponics#explore ) Because aquaponic setups can have varying planting density compared to traditional soil-based methods, I basically need an average per-plant yield rate of whatever it produces. I've reached out to a ton of people (phds, local botanical gardens, really just anyone) but haven't really gotten my hands on any data. And planting density under the hood will need to be a slider (because you can plant closer and further apart), but for this specific tool I'm just gonna use some averages.

I'm new to aquaponics in general, but not new to hard technical problems. So if there's established ways of publishing and contextualizing the info, even if they're dense, hit me up! Trying to learn. If it would be helpful, I can explain how I think I need to model plants and their yield rates, but right now I'm just trying to get some numbers.

Down the line, I'm going to build tools that help me plan out and monitor my eventual setup(s).

I'm deep in the pool of ignorance here, so even if it's not directly related feel free to add your thoughts.

Thanks,
Chris

ps my site is https://chriszempel.com/

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 13th, '17, 10:39 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Maybe launching some surveys on google forms would get some results, I saw something similar a few days ago on here. They needed info on different setups.