All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 1st, '10, 15:45 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: 01011001011001010111
Where did you come from! :shock: that is awesome. :headbang:

My system : http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12922

The good thing about science is that you don't have to believe in it for it to be right.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '10, 05:34 

Are you human?: Yes
Simo,

From New York actually :-)

Thanks, it's a really simple system. So far it's working really well. There is more info and updated photos here: http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7535

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '15, 11:43 

Are you human?: yes
I have 4 tub duckaponics which has successfully grown tomatoes, lettuce and melon. I have tried cucumbers several times and the plant goes really well but the fruit don't set despite all efforts ( hand polinating, supplementing, dipel). I have found alot of ants and some Malaysian trumpet snails. I have come to the conclusion it is either:
1) ants farming aphids (no sign of aphids though)
2) these Malaysian trumpet snails

The snails don't seem to affect anything else (I did find some on the lettuce but I had such a bumper crop it was incidental). Has anyone else successfully grown cucumbers with Malaysian trumpet snails?

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '15, 14:55 

Are you human?: YES
Some snails can be carriers for parasites, part of the parasites life cycle is in the snail and part is in the fish. Here's an interesting article - Parasite of the Day - Ramshorn snails get an honorable mention

http://dailyparasite.blogspot.com/2013/02/drepanocephalus-spathans.html

Cheers

PostPosted: Feb 4th, '15, 21:43 

Are you human?: yes
Thanks Scotty. Good read and may be applicable as the older growth on the cucumbers looks quite sad but the new growth looks lush and green. I am wondering about a bacteria or virus.

The fish parasite is not applicable as I am using ducks, not fish.

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '15, 05:42 

Sorry Alana, I was looking back and not noticing the dates on the posts. Pictures would be helpful to see the condition of the plant.

Are the flowers dropping off or are they being eaten. I would expect the snails to eat them and any small cucumbers just starting to form (or at least a part of them). If they are just falling off then it's probably got something to do with the temperatures and the variety you're trying to grow (other things like pollution can sometimes cause this as well but this is more common). I suspect you've checked to verify that the plant is producing both male and female blossums - sometimes they produce male only at the early stages of blooming (these fall off normally). If none of the blossums has a tiny little cucumber then you've got all male https://completegarden.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/cucumber-how-to-identifying-male-and-female-flower/

I noticed on the aquarium forums that they actually bait these snails with cucumber, to be rid of them when they overpopulate the tank. You could try pollinating a few flowers and then covering them with a small paper or cloth bag to keep the snails out and see if this helps. Having the cucumbers on a trellis might help, they do better this way.

I suspect the ants are up to no good so keep an eye on them.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '15, 06:43 

Snails pretty much will keep your fish tank clean and neat. But as someone else mentioned said fish tend to perceive them as snack sometimes... Mother Nature and her ways. :)

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '15, 10:44 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
KudaPucat wrote:
I wonder if you could grow algae and snails effectively in a separate system, like many ppl do duckweed.
Extra nitates may be required (humonia works well) and there are no fish to kill.

Yes, i have various small pond pieces scattered around my yard with nothing but some dirt/sane in the bottom, water and maybe a plant or 2, there are always snails in them, however never a huge harverstable amount.
I take no care of these things, maybe with attention you could get many more.

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '15, 10:47 
A posting God
A posting God

WaldenPonds wrote:
Algae uses up DO? I thought algae were plants and that plants absorb CO2 and emit oxygen... I must be missing something. :?

Free floating algae (pea soup) will certainly use huge amounts of oxygen, so will blue green algae (different thing?).

Stringy algae isnt anywhere near as bad, i have had ponds almost filled to the brim with that stuff and there was plenty of aquatic life left in the pond pieces.

If you were to farm snails, it is the stringy algae that you will want.

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '15, 10:52 
A posting God
A posting God

Damn you guys got me too, would help if we all checked dates. :P

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '15, 11:14 

:support:

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '16, 21:42 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Most of the time
This is an old thread, but it has some good info so--- :dontknow:

I was trying to identify a species of aquatic snail I found in a local river.
Can anybody identify this for me or point me to an id guide ?
Attachment:
File comment: Found in Chapman River, Western Australia
Chapman river snail.JPG
Chapman river snail.JPG [ 81.74 KiB | Viewed 6407 times ]

______________________________________________________________________________________

These are the ones I'm trying to control ! :upset:

Attachment:
Pest snails (4).JPG
Pest snails (4).JPG [ 80.83 KiB | Viewed 6407 times ]

The populations of these snails do increase dramatically in the warmer months & I have noticed a significant increase in the number of small snails on the roots plants harvested from the NFT system.
Attachment:
Pest snails (2).JPG
Pest snails (2).JPG [ 75.82 KiB | Viewed 6407 times ]

Their not a problem in the rest of the system as the fish/yabbies clean them up & it would be nice to do the same in the NTF but the yabbies just don't stay in the tubes.
Attachment:
Pest snails (3).JPG
Pest snails (3).JPG [ 81.5 KiB | Viewed 6407 times ]

Attachment:
Pest snails.JPG
Pest snails.JPG [ 91.25 KiB | Viewed 6407 times ]

Just trying to pre-empt any problems !
I was thinking some kind of pull through scraper to clean inside the tubes, cleaning the snails , their eggs & any build up of crud. A type of bottle brush that can be pulled through the 90mm PVC pipes. The NFT system may need to be turned off & isolated from the rest of the system while cleaning.
I can also see snail build up in the polly pumping lines would significantly reduce the volume of flow being pumped though the system.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322113817020?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This may work for the smaller pipes.
Any ideas ?

While researching for ways to control snail populations in my systems NFT [ 90 mm tubes ] I found this :
http://www.ozwatergardens.com.au/pest-control
Quote:
Snails - Most are pests, although not really a major problem unless their populations really blow out. The Ramshorn snail is an exception, as it is a good algae eater. The American ribbed fluke snail is a commonly found fresh water snail, with a pointed, conical-shaped shell. This snail is a potential carrier of liver fluke and its spread should be minimised to reduce the risk to live stock, such as cattle. It is therefore illegal to bring aquatic plants from the East side of Australia to Western Australia due to quarantine restrictions. Certified aquatic plants can only be sent across if they have been treated, inspected and quarantined.

Pond snail numbers can be reduced by floating lettuce leaves in the water, then collecting them when the snails attach. Blue stone copper sulphate (250g Copper/kg) can be added to the pond water at a rate of 4 grams per 1000 litres of pond water. That is equivalent to a copper level of 2ppm (parts per million). At this concentration the copper is toxic to the snails (and also algae), but not harmful to fish or other pond plants.

Copper 4g / 1000 L ? At this concentration the copper is toxic to the snails (and also algae), but not harmful to fish or other pond plants.
I thought Copper was bad for fish ?
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8682&hilit=copper+sulphate
Is this right, :? Any ideas ?
I wonder how long it would take to kill them ? Maybe if it get out of control & I just isolate the NFT, kill the snails then dump the water with the additive. I guess chlorine would do the same thing.
:wave1:

PostPosted: Sep 17th, '16, 14:01 

I have been keeping very large snails in some of my grow beds to clear out hair algae so to me snails are great! I found out it was illegal to sell them so I don't sell them anymore but I was able to keep my snails and they really clean up hair algae like crazy:)

I did a video for my YouTube channel sometime back if any of you guys want to check it out.

PostPosted: Oct 25th, '17, 16:43 

I have about 8 snails they have been rooting like made and have eggs all the way around the top of the tank about 20cm out of the water few egg sacks look like they have hatched but they are smaller than there feed i think they are getting eatin

PostPosted: Oct 25th, '17, 20:38 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
HomeFarmIdeas wrote:
I have been keeping very large snails in some of my grow beds to clear out hair algae so to me snails are great! I found out it was illegal to sell them so I don't sell them anymore but I was able to keep my snails and they really clean up hair algae like crazy:)

I did a video for my YouTube channel sometime back if any of you guys want to check it out.

Wow! Look at those snails go after the hair algae! Thanks for this post.