All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Apr 16th, '12, 21:33 
Offline
In need of a life
In need of a life
User avatar

Joined: Dec 9th, '08, 03:23
Posts: 1514
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: USA, Wilmington, NC
It seems that americans are finally starting to see the light.... not all but a good amount...

If your in North Carolina and have a system, starting a system, or thinking about making an aquaponics system, shout out and let North Carolinians know about it..

Add pics so we can see the diversity that is AP

jT

_________________
Decals by JT - New Website
http://decals-by-jt.wix.com/jt-sign-services

My GH AP System
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259&start=0


Top
 Profile  
 
    Advertisement
 
PostPosted: Apr 21st, '12, 00:09 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Joined: Jan 18th, '11, 08:29
Posts: 320
Images: 0
Location: Western NC
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Unknown Cyborg
Location: North Carolina
I started a system this year: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12436

_________________
LowCarbTNPer's System v2
Arduino UNO Data Sender / Logger
Old System

Salt Calculator / Fish Temperature Ranges / Pump Reports


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Apr 21st, '12, 00:32 
Offline
In need of a life
In need of a life
User avatar

Joined: Dec 9th, '08, 03:23
Posts: 1514
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: USA, Wilmington, NC
welcome to the forum....

system looks good.... looking forward to further updates

JT

_________________
Decals by JT - New Website
http://decals-by-jt.wix.com/jt-sign-services

My GH AP System
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259&start=0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jul 29th, '12, 04:31 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Jul 29th, '12, 03:42
Posts: 46
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Sandhills of North Carolina, USA
We're in the planning stage here in the Sandhills. We almost had our IBC last week but the money went but our old Suburban needed brake parts so we don't have it yet. Still sourcing gravel and fingerlings.

My DH, Dread, is in charge of the technical/mechanical details and is going with the simple version from The IBC's of Aquaponics for our first experiment. I'm in charge of plants and fish and am collecting information about what fish are likely to work for us given the nature of NC summers with the blistering heat and the inconsistent winters that may stay warm and green or may drop into the teens for several weeks.

We're looking at tilapia, trout, catfish, and also, since I don't really like fish much at all (Dread and the rest of the family like fish very much), prawns and crayfish but are very much up in the air about it since we don't know how long it takes to reach harvest-able weight and which months of the year are appropriate for what species.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Aug 1st, '12, 09:52 
Offline

Joined: Aug 1st, '12, 09:31
Posts: 2
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: US North Carolina
Hello everyone, I started experimenting with aquaponics late last year. I am currently running three 55 gallon drums and one 250 gallon IBC tote. I have approximately 30sq/ft of grow bed but, I will be adding more later. I am using a Blue/White Nile Tilapia hybrids in all the systems right now, probably around 300 fish combined. I would have more but I split the females from the breeder male because they are prolific breeders. With one male and two females I had more fry than I had capacity for so, some had to be culled. Anyways, I will post some pictures when I am happy with my setup.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Aug 1st, '12, 22:16 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Feb 7th, '12, 02:34
Posts: 460
Location: Smithfield, North Carolina
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: North Carolina
Hello North Carolinians

Started building my system Feb 2012, and my intensions is toward raising fish first and if I get some greens, that would be the icing on the cake.

I have been raising Tilapia from fingerlings for the last 14 weeks. I believe for Thanks Giving we will be able to harvest few to enjoy and will Thanks All Mighty for all of his blessings.

_________________
There is a price for everything in life!

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery .
Winston Churchill




My system thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Aug 1st, '12, 22:40 
Offline
In need of a life
In need of a life
User avatar

Joined: Dec 9th, '08, 03:23
Posts: 1514
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: USA, Wilmington, NC
DamselandDread wrote:
We're in the planning stage here in the Sandhills. We almost had our IBC last week but the money went but our old Suburban needed brake parts so we don't have it yet. Still sourcing gravel and fingerlings.

My DH, Dread, is in charge of the technical/mechanical details and is going with the simple version from The IBC's of Aquaponics for our first experiment. I'm in charge of plants and fish and am collecting information about what fish are likely to work for us given the nature of NC summers with the blistering heat and the inconsistent winters that may stay warm and green or may drop into the teens for several weeks.

We're looking at tilapia, trout, catfish, and also, since I don't really like fish much at all (Dread and the rest of the family like fish very much), prawns and crayfish but are very much up in the air about it since we don't know how long it takes to reach harvest-able weight and which months of the year are appropriate for what species.


I find that it's always something to slow us up... keep plugging away and it will happen....

I think in this area, local fish are best, bluegill, catfish, gold fish, koi... (which I use) Perch is also a possibility but havent tried them.

bluegill can take up to a year to reach harvestable size, catfish a little longer.... but its been so long since last harvest, my catfish are 24" long and I am a little overstocked because of their size.

jT

_________________
Decals by JT - New Website
http://decals-by-jt.wix.com/jt-sign-services

My GH AP System
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259&start=0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Aug 1st, '12, 22:43 
Offline
In need of a life
In need of a life
User avatar

Joined: Dec 9th, '08, 03:23
Posts: 1514
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: USA, Wilmington, NC
Backyard_Farmer wrote:
Hello everyone, I started experimenting with aquaponics late last year. I am currently running three 55 gallon drums and one 250 gallon IBC tote. I have approximately 30sq/ft of grow bed but, I will be adding more later. I am using a Blue/White Nile Tilapia hybrids in all the systems right now, probably around 300 fish combined. I would have more but I split the females from the breeder male because they are prolific breeders. With one male and two females I had more fry than I had capacity for so, some had to be culled. Anyways, I will post some pictures when I am happy with my setup.



are you using any type of swirl filter, as 300 fish for only 30 sq. ft of GB is WAY to small for that many fish, even if they are fingerlings.. they grow fast and the waste output grows fast..

