All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Jan 15th, '14, 10:06 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 27th, '06, 04:57
Posts: 6480
Images: 0
Gender: Male
Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Hi spindog:

Here is a CHIFT PIST setup using two small aquariums and a no holes overflow: viewtopic.php?p=125119#p125119

Edit: (kind of CHIFT PISTy)

_________________
DD's Landing Page

Plant and fish pictures are money


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
    Advertisement
 
PostPosted: Jan 15th, '14, 10:21 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 27th, '06, 04:57
Posts: 6480
Images: 0
Gender: Male
Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Here's a diagram of a simple small setup:


Attachments:
Simple AP v2014b176.png
Simple AP v2014b176.png [ 96.96 KiB | Viewed 8827 times ]

_________________
DD's Landing Page

Plant and fish pictures are money
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 6th, '14, 20:59 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Apr 2nd, '14, 17:29
Posts: 456
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: W.A Bunbury
Hi all as you all no as soon as you get a system up and running you start thinking of expanding I have a courtyard setup
with a1000 litre tank and 500 litre gb I would like to no how to expand and add say 5 to 6 half barrels only because of the narrow space I have next to my courtyard setup as a newbie I understand it a lot better if I see a diagram can someone help please as you can see I want to go to the right hand side of the picture I have a three high brick edging 1.2 metres wide and 6metres approx long I would like to put a green house ontop of the bricks it would be long and narrow that's why I was thinking half barrels cheers


Attachments:
File comment: want to expand
IMG_0795 Resized.jpg
IMG_0795 Resized.jpg [ 228.87 KiB | Viewed 8800 times ]

_________________
Rocketrods Courtyard System

Rocketrods Backyard

Rocketrods IBC Blue Barrel Project
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 1st, '14, 15:33 
Offline

Joined: Sep 24th, '14, 19:13
Posts: 5
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: UAE
This is the most useful information I have ever got about the plants and other living beings regarding aquaponics through these great and elaborate diagrams and pictures that surely will help a lot. Thanks


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 7th, '14, 12:42 
Offline

Joined: Oct 7th, '14, 09:25
Posts: 7
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Victoria, Australia
I've learned a lot from all the diagrams you've shared..
Thanks and hope more ideas you've shared with us.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '14, 19:53 
Offline
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
User avatar

Joined: Dec 6th, '07, 01:13
Posts: 10699
Images: 0
Location: central FL
Gender: Female
Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Location: USA, Florida, Yalaha
Rocketrod wrote:
Hi all as you all no as soon as you get a system up and running you start thinking of expanding I have a courtyard setup
with a1000 litre tank and 500 litre gb I would like to no how to expand and add say 5 to 6 half barrels only because of the narrow space I have next to my courtyard setup as a newbie I understand it a lot better if I see a diagram can someone help please as you can see I want to go to the right hand side of the picture I have a three high brick edging 1.2 metres wide and 6metres approx long I would like to put a green house ontop of the bricks it would be long and narrow that's why I was thinking half barrels cheers


Are you doing timed flood and drain? Or using siphons? Or doing constant flow/flood? Will barrels be cut long ways or round the middle? Would you be willing to use a separate pump for the new barrels or add a sump tank or Only add the barrels? What pump are you using now? How many Liters per hour or minute at what height?

It is hard to design or diagram a system for you if one doesn't know more parameters than just 5 or 6 half barrels. (is that 5 or 6 barrel halves or is it 5 or 6 whole barrels cut in half to make 10-12 beds?)
Are they 200 liter barrels or some other size?

There are actually at least several ways it could be done.

_________________
Aquaponic Lynx
TCLynx Bought The Farm
Old Main System
Old 300 gallon System


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 30th, '14, 00:13 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Jul 6th, '14, 20:25
Posts: 3843
Location: 2.2 kilometers up, NM, USA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Series of particles
Location: Sapello, New Mexico USA
thank you everyone for sharing information. I'm trying to decide about the sump. I didn't plan it in the rockwork, and my setup is more aquaculture oriented, thoughts? Is the sump for volume balancing?

_________________
:wave1: Brian's AP
:dontknow: I don't understand all I know about this :dontknow:
Specs: 2600 gallon (347.56cf) Masonry fish pond. 44cf GBs. 200 gal (26.7cf) ST. 15 gal (2cf) RFF. 50 gal (6.7cf) biofilter. Brook trout and Comets.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 30th, '14, 14:53 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Dec 12th, '13, 18:34
Posts: 3846
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: Adelaide
boss wrote:
thank you everyone for sharing information. I'm trying to decide about the sump. I didn't plan it in the rockwork, and my setup is more aquaculture oriented, thoughts? Is the sump for volume balancing?


Volume balancing and a backup.

I've had a few times where something has gone wrong, and the entire sump has been drained while I was at work. If the pump was in the fish tank, I'd have probably come home to flapping fish, or no longer flapping fish.

However, it depends on your setup. If the tank is big enough (look at PLJ's big concrete tank, or slowboats pool to pond), then I wouldn't worry about the sump, and yours does look pretty big, also depends on your grow beds, yours are above the tank?

_________________
My System

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '14, 21:30 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Jul 6th, '14, 20:25
Posts: 3843
Location: 2.2 kilometers up, NM, USA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Series of particles
Location: Sapello, New Mexico USA
thanks I look for PLJ's big concrete tank. I am finished with my recovery from a minor surgery and anxious to get back to building my system. Brian

_________________
:wave1: Brian's AP
:dontknow: I don't understand all I know about this :dontknow:
Specs: 2600 gallon (347.56cf) Masonry fish pond. 44cf GBs. 200 gal (26.7cf) ST. 15 gal (2cf) RFF. 50 gal (6.7cf) biofilter. Brook trout and Comets.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 8th, '14, 02:38 
Offline
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
User avatar

Joined: Dec 6th, '07, 01:13
Posts: 10699
Images: 0
Location: central FL
Gender: Female
Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Location: USA, Florida, Yalaha
Sumps are the lowest point in a system in which you place pumps normally. In flood and drain systems the sumps need to be sized to handle water volume fluctuations while flooding/draining the grow beds. In aquaculture or raft or constant flood systems the sumps are really just a place to put the pump and need to be big enough to handle all the water in the pipes when power goes out and have enough extra to allow for a few days worth of evaporation/transpiration without needing to constantly top up the water.

If your fish tank is where you will be placing your pump, you can often provide yourself a bit of backup simply by placing the pump up off the bottom a bit so that if water is being pumped out of the system due to a failuire, your pump will suck air before it pumps the fish tank totally dry. Most fish as they get bigger will stir up the solids enough that the pump will usually still suck them up as long as the pump is placed appropriately and there are no corners or objects that will collect the solids in the tank.

_________________
Aquaponic Lynx
TCLynx Bought The Farm
Old Main System
Old 300 gallon System


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 10th, '14, 22:42 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Jul 6th, '14, 20:25
Posts: 3843
Location: 2.2 kilometers up, NM, USA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Series of particles
Location: Sapello, New Mexico USA
I've sort of painted myself into a corner with my pond being several feet below ground. I can build a fail safe water level control system, maybe, one that shuts off the pump at a certain water level in the pond. Thank you for pointing this out.
Brian

_________________
:wave1: Brian's AP
:dontknow: I don't understand all I know about this :dontknow:
Specs: 2600 gallon (347.56cf) Masonry fish pond. 44cf GBs. 200 gal (26.7cf) ST. 15 gal (2cf) RFF. 50 gal (6.7cf) biofilter. Brook trout and Comets.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Jan 20th, '15, 22:25 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mar 12th, '06, 07:56
Posts: 17771
Images: 4
Location: Perth
Gender: Male
Blog: View Blog (1)
I think this will come in handy on a few discussion threads...... :D


Attachment:
Q2htxvN.png
Q2htxvN.png [ 531.22 KiB | Viewed 8063 times ]


:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

:headbang:

_________________
www.havehomewilltravel.com
Life on the road


Top
 Profile Personal album  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Jan 21st, '15, 05:34 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 6th, '11, 12:06
Posts: 12194
Gender: Male
Location: Northern NSW
Spot on haha

_________________
~2010/2011~
~2012/2013~
~2014~
~Backyard farming~


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Jan 21st, '15, 22:07 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Jul 6th, '14, 20:25
Posts: 3843
Location: 2.2 kilometers up, NM, USA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Series of particles
Location: Sapello, New Mexico USA
Quote:
Getting even flow is about having relative even pressure along the length of the distributor pipe. If water is moving fast along the distributor pipe there will be greater friction which translates into pressure loss. Aim to the have distributor pipe relatively massive compared to the outlets.

You can check if the flows are even by having an ungluded 90 degree bend after the ball valves Turn all bends to vertical and adjust valves until the water jets are all equal height. Only works if outlet pipes are relatively small.

_________________
wealth of information thank you

_________________
:wave1: Brian's AP
:dontknow: I don't understand all I know about this :dontknow:
Specs: 2600 gallon (347.56cf) Masonry fish pond. 44cf GBs. 200 gal (26.7cf) ST. 15 gal (2cf) RFF. 50 gal (6.7cf) biofilter. Brook trout and Comets.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '15, 17:06 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Apr 2nd, '14, 17:29
Posts: 456
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: W.A Bunbury
TCLynx wrote:
Rocketrod wrote:
Hi all as you all no as soon as you get a system up and running you start thinking of expanding I have a courtyard setup
with a1000 litre tank and 500 litre gb I would like to no how to expand and add say 5 to 6 half barrels only because of the narrow space I have next to my courtyard setup as a newbie I understand it a lot better if I see a diagram can someone help please as you can see I want to go to the right hand side of the picture I have a three high brick edging 1.2 metres wide and 6metres approx long I would like to put a green house ontop of the bricks it would be long and narrow that's why I was thinking half barrels cheers


Are you doing timed flood and drain? Or using siphons? Or doing constant flow/flood? Will barrels be cut long ways or round the middle? Would you be willing to use a separate pump for the new barrels or add a sump tank or Only add the barrels? What pump are you using now? How many Liters per hour or minute at what height?

It is hard to design or diagram a system for you if one doesn't know more parameters than just 5 or 6 half barrels. (is that 5 or 6 barrel halves or is it 5 or 6 whole barrels cut in half to make 10-12 beds?)
Are they 200 liter barrels or some other size?

There are actually at least several ways it could be done.

Thanks TCLynx for answering back I put this post up months and months ago but no feed back I ended up building my blue barrel ibc system (chift pist) it is working well you can have a look on my thread if you like Image

_________________
Rocketrods Courtyard System

Rocketrods Backyard

Rocketrods IBC Blue Barrel Project


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.132s | 18 Queries | GZIP : Off ]