All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Aeration and bio filter
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '16, 04:34 

Are you human?: yes
People,

i cant figure how to messure how much or how powerful aeration pump i need for my projcect system.

6*950Gallons tank (21.576L)+ 500sqm plant area....

I how much bio filter is need for such a system? And wich Sand, Cartridge, Bag
http://pentairaes.com/filtration/show/all

Can i get some assistance? PLz

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '16, 05:05 

http://pentairaes.com/matala-filtration-media.html

Is this media any good for filtration?
In comprehension to those that i have putt in my other post (bag, cartridge, sand filter)?

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '16, 06:59 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
Valodja wrote:

i cant figure how to messure how much or how powerful aeration pump i need for my projcect system.

Neither can we, without any knowledge of how many and what type of fish you plan to put in!

Do you have 6 fish tanks operating in parallel?

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '16, 00:21 

Here are some pics.....the tanks are 950 Gallons.

Grow beds are 20lenght, 1 or 2 m wide and 4 m high (on 3 floors).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '16, 05:40 

Are you human?: YES
It's saying the content isn't available right now and asking for a login and password :dontknow:

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '16, 09:15 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
you must be a member of Facebook to view a Facebook page these days... (so its your own FB sign-in details)
but then he hasn't made the page public or viewable either.....

Valodja - if want response then best to post on forum....
how to post pics on forum viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21754

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '16, 04:26 

Ok. Here are pics. The facility would be 20m wide and 35 in lenght + 5m in height.
Fish tank are 950gallons-

Attachments:
Example 3.jpg
Example 3.jpg [ 54.9 KiB | Viewed 6903 times ]
Example 2.jpg
Example 2.jpg [ 64.82 KiB | Viewed 6903 times ]
Example 1.jpg
Example 1.jpg [ 76.7 KiB | Viewed 6903 times ]
PostPosted: Dec 8th, '16, 12:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Wow, not a small system! That will be an amazing farming operation. I use media beds for bio-filter and I go by the 1:1 rule - 900 gallon tank = 900 gallons of growbeds. However, if you are using rafts or NFT without media then that doesn't work.

For my 900 gallon tank with channel catfish (160 fish) I have a 60 gallon cone-bottom RFF for solids. I imagine I would need twice that in bio-balls or similar biofilter, but just a guess. I found the book SMALL SCALE AQUACULTURE by Steven D Van Gorder very helpful. You might find some helpful information there. Also the [url]United Nations Food and Agriculture publication on Aquaponics[/url] is very helpful and available in multiple languages. Yo can download it for free, and they likely have other publications for recirculating aquaculture but I'm not sure.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '16, 19:09 

John, any guess how to calculate how strong water pump would be needed for that? Specs are above.

How much weight does your catfish have?

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '16, 23:05 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Valodja,

this is a full scale commercial operation so I recommend thorough engineering design to minimize costly mistakes. Pump sizing will depend on plumbing and flow rates desired. Will you pump through your solids and bio-filters? If so, they will need to be pressure vessels not just barrels and they will add considerable flow restriction / back pressure. If you gravity overflow from the fish tanks through your filtration this is simpler, but then you probably need sump tanks that I do not see in the sketches. Will these be media beds, DWC tanks with rafts? Flood and drain or constant flood?

There are too many variables to give credible answers on a forum. You will need to turn over the fish tanks at least once an hour, so that's 950 gph per tank. You are lifting water 3 meters? so the pump(s) will need minimum 1000 gph at 3 meters but I would plan for twice that based on your likely high stocking density and bio filtration layout. Pipe distribution, size and restrictions will also make a difference - how many turns, will you feed only the top rows then let water trickle down to lower beds? How will the water return to the FTs and what size / restrictions will you have? etc.

You may consider some wicking beds to have a place to discharge the high volume of solid waste produced.

My catfish vary in size, but I plan for 1lb of fish per 5 gal water. I have a dozen that are 3 - 5lb that I hope will spawn next spring. Mostly I have 4-6" fingerlings right now - about 200 in my 800 gallon tank. So as they get bigger I will need to get rid of some. Either sell or eat.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '16, 18:11 

Any recomandation on wter pump with 1000+ gph and aeration pump for grow beds of 500sqm or around 130000l wayer in them

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '16, 22:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I like Jebao pumps, they work very well for me. I don't know how to determine the aeration requirements.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Dec 13th, '16, 05:04 

Another good brand is the Laguna MaxFlo pond pumps.

I'm not clear on what type of beds you'll be using or the planned flow so I'll just comment on what filtration might be good.

The combination of a Radial Flow Filter (for Settleable Solids) and a Static Upflow Filter (for Suspended Solids/fines) is good for DWC/NFT beds. It helps to then have a mineralization tank to process the solids from the filters for additional nutrients so they can be added back into the system and used by the plants. Both of these filters are easy to clean. Depending on the size of the DWC and how much waste is coming through, the bacteria there may be able to process the ammonia and nitrites without additional biofiltration. You may have to add additional biofiltration and degassing if you are trying to lower your nitrate levels. These would go after the solids filtration but before the DWC/NFT.

For media beds, with high fish loads in your tanks, you'd probably use a Radial Flow Filter and the rest of the filtration and mineralization would be from the media in the beds. You're basically trying to prevent the media beds from clogging with solids in this scenario. If they clog, the biofiltration they provide will be reduced. You could either mineralize the solids from the Radial Flow Filter or remove them from the system - the fine solids and dissolved solids that pass through the RFF usually have enough nutrients that the plants will grow well even with settleable solids removed (but it does depend on your setup).

Cleaning of the Static Upflow Filter is usually done with air to agitate the media. The solids and water are then drawn off for disposal or further processing.

Radial Flow Filters are ideally in cone bottom tanks and the solids can be drawn off the bottom for processing or disposal.

PostPosted: Dec 13th, '16, 19:22 

Hi scotty.
The tanks will be with cone bottom so i get the pic.
Nft will be used so i get the pic here also.
I will look into Advices from all of You guys.
Now ill check that pums.

Cheers

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '16, 02:25 

If you need additional biofiltration an MBBR/MBBF (Moving Bed Bioreactor aka Moving Bed BioFilter) might be the way to go since it will help with degassing as well as biofiltration. You'll get both nitrification and denitrification probably in amounts that depend on your cleaning schedule and how much you clean the media each cycle. More cleaning should give you less denitrification. Too much cleaning will affect the nitrification as well though so you'd have to play around with this and the type of media used to get it right for your situation.