All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '15, 05:30 

Are you human?: yes
Hey there everyone. I saw that there was a washington thread already but nobody has been on it or posted in a long time. I'm hoping to find ANYONE in washington actively pursuing it.

I'm an aquaponics engineer from Hawaii. I have certifications from NOAA and University of Hawaii, completed internship at Olomana Gardens, and have built and designed multiple systems over the past 3 years. I'm in Seattle now and have a small aquaponics business with 7 system accounts so far. 2 Educational and 2 production. I have been searching, and searching hard to find ANYONE involved in aquaponics out here. I have contacted ALL of the Aquaponics businesses and systems Ive been able to find and have barely received any responses. I don't know if they stopped their business or just plain do not want to participate in a community of aquaponic farmers, and would rather compete with each other instead of help one another out.

I've become part of a committee/think tank that is geared towards generating public awareness about aquaponics. We are networking with multiple organizations in Western Washington Counties and the Puget Sound Regional Council to try and incorporate Aquaponics into their sustainable food action plan. The more people and companies we have on board, the better. I'm flabbergasted that only 3 of the 12 Systems in this state that I can find are interested in generating more income for themselves whether it's thru education, produce sales, or fish sales. In Hawaii there is a MASSIVE network of Aquaponic Farmers that meet regularly, teach one another, and really work together to spread the notions of sustainability. Here is who I have contacted (multiple times for each) in Washington so far and where communication stands with them:

True Blue Aquaponics in Seattle - Stable correspondence with Alex
Central City Farm Trust in Central Seattle - Stable correspondence with Ray
Seattle Tilth Urban Farm in Rainier Beach - Stable correspondence with Anthony

eFISHient Aquaponics in Bellingham - NO RESPONCE from Ken Block or Evan Wolf
Evergreen College in Olympia - NO RESPONCE from Jessica Schilke
Urbanist Farms in West Seattle - NO RESPONCE
Aquaponics Unlimited in Yelm - NO RESPONCE
TESC Systems in Olympia - NO RESPONCE
Sweet Heaven Aquaponics in Darrington - NO RESPONCE
Sound Aquaponics in Rochester - NO RESPONCE
Synergy Aquaponics in Moses Lake - NO RESPONCE
LifeNet Aquaponics in Northport Washington - NO RESPONCE

In order for aquaponics to catch on out here in the PNW we need help and testimonies/case studies from the above farms and other aquaponic farmers in washington state. At the very least, creating a network of as many aquaponic farmers out here is super important. When we run into any problems with our systems, or fish illness, etc we can all turn to one another for help. Same stands for interested parties/individuals in this state that want to learn about aquaponics or have a system installed on their property; knowing who is closest to them so as to keep things as local and connected as possible, will help all of us stay afloat both financially and sustainably.

If you are an aquaponic farmer anywhere in washington WITH ANY SIZE SYSTEM please reply so I can expand this network. Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to meeting/conversing with any and all of you.

-Seth the Muskrat

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 10th, '15, 14:40 

I am currently trying to research the viability of a commercial aquaponics startup in southwest Washington state. I am in the preliminary stages and have a familiarity with it, but I am trying to gather all of the information available so I can determine what it would take to be profitable. I imagine that locally grown produce throughout the year instead of imports from Mexico would be a selling point if the numbers work out. Although I would not be a great resource at this point I would be interested in being "in the loop" and I would be willing to help however I could.

Thanks,
Jason Cozad

PostPosted: Feb 6th, '15, 11:22 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi, I knew here. I have a small Aquaponic set up in Eastern Washington, in the middle of the desert. It's been running for about two years now. I'm fascinated by the idea, and can hardly wait to expand. I like the idea of checking out other systems, sharing ideas and such. What brings you from Hawaii?

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '15, 01:24 

Im just learning thinking about it.

PostPosted: Aug