All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 18:28 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
MatyH wrote:
RupertofOZ wrote:
This system in Sydney is supplying 20,000+ plants per week...

To one of the biggest Australian supermarket chains... :wink:

Attachment:
UES2 (Custom).jpg

It is currently on track to produce 20 tonne of Barramundi per year...

Plans are to expand to a capacity of 100 tonnes of fish.. and 4 million plants.. per year.. on about a hectare footprint..

Hmm the shipping containers must be out the back right?

You know right! My point exactly, any operation this size will have shipping containers on site regardless!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 18:32 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Damian wrote:
Stuart Chignell wrote:
A five year contract! Without even starting construction, that's a hell of a head start, with a advantage like that it sure tips the scale in your favour. Sounds like the system is gared for lettus production, witch is another thing to help archive sucess, that is to depend on one product for comertial success.

To bad if its true about construction cost being higher than plan, this is some thing that needs to be addressed, proper planing of infusture and relating cost.

Getting your marketing sorted ASAP or even first is a big part of making a venture commercially successful. Yes it is an advantage but it is one they went out and made for themselves.

The UES system is a commercial pilot while proper project management should prevent cost overruns such budget blow outs are not that unusual. I don't know if they had a professional project managemt or not but if they didn't it would be a good idea for their next one.

http://www.FishFarmers.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/fisharmers?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
http://hedgerowfarm.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/HedgerowFarmVictoria/

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 18:37 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

RupertofOZ wrote:
The system is cash flow positive... so it's better than break even in terms of cash flow.. re operating costs

But seriously guys... you surely aren't suggesting a commercial system built from scratch... especially one of any scale...

Would be returning an ROI in 12 months...

And considering they're cash flow positive in less than 12 months... that's a pretty good start.. compared to most of the other "hobby farms" around the traps... being touted as "commercial aquaponics"....

Most of whom are probably only generating any real cash within their first 12 months.. by running expensive "training" workshops...

So true, but what does workshops have to do with a commercial system? If your depending on money from workshops your running a school.

Your saying lettus sales payes for not only lettus production but fish production as well? So the fish is the byprodut in this system?

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 19:21 
Damian wrote:
Hmm the shipping containers must be out the back right?

Quote:
You know right! My point exactly, any operation this size will have shipping containers on site regardless!

:sign5:

No... not a shipping container on site... out the back... or anywhere.... :lol:

Attachment:
UES1 (Custom).jpg
UES1 (Custom).jpg [ 71.75 KiB | Viewed 1650 times ]

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 19:37 

Rupe that is the shot from the front. He said out the back.

http://www.FishFarmers.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/fisharmers?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
http://hedgerowfarm.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/HedgerowFarmVictoria/

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 19:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Always round and round in circles with the semantics.

Rupert you really need to accept that aquaponics can be called commercial if it provides a wage.. It does not have to be "industrial" size.. And stop trying to belittle anything that's not "industrial" by calling it a hobby farm.

If anything perhaps something the size of the picture above should be referred to as "industrial AP", where as any AP business in general, large or small, so long as it acts as a primary source of income for at least one person, is commercial.

Does this not make more sense?

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 19:46 
Stuart Chignell wrote:
Rupe that is the shot from the front. He said out the back.

:lol:

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 19:53 
earthbound wrote:
Rupert you really need to accept that aquaponics can be called commercial if it provides a wage.. It does not have to be "industrial" size.. And stop trying to belittle anything that's not "industrial" by calling it a hobby farm.

Agreed Joel... I haven't argued other wise...

My premise has been that most are "hobby farms"... because they haven't been paying themselves a "wage"... and/or are profitable after doing so...

Yep, we could get into a discussion of a "wage"... but drawing a $100.. or more from cash flow... isn't really providing a "wage".... it's robbing the till... :D

And if you can't pay your self... or other labour... at least the equivalent of a "weekly wage"...

Well doesn't that make the operation a "hobby farm"...

I'm not against small operations.. or hobby farms... I've just argued that nearly all of them aren't profitable... and/or are limited to a scale that inhibits their profitability.. and possible expansion...

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 20:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So you know what every single person is doing, what their sales and books are? No, you can't possibly... Honestly your starting to sound like old GD...

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 20:05 
No I don't know.... but from past experience and some basic maths...based on what is posted as to size/production...

It's not hard to work out what the likely turnover is... based on plant crop cycles... number of plant holes... and what is often posted as their price return at the farmers market...

Yep, it's not known, and certainly not published... as to what their operating costs are...

But xxxx lettuce per week... at $yyyy.. gives a turnover of $zzzz per week....

Even if costs are assumed... it's pretty obvious that most operations aren't probably paying themselves a "weekly wage"...

And aren't capable of expanding to a scale that would require a "wholesale" pricing model... and payment for labour...

As I've said... there's only so much that a single, or two person operation can physically do... especially if they're direct marketing... and/or attempting to sell at farmers markets...

Try selling 300 lettuce at a weekly farmers market day... just to earn your weekly wage... :lol:

Last edited by RupertofOZ on Oct 28th, '13, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 20:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lets just leave it at " No I don't know."

You only know what you see and read on the internet, that's not everything. :dontknow:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 20:10 
Yep.. until people.. or someone is prepared to honestly publish their operating figures...

I guess we'll never know... :D

But besides what I see and read on the internet... (or from other sources).... I can do some basic maths... :wink:

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 20:14 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No one has to prove anything to you or anyone else... Often those that are successful in things can also be quiet about it.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 20:15 
Hey anyone that wants to have a crack at commercial aquaponics... how ever they define it... go for broke...

I don't think I've ever stopped anyone from doing so...

And if I have.. based on anything I've said... well that might have been a good thing... :D

And most definitely agreed... the people who may be being successful.. are probably being quite about it... or just to busy to say... or bother with forums...

My posts/responses... are directed to what is highlighted on the forum...

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 00:11 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Damian wrote:
Your saying lettus sales payes for not only lettus production but fish production as well? So the fish is the byprodut in this system?

Exactly... to give you another example... our system is oriented more towards fish to supply the growing demand in the market for fresh fish. Our focus is on fish... I look at plants only as a bonus and will be used at home or would distribute them to friends and relatives or sell a few when there is surplus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next