All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 2nd, '13, 05:20 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
nice pollytunnel, are those totes your using there?

just curious how everyones greenhouse aquaponics systems are holding up to the cold, and if you use any heaters or not.. and average temp during the winter months you run at.. thanks in advance.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '14, 02:06 

Eastover (NE Fayetteville), NC chiming in. :wave:

Indoor system for the 1st test.

In the building phase now... parts just came in. Chop2 system with a 2-pump setup. (until I grow the cahones to drill the hole in the new [to me] 75 gal bow front tank). 3 conrete tub beds with a 55 gal sump. And because my lady wanted it, a gutter garden above :thumbright: .

MSA

Attachments:
File comment: Sketchup Model of my Kitchen Aquaponic Setup
MSA-KitchenAquaponics.PNG
MSA-KitchenAquaponics.PNG [ 305.49 KiB | Viewed 4492 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '14, 06:05 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Welcome M.S.A.! Fancy Indoor setup. The cheapo concrete tubs work great when dropped in a 2x8 frame with 1x6s supporting the bottom. 6'x2' outer framing dimensions with a center partition is perfect. The sides sag hardcore other wise, even with hydroton. Can post a pic if you'd like.

J.B.

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '14, 12:32 

J.B. Thanks for the wecome. I'm curious what you'll do mext with yours. What you don't see is a leg in the middle of the back. To test it, my fiancée and I got up and danced around. Didn't budge vertically. As it's in the eating space of the kitchen, we tried to keep the aesthetics fit for indoor. '

Below is the system nearly ready for the first full system water test. (Forgot a tee.) We changed the output side of gutters after i picked up the pvc. The idea is to have a GB drain every 20 mins.

Any opinions on putting it all on casters? I'm worried about having to move a full sump.

Attachments:
File comment: System setup for water test run
IMG_20140403_003000.jpg
IMG_20140403_003000.jpg [ 50.04 KiB | Viewed 4474 times ]

PostPosted: May 15th, '14, 02:42 

I want to start one and would love to see someones setup and get advice/know how to get started. I've read a few things but seeing would make more sense. I'm in Graham NC - I believe there is a member called "cedar grove" that would be 20 minutes from me. Anyone with an 1/2 hr or so from me ?

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 00:03 

I'm in Fayetteville, NC and looking to start my Aquaponic system. Any suggests from those living in the area would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '14, 10:35 
In need of a life
In need of a life

im about 2 hours away.... wilmington, nc

post some pics of your system and ask away

jT

My GH AP System
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259&start=0

PostPosted: Jun 25th, '14, 20:11 

I'm in the mountains of NC. I've been really curious about aquaponics for years now and can't wait to get my hands wet. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to build a greenhouse that will keep warm enough through our winters and cool enough in the summer. This last winter was really cold for us...two days at or below 0.

PostPosted: Oct 22nd, '14, 04:22 

I just joined, and am happy to see the North Carolinians here! I'm on the Durham/Orange county line near Hillsborough.

A few people have asked about Tilapia sourcing here in NC, and I have found a nice supplier of all sorts of aquaculture stuff in Statesville. They even do training classes on aquaponics and hydroponics. Their site is: growdinner dot com.

I'm in the process of planning out a system, and started a thread for my proposed system this morning!

PostPosted: Oct 26th, '14, 03:02 

Are you human?: Yes
I'm in Iron Station,NC not building yet...very much in the research phase...I have a school teacher budget with unlimited space...ahh the dilemma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '14, 10:53 

Late to the party, but just got bit by the bug. I am in the infancy/planning stages of a unit in central NC. I wanted to run part trout and part blue cat, but I'm not sure I can keep it cool enough for trout in the summer and warm enough for the cats in the winter. I am thankful to find a resource like this for info.

Bought a house last summer and have been planning next year's garden. I can't have livestock due to the HOA, so when I discovered AP as a way to both protein and veggie costs, well, you can imagine my excitement.

I'm designing a system that will utilize two IBCs, to maximize output I'm looking at two media beds for veggies (and maybe muscles) over two 8in pvc return tubes in which I'll grow crayfish or prawns. The return tubes then lead back to the fish tanks with different fish for variety of diet. On top of the fish tanks I plan to use rafts for various salad greens.

What do you guys think? Doable? Or too complex?

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '14, 06:33 

Hi, I'm in Johnston County in Clayton, NC. I was talking with my sister, who owns a farm in Efland, and she was telling me I need a permission to put a greenhouse on my property if it's being used for a commercial purpose. She said this is especially true if this is a permanent structure vs. a 'movable' one, comparing a greenhouse to a hoop house (I still don't see the difference). She said I need to ask permission of my neighbors, and now I'm wondering if I need a permit as well. We are on a property that has no covenants or restrictions, but we are surrounded by neighbors. I cannot find anything related specifically to that online. We're looking to put up a structure that's about 100' long, in our front yard that has tons of wasted space, so you'd definitely wouldn't miss seeing this thing. At first we may just be doing this for personal use, but our goal is to grow food to sell locally, at a farmer's market, and/or maybe directly from our property. Does anyone know if we do need to get permission from the county/state or our neighbors? I would hate to think our neighbors have that kind of control over what we decide to do with our land.

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '14, 21:16 

What you do with your land effects the property values of their land as well, that's why you should talk to them. If you don't have an HOA then they don't have direct control, but if you spent the money to build a 100' house it would be a shame if they filed an unsightly nuisance report and the county made you take it down.

To be on the safe side, since that is a large structure, you should contact the county building inspector to check on permit necessities for the house itself. Then contact the County Center's Agriculture Co-op to see if you need permits for production. If you're doing aquaponic gardening you will almost certainly need an aquaculture permit. And if you are doing anything commercial you will have permits and yearly inspections for that as well.

Good luck! :-)

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '15, 00:47 

Hello from Charlotte NC

My name is Chuck i live out side of Charlotte city limits. I have been working on getting everything to setup up my new system and i am have an issue finding uniseals local. Does anyone have an idea where i can find them near by? I hope to have the system up and cycling witin the next week. I will post some Pics shortly.

Thanks for all the help!
Chuck

PostPosted: Jul 20th, '17, 11:48 

Are you human?: Super Human
Mebane here!

I had a single barrel 55 gallon setup for about 7 years. I have recently moved, and shut it down.

Now, I am in possession of 6 more barrels and 3, 275gal IBC Totes.

It is time to EXPAND. I'm also looking to incorporate a powered shed into the mix. Thinking about building a greenhouse off the back to shield my fish tanks from the cold.

So hello everyone!

Pictures to come.