All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Jan 15th, '14, 10:06 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Hi spindog:

Here is a CHIFT PIST setup using two small aquariums and a no holes overflow: viewtopic.php?p=125119#p125119

Edit: (kind of CHIFT PISTy)

Plant and fish pictures are money

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 15th, '14, 10:21 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Here's a diagram of a simple small setup:

Attachments:
Simple AP v2014b176.png
Simple AP v2014b176.png [ 96.96 KiB | Viewed 8827 times ]

Plant and fish pictures are money
PostPosted: May 6th, '14, 20:59 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Hi all as you all no as soon as you get a system up and running you start thinking of expanding I have a courtyard setup
with a1000 litre tank and 500 litre gb I would like to no how to expand and add say 5 to 6 half barrels only because of the narrow space I have next to my courtyard setup as a newbie I understand it a lot better if I see a diagram can someone help please as you can see I want to go to the right hand side of the picture I have a three high brick edging 1.2 metres wide and 6metres approx long I would like to put a green house ontop of the bricks it would be long and narrow that's why I was thinking half barrels cheers

Attachments:
File comment: want to expand
IMG_0795 Resized.jpg
IMG_0795 Resized.jpg [ 228.87 KiB | Viewed 8800 times ]

Rocketrods Backyard

Rocketrods IBC Blue Barrel Project
PostPosted: Oct 1st, '14, 15:33 

This is the most useful information I have ever got about the plants and other living beings regarding aquaponics through these great and elaborate diagrams and pictures that surely will help a lot. Thanks

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '14, 12:42 

Are you human?: YES
I've learned a lot from all the diagrams you've shared..
Thanks and hope more ideas you've shared with us.

PostPosted: Oct 24th, '14, 19:53 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Rocketrod wrote:
Hi all as you all no as soon as you get a system up and running you start thinking of expanding I have a courtyard setup
with a1000 litre tank and 500 litre gb I would like to no how to expand and add say 5 to 6 half barrels only because of the narrow space I have next to my courtyard setup as a newbie I understand it a lot better if I see a diagram can someone help please as you can see I want to go to the right hand side of the picture I have a three high brick edging 1.2 metres wide and 6metres approx long I would like to put a green house ontop of the bricks it would be long and narrow that's why I was thinking half barrels cheers

Are you doing timed flood and drain? Or using siphons? Or doing constant flow/flood? Will barrels be cut long ways or round the middle? Would you be willing to use a separate pump for the new barrels or add a sump tank or Only add the barrels? What pump are you using now? How many Liters per hour or minute at what height?

It is hard to design or diagram a system for you if one doesn't know more parameters than just 5 or 6 half barrels. (is that 5 or 6 barrel halves or is it 5 or 6 whole barrels cut in half to make 10-12 beds?)
Are they 200 liter barrels or some other size?

There are actually at least several ways it could be done.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Nov 30th, '14, 00:13 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
thank you everyone for sharing information. I'm trying to decide about the sump. I didn't plan it in the rockwork, and my setup is more aquaculture oriented, thoughts? Is the sump for volume balancing?

PostPosted: Nov 30th, '14, 14:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
boss wrote:
thank you everyone for sharing information. I'm trying to decide about the sump. I didn't plan it in the rockwork, and my setup is more aquaculture oriented, thoughts? Is the sump for volume balancing?

Volume balancing and a backup.

I've had a few times where something has gone wrong, and the entire sump has been drained while I was at work. If the pump was in the fish tank, I'd have probably come home to flapping fish, or no longer flapping fish.

However, it depends on your setup. If the tank is big enough (look at PLJ's big concrete tank, or slowboats pool to pond), then I wouldn't worry about the sump, and yours does look pretty big, also depends on your grow beds, yours are above the tank?

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '14, 21:30 
A posting God
A posting God

thanks I look for PLJ's big concrete tank. I am finished with my recovery from a minor surgery and anxious to get back to building my system. Brian

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '14, 02:38 

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Sumps are the lowest point in a system in which you place pumps normally. In flood and drain systems the sumps need to be sized to handle water volume fluctuations while flooding/draining the grow beds. In aquaculture or raft or constant flood systems the sumps are really just a place to put the pump and need to be big enough to handle all the water in the pipes when power goes out and have enough extra to allow for a few days worth of evaporation/transpiration without needing to constantly top up the water.

If your fish tank is where you will be placing your pump, you can often provide yourself a bit of backup simply by placing the pump up off the bottom a bit so that if water is being pumped out of the system due to a failuire, your pump will suck air before it pumps the fish tank totally dry. Most fish as they get bigger will stir up the solids enough that the pump will usually still suck them up as long as the pump is placed appropriately and there are no corners or objects that will collect the solids in the tank.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Dec 10th, '14, 22:42 
A posting God
A posting God

I've sort of painted myself into a corner with my pond being several feet below ground. I can build a fail safe water level control system, maybe, one that shuts off the pump at a certain water level in the pond. Thank you for pointing this out.
Brian

PostPosted: Jan 20th, '15, 22:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I think this will come in handy on a few discussion threads...... :D

Attachment:
Q2htxvN.png
Q2htxvN.png [ 531.22 KiB | Viewed 8063 times ]

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

:headbang:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jan 21st, '15, 05:34 

Spot on haha

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '15, 22:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Quote:
Getting even flow is about having relative even pressure along the length of the distributor pipe. If water is moving fast along the distributor pipe there will be greater friction which translates into pressure loss. Aim to the have distributor pipe relatively massive compared to the outlets.

You can check if the flows are even by having an ungluded 90 degree bend after the ball valves Turn all bends to vertical and adjust valves until the water jets are all equal height. Only works if outlet pipes are relatively small.

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '15, 17:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

TCLynx wrote:
Rocketrod wrote:

Are you doing timed flood and drain? Or using siphons? Or doing constant flow/flood? Will barrels be cut long ways or round the middle? Would you be willing to use a separate pump for the new barrels or add a sump tank or Only add the barrels? What pump are you using now? How many Liters per hour or minute at what height?

It is hard to design or diagram a system for you if one doesn't know more parameters than just 5 or 6 half barrels. (is that 5 or 6 barrel halves or is it 5 or 6 whole barrels cut in half to make 10-12 beds?)
Are they 200 liter barrels or some other size?

There are actually at least several ways it could be done.

Thanks TCLynx for answering back I put this post up months and months ago but no feed back I ended up building my blue barrel ibc system (chift pist) it is working well you can have a look on my thread if you like Image

Rocketrods Backyard

Rocketrods IBC Blue Barrel Project

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next