All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: anybody in Texas
PostPosted: Aug 4th, '13, 08:25 

Are you human?: Yes
'blank' area is where the tobacco was, at one time, growing quite nicely.

The barrels are my fresh water. Two of them always aerating with an air line. Aeration takes place for at least 3-4 days before i use it.

Attachments:
File comment: front
1st ap system front small.jpg
1st ap system front small.jpg [ 276.09 KiB | Viewed 3171 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '13, 20:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Nice open space, I so want some of that...

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '13, 01:38 

I know this thread is old - But in San Antonio

The Circle X Garden - Circle X Garden Youtube Channel

San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Sep 26th, '13, 03:14 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Predominantly
wordthief wrote:
Well ok. There's not much to show. I must explain before I share my embarrassment ;>)

.. the flattest part of my yard is the lowest (close to the house, anyway)
.. I dug a hole for my IBC FT and did not reinforce the walls except with the cage (this works fine until it rains)
.. I built up a brim around it to keep water out of between the plastic and the ground. This helped but the damage is done. (but it's unreliable imo)
.. the "damage" is the IBC experienced several mudslides under it, lifting it. Now the IBC plastic pushes with immense force against an IBC gravel bed which pushes with immense force... The plastic is bent in several places.
Lesson: I would not put an IBC in the ground again.

What I'm growing: 6 different heirloom tomatoes and nicotiana. I thought nicotiana would be like some marigolds, since it's dominant active chemical compound is pretty toxic. It turns out.. :naughty: well no,.. at least not for grasshoppers!! They love tobacco! :twisted:

I am due for a hard redesign but I plan for the system to be a bit bigger.

There's PLENTY of room for me to be wrong about this, of course, but the "look & feel" of your picture makes me assume you're in western McKinney, probably not all that far from Frisco. I only say that, of course, because the eastern half (with the exception of some areas out near Princeton) are older and more densely built. Oh, and also because I'm in Frisco, and it looks like that around here too, and if you miss the street signs then you often can't tell when you've driven out of one city and into another. Also, I use the same kind of reinforcing wiring to hold up my tomatoes. Good on ya!

I also have an IBC in the ground, and have experienced some side-collapaseage as well, so while I may end up putting another in the ground, this time I will make certain to reinforce and insulate the cage before doing so.

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '13, 00:59 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Murphy Texas here. New to the forup as of today! I have a small system that I started in late June and will be expanding over the winter. Hopefully will have pics posted soon.

Anyone nearby have Tilapia fingerlings for sale?

By the way, I am no expert, but I know what has worked for me.

My system
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=19070
Upgrade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19517

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 15:49 

Are you human?: ?
dallas here - still getting my system design worked out.

i understand there is a very active Houston area group:
http://aquaponics.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/houston/

check them out - bound to find someone in driving distance who has a leg up on the rest of us.

good luck.

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '13, 01:26 

NE Texas here (Texarkana Area) nothin up yet but hope to be done soon, mines gonna be inside & climate controlled for year round gardening .

PostPosted: Nov 10th, '13, 14:45 

Hi Guys, I'm newbie to AP and even newer to BYAP. Having set up a simple single ICB FT and GB some months back it looks like it will have to go to a new home shortly. Come January we'll be moving to Houston and I'm keen to connect with some locals to hear about local conditions and suppliers as I am keen to carry on in the new location. It will probably take me a few months to find a house and settle into work and family life before I go setting up a new system but no harm planning ahead....

Therefore if you happen to be in Houston/Texas or know of members that are can you drop me the info. Appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Ps. Can you search for member's locations on BYAP? I haven't figured it out if you can. Thanks

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '13, 09:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Predominantly
Humphs - I wish I'd know this before last weekend - I was in Katy for my daughter's Taekwondo tournament, having passed through Houston, and would have looked around. I know several people in Houston, but none of them are doing aquaponics, so I know that's no help at all.

However, while I don't know how it is in Australia, over here if you need to find bulkhead adapters for your tanks it seems the best place to find them are at tractor supply stores, and I simply couldn't help but notice that there is a tractor supply company right in front of the "Leonard E Merrell Center" in Katy, TX (where the tournament was held).

It is located on the service road of I-10 at 1463:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.77814 ... 1&t=h&z=16

Hope that helps!

Also, someone started a "Looking for folks in Houston/Katy area" thread back in 2011 that might be of some use - it is here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10123

Other than that, I'd just Google: Houston, TX Aquaponics and see what comes up...

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '13, 12:55 

Thanks Shelgeyr. It all helps and this will enable me to start to build up some reference material to get things moving sooner rather than later.

I have yet to decide where to live but Katy has been one suggestion, as have Sugarland and the Woodlands. Any thoughts on these or other suggested locations worth looking into? I'll be working in the CBD but have a family with 3 young children.

Cheers

PostPosted: Nov 15th, '13, 11:45 

Longview, area and very new to the to this hole thing I grew up doing gardening with my grandparents but don't have that much rome in my backyard.
Putting together my greenhouse this weekend when I get off work (work for a large rural ems) and then will be putting the parts together for a small scall ap system so any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Nov 15th, '13, 15:17 

Amarillo area here. Small IBC setup in the back yard, made a little cold frame to get it through this winter and then next spring we're putting in a greenhouse and expanding. Right now it's wrapped up in bubble wrap and looks rather tragic, but it's working.

Attachment:
IMG_2939[1].jpg
IMG_2939[1].jpg [ 59.24 KiB | Viewed 2882 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 15th, '13, 17:30 
Nice covers...

PostPosted: Nov 15th, '13, 23:12 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Shelgeyr wrote:
Humphs - I wish I'd know this before last weekend - I was in Katy for my daughter's Taekwondo tournament, having passed through Houston, and would have looked around. I know several people in Houston, but none of them are doing aquaponics, so I know that's no help at all.

However, while I don't know how it is in Australia, over here if you need to find bulkhead adapters for your tanks it seems the best place to find them are at tractor supply stores, and I simply couldn't help but notice that there is a tractor supply company right in front of the "Leonard E Merrell Center" in Katy, TX (where the tournament was held).

It is located on the service road of I-10 at 1463:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.77814 ... 1&t=h&z=16

Hope that helps!

Also, someone started a "Looking for folks in Houston/Katy area" thread back in 2011 that might be of some use - it is here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10123

Other than that, I'd just Google: Houston, TX Aquaponics and see what comes up...

I have found amazon to be the cheapest place to get bulkhead fittings.

By the way, I am no expert, but I know what has worked for me.

My system
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=19070
Upgrade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19517

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '13, 10:29 

TheBigB wrote:
3-Acre-Bed wrote:
TheBigB where are you in North Fort Worth? I live in Northwest of Fort Worth towards Decatur and would like to see a running system in person.

I live on the edge of Keller and Fort Worth close to Texas Motor Speedway, but unfortunatly I do not have my system up and running yet. I have a very small "proof of concept" system running with no plants, but I am still gathering material for my larger system. I should be working on it very soon though so if your interested to see it during or immediatly have the build just let me know.

I'm in North Fort Worth as well, between Saginaw and Lake Worth. I'd like to see your system when you get it going!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next