JT

_________________
Decals by JT - New Website
http://decals-by-jt.wix.com/jt-sign-services

My GH AP System
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259&start=0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '12, 08:25 
Offline

Joined: Aug 1st, '12, 09:31
Posts: 2
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: US North Carolina
DecalsbyJT wrote:
Backyard_Farmer wrote:
Hello everyone, I started experimenting with aquaponics late last year. I am currently running three 55 gallon drums and one 250 gallon IBC tote. I have approximately 30sq/ft of grow bed but, I will be adding more later. I am using a Blue/White Nile Tilapia hybrids in all the systems right now, probably around 300 fish combined. I would have more but I split the females from the breeder male because they are prolific breeders. With one male and two females I had more fry than I had capacity for so, some had to be culled. Anyways, I will post some pictures when I am happy with my setup.



are you using any type of swirl filter, as 300 fish for only 30 sq. ft of GB is WAY to small for that many fish, even if they are fingerlings.. they grow fast and the waste output grows fast..

JT


I don't have a swirl or spin down filter, yet. I am looking at making a 35 gallon barrel into a large spin down with mechanical filtration for the IBC system. I am running canister filters with biological and mechanical filtration on the 55 gallon barrels. I haven't had a problem with my water quality yet but, I am looking to run only GB's with mechanical filtration in the near future. I was using a fluidized bed for biological filtration but, I am trying to simplify my setup. Running a canister for mechanical filtration and a fluidized bed with the associated plumbing seemed like a recipe for failure.

The IBC system is running a canister for mechanical and biological filtration with a floating GB. I was using a bell siphon with Hydrotron but, I wanted to expand the system without buying more Hydrotron. So, net pots allowed me to use less Hydrotron for 'almost' the same grow area. I know I should expand the beds but, building and sourcing a suitable container can be trying.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sep 14th, '12, 00:23 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Jul 29th, '12, 03:42
Posts: 46
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Sandhills of North Carolina, USA
If you're in the Sandhills area you will want to check out Southern Silica http://www.sandandgravel.net/ for your gravel.

I got chemically-inert quartzite, 1/2" x 1/4" for $6.50 per 1 cubic foot bag -- pre-washed and free of fines even.

You can buy it bulk instead of bagged in large quantities but you have to bring an actual dump truck not a pick-up.

The service was great too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sep 20th, '12, 02:53 
Offline

Joined: Sep 20th, '12, 02:50
Posts: 1
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Hai
Location: Western North Carolina
Hello, I started up my first AP system a few months ago!!! Loving it and working on improving it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sep 20th, '12, 06:50 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '07, 14:20
Posts: 6432
Location: Perth
Gender: Female
Location: Jandakot
Welcome to the forum Lockey, do you have any photos to share? We really love photos here. :grin:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

_________________
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... a&start=45 (Fayes system)
http://backyardfarming.com.au/phpbb3/vi ... f=24&t=119 (Fayes garden) https://www.facebook.com/Botanic.Obsession


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sep 21st, '12, 05:51 
Offline
In need of a life
In need of a life
User avatar

Joined: Dec 9th, '08, 03:23
Posts: 1514
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: USA, Wilmington, NC
welcome to the forum and welcome to the North Carolina Aquaponisists...

looking forward to seeing your system.... add all the pics you like

good luck on your system..

JT

_________________
Decals by JT - New Website
http://decals-by-jt.wix.com/jt-sign-services

My GH AP System
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259&start=0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '12, 12:33 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Dec 19th, '12, 05:10
Posts: 32
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Typically
Location: Durham, NC
Starting one. All I have now is a hole in the ground. Well, make that two holes.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14688


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Jan 19th, '13, 16:32 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Jan 17th, '13, 18:58
Posts: 4
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Gender: Female
Are you human?: Yes
Location: Fayetteville, NC, USA
Checking in. I'm in Fayetteville. Been interested in Aquaponics and Hydroponics for about 20 years but never had the opportunity to start a unit. I started my first unit last year, a small affair. IBC grow bed hooked into my water garden with goldfish. It went so well that my better half advised me that after seeing the amount of work i put into the dirt garden versus the Aquaponics unit I need to replace the dirt with the water. That is this years project for me. I am looking to put in a system that will grow Talapia. I don't have a greenhouse but I'm trying to design the fish tank so that it is insulated well and has a top to hold in the heat. We will see. Additionally, i'm laying it out so that I can build a greenhouse around it when i have more funds. Been looking at a lot of the postings and reading through some of the members systems to get ideas. Fully entrenched in the planning process for my second unit at this time.

_________________
Jenny


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan` and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.713s | 17 Queries | GZIP : Off ]