All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr 5th, '08, 18:32 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Thanks Ell

Does anyone know if adding salt to the system is likely to throw off the cycle a little as I am now seeing trace Nitrite. The Nitrite reading was .25 last night and is now between 0 and .25

Old 300 gallon System

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '08, 04:52 

Are you human?: no
I would go for the theory different system different circumstances i run salt all the time 2 1/2 to 3 ppm 6.5 to 7 ph all the rest 000 i have different medias in the grow beds put a couple of teaspoons cleated iron every 6 weeks and a slurp of seasol every three weeks

PostPosted: Apr 15th, '08, 21:23 

Had a discussion going about potassium chloride in the temp forum. So far no one piped in with any reason potassium chloride could not be used to salt for fish health.
I was also wondering if using potassium chloride might be easier on salt sensitive plants along with providing some extra potassium.
Just some thoughts.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '08, 07:26 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Vegetable
TCLynx wrote:
Had a discussion going about potassium chloride in the temp forum. So far no one piped in with any reason potassium chloride could not be used to salt for fish health.
I was also wondering if using potassium chloride might be easier on salt sensitive plants along with providing some extra potassium.
Just some thoughts.

Depends on if it's the Na or the Cl that the plants don't like... if it's the Cl then KCl isn't going to be any better. I don't know chemistry though.

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '08, 07:42 
A posting God
A posting God

Discussed on this link viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2775

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '08, 19:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
thanks for linking that sleepe! started reading from the start again :) man we got some good shit in here :)

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '08, 20:17 
A posting God
A posting God

Steve

Pity Alchemist dosn't seem to post anymore. I love chemistry lessons :)

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '08, 20:56 

Yes very instructive. :P

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Apr 19th, '08, 01:35 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Last edited by Don the fish feeder on May 12th, '08, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr 28th, '08, 23:54 

Ok, so I added salt to the system a while back to bring it up to 3 ppt. With some water changes due to spillage or a leak or plumbing modifications and then topping up and then of course topping up some due to evap and transp, How am I supposed to know what my salt level is now? I know a salt level test kit by API exists but when I asked in one Aquarium shop they said it would be so inaccurate as to be useless. They recommended I use my EC meter (I have a blue lab Truncheon,) ?How is that supposed to tell me the salt level in ppt? I did try dipping it into my system and it gave a very intermittent flash at 3.6 so that means that the actually value is above 3.6 but probably below 4.0 by my best guess. It has two different ppm scales on it (I have no idea how to know which one to use or if a reference mentions a number, which scale they are using.) one ppm scale is EC X 500 and the other is EC X 700. So by one scale I could measure ppm up to 2520 or the other up to 1800.

I could still get one of those salt level test kits but I would have to mail order it as I have not been able to find one locally. They seem to be a koi pond type item.

So any ideas on how to monitor my salt levels?

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Apr 29th, '08, 22:54 
TCL... Instructions should be printed on the truncheon...

To take a reading of your solution - simply place the probe head into the solution for 1-2 minutes to reach the same temperature as your nutrient. Remove from the solution and place back in to take the reading as indicated by the flashing lights.

If the lights flash back and forth between two values then the reading is between the two lights....

Rinse the probe after use in fresh water and clean the probe once a week to ensure the Truncheon remains accurate.

Bluelabs website is http://www.getbluelab.com ... have details on cleaning your probe, and conversion charts...

Edited to try and clarify...

Quote:
EC, CF and TDS(ppm) - just what are they?

First of all lets dispel the myth that they are all the same sort of measure - they are not.

TDS(ppm) refers to the actual quantity of a salt or salts in solution (Total Dissolved Solids) whereas EC and CF refer to the electrical conductivity (ie how easily the solution passes an electric current).

Now, we can measure EC (CF) quite easily by passing a high frequency AC current through the solution but we cannot directly measure ppm.

EC is measured in mS/cm (milli Siemens per centi metre) and CF is measured in units 1/10 of a mS/cm so the conversion between CF and EC is 1 EC (mS/cm) = 10CF.

So what about measuring the EC and then multiplying the answer by a conversion constant to tell us what the ppm is.

Unfortunately, this cannot be done for the simple reason that the conversion constant for every salt is different.

Beware of meters that provide a read-out in ppm, they will only give a correct reading for one particular salt - usually sodium chloride.

This is unfortunate as sodium chloride has a very different conversion constant from most hydroponic salts and will therefore give a reading that has a very large error.

In fact TDS meters usually are calibrated to comply with one of three standards namely NaCl (1mS = 500ppm), 442 (1mS = 700ppm)and some have an imperical standard of 1mS = 650ppm).

Clear as mud TCL? .... :lol:......

As you're just trying to measure the salt (NaCl) level.... use the 500ppm reading....

PostPosted: Apr 29th, '08, 23:45 
Or you could buy a Salinity Refractometer from an eBay seller like ... http://stores.ebay.com/National-Industrial-Supply

Have a look under "Salt Water" ....

i.e.

Standard Refractometer

Heavy Duty Refractometer

Cheap as.... might be a couple of other things that might interest you there as well TCL :wink:

PostPosted: Apr 30th, '08, 00:14 

Thanks Rupert!

So, should I dilute system water with something I know reads 0 on the meter so that I can get a reading in the range that the meter will read?

Seeing as the meter only goes to 1800 ppm on the x 500 scale. Which if my math is not totally off should equal about 1.8 ppt right? If I'm working for 3 ppt, then if I mix one part system water with 1 part distilled water, then I should be able to take a reading and multiply by 2.

Does this sound about right?

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Apr 30th, '08, 00:25 
Sounds about right to me TCL....

PostPosted: Apr 30th, '08, 00:25 

If the assumptions in the above post are correct, then I currently have aprox 3.2 ppt salt in my system.

Most of that was applied in the form of dissolving solar/wind dried brine (cheap, no additive, water softener salt.) Some of the reading perhaps comes from mineralized nutrients but I expect that amount to be pretty minor in this situation.

Old 300 gallon System

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next