All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Hybrid system question?
PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '15, 23:12 

Are you human?: yes...flaws and all
Ok, if I am asking something covered well other places, please redirect me. I have spent some time reading on here and appreciate the tremendous knowledge

I am a newbie and am currently making my first system and it is dawning on me that much value comes from doing and observing the system.

Here is the question: Why do I not see or hear more talk about systems in which a media growbed is used to yet grow but mainly filter for DWC?

To put context for my question here is my thought process. I so far have IBC fish tank of about 180-200 gallons water level with a SLO feeding into a sort of swirl filter....dunno if it will settle out solids well but does redirect water well so it may....

that feeds the media growbed (biofilter) a IBC cutoff about 8 inches of expanded shale with a bell siphon ( awesome to watch it work :)

that will feed into DWC raft bed(s), purchased duraskrim to line them.

sump with a cheapo harbor freight pump runs all the time.....

I have not put the DWC into play yet, no fish....just observing flow and such.....I realize there are many details as about ratios of fish to tank etc....but why do I not see this type of set up spoken about much....is it a poor idea? I am hoping to spend some time refining it and scale it up a bit.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '15, 13:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Hey Tfish, I'm not sure that I get what you're asking exactly. There are a few members on here with hybrid systems, the idea and practice has been around for many years...

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jan 26th, '15, 16:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Hey T fish.
Lots of hybrid systems out there. What your talking about is possible and has been done many times before.
The media bed will serve as a bio filter for the dwc but what you may notice is that many of the solids may move through your media bed and into your dwc channel. When you have solids in your dwc, they can bind to the plant roots and inhibit nutrient and O2 uptake.
You might want to add additional filtration. It sounds like you have a swirl filter set up, and if you did it right it could help remove some of those large solids, but from what I've read RFF seems to work better.

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '15, 04:30 

Are you human?: yes...flaws and all
Well I know a person can spend about as much money as they want on a system...and I am kind of enjoying the challenge of not spending a whole lot until I get comfortable with some experience under my belt. Fish N Chips I think you see what i am getting at....I will spend a bit more time on youtube looking at set ups of RFF and swirl filters......not sure it my setup is large enough to allow for much settling once water is redirected....

see I was looking at a catalog for land gardeners from out of california and they are getting into selling aquaponic items....they show a diagram in which the water goes from the fish tank to DWC then to the grow bed., and I though whoa! That is not my understanding of things....I felt that many folks view the growbed as a sort of biofilter in its own right due to the bacteria living in the medium....I get that you can overwhelm a grow bed with too much fish stuff and thus looking at the swirl filter.

Everything seems so slow I go out into the yard and make changes and test water flow to ensure the bell siphon works etc.....kind of getting impatient to purchase fish soon!

PostPosted: Mar 29th, '15, 02:05 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
thats what i got media bed to floating raft

works fine solids are minimal and sink

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23478

PostPosted: Mar 29th, '15, 03:26 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Give this article a read. I think you will like it.
http://www.earthanedge.com/hybrid-aquap ... -or-wrong/