All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Dec 7th, '15, 07:54 

Are you human?: After coffee, mostly
Hi everybody. :wave1:

I'm in Escondido, north San Diego. I'm almost done with a Solar powered system that I'm playing around with.

I uploaded some videos to my youtube account of some testing:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2M57V9h6alzZErVC6htD6N7SbnBmJeoN[/youtube]

Looking forward to meeting you all, learning and helping out where I can.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '17, 07:46 

Are you human?: yes
Hi guys,

My names Gerhard and I'm a fourth term Product Designer at Art Center College of Design and I'm currently working on a project that i need YOUR help with. Im happy to be learning all I can about improving the world we live in today, and I look forward to hearing from you guys here on the forum!

Project Brief: "Imagine the world in 2050. How do we live, work, play and survive? Do changes in our environment, social structure or attitudes open up new opportunities for designers to help shape the world?"

Each student takes a different route through this project and choses 3 important topics they want to focus on. My topics are : Education, Environment, and Work.

Now here is where i need YOUR help! :wave:

For the environment topic, I chose to focus on farmers and our future in farming as a society. Now, as most of you may know were headed to an increase in population size globally and with technological advancements and globalization, most of the world will be living in urbanized areas. All this means is that with more land used to build cities, there will be less land for agriculture and farming. So how do we introduce sustainable farming in urbanized cities of the future?

As of now I'm working on interviews for my project to get a better idea of the process involved in aquaponics and also compost farming, and what limitations there are. I would love to be able to come by and take a look at your backyard systems in person and ask a few questions and get some pictures in order to have a deeper understanding on the process.

I have a two week timeframe for this part of the project and would really appreciate your help! all input and info is definitely confidential and will only be used in our classroom in order to further advance my vision for this project. Help me help better the world for generations to come :thumbright:

Im located in Pasadena Ca but i am willing to travel locally, thank you!!

by the way here is my blog for this class hope you enjoy!

https://godesign.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 02:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
I'm in Santee, CA and I host garden visitors often. My backyard system was on local KPBS gardening show (A Growing Passion, episode 504 available online). If you would like to visit I am happy to help. My calendar is pretty full but I'm sure we can figure out something. PM me for contact info if you are interested.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 02:23 

Are you human?: YES
I'm in Temecula, CA. A friend gave me his 300 gallon aquaponics system with koi two months ago. I changed it up and now have about 50 trout fingerlings. Trout are doing well and look healthy. 1/2 hp chiller helps especially with this 100+ F degree weather have been having lately.

Thanks,
Troy

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 21:02 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes.
I run a small back yard system. Find my posts and take a look at pics.

ap beginner.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28259

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '17, 07:41 

Are you human?: Yes
I'm in Bakersfield, CA. Just got my system moved and rebuilt. Just joined the forum today and have a post in the introductions section if you want to see what I'm working with.

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '17, 10:22 

Hello all!

I'm located in Orange County and new to aquaponics.

Here's my initial plan:
- Single outdoor media bed, 8' long, 2' wide, and 14" high
- Sump tank of similar size underneath
- 55 gallon barrel as a fish tank
- Bell siphon
- Sump pump
- Air pump + air stone
- Pea gravel topped with hydroton for ease on the the hands while keeping costs low
- Goldfish with the goal of raising tilapia

Hopefully this is a good size system to start off with over the next couple of months. I have the urge to build a larger ~1,000 gallon plywood fish tank but figure it's best to start smaller and see if I'll even enjoy it. If I do end up expanding, this unit would go along my 5' wide side yard.

I have a basic understanding of aquaponics from reading Sylvia Bernstein's Aquaponic Gardening and perusing online sites, but would value any feedback or advice.

Thanks,
Duhrel

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '17, 15:08 

Welcome to the forum Duhrel :wave:

PostPosted: Nov 13th, '17, 00:03 

Are you human?: I hope so!
I'm Tracey
I'm in Escondido. I have an 1800 gallon (approx) Koi pond - or so that is what the previous owner stated. It's kind of Oval maybe 20' x 9' x 5' deep. I'm not sure exactly how many Koi are in their - somewhere between 15-20, sized from 12 - 30 inches long. These are big suckers.

I cannot grow in my very shaded backyard, however I do have a large covered patio (approx 400 sqft) with a very sturdily built roof that has some skylights that open for ventilation and a 3' x3'square bubble just for light penetration (all sistered). Roof covered in roofing paper (like used on flat roofs). Previous owner was contractor who redid all roof lines when adding on and may have had a deck in mind.

It is almost flat - just enough so water runs off. There is also a chimney/masonry that runs thru it for the outdoor fireplace. Patio roof supported with huge horizontal beam, and also toenailed to the main house, and supported by fireplace masonry, and 4 - 4x4 wood beams sitting on elevated masonry.

The main pond has a waterfall. It has a pond filtration system with a high powered pump between the intake and the filter. I struggle to keep the ammonia - nitrate-nitrite cycle balanced. Though I could kill 2 birds with one stone and set up an aquaponic garden system that would use water pumped out of the pond and then circulated back.

I'm just getting started. Excited - bursting with ideas and a tiny bit overwhelmed. I have concerns about temperature issues (too hot or too cold) as an elevated roof. I also want to minimize potential damage to the roof paper, so looking for a way to either put a waterproof or felt membrane down in high traffic area/ under beds.

I'm from the East Coast the seasons were short but abundant with minimal watering. Not sure what plants can tolerate each of the seasons in this microclimate on the Now to something new.

My_contact_info_follows_in_all_caps-TRA ... ICLOUD.COM_end_info

PostPosted: Nov 17th, '17, 01:50 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Welcome Tracey, we're "neighbors," I'm in Santee.

Be careful of the weight placed on the roof. 100 gallons is 834 lbs, plus any people access. Be safe. Maybe pipe water to another area of your yard?

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '17, 01:07 

Added fish and plants to my system a week and a half ago. It is in my backyard. Tank is made of wood on a pallet with a pond liner. Grow area is 4 inch PVC with solo red cups as baskets. Fish are bluegill. Vegetables are lettuce, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, and beats.

Debating whether I need any protection from frost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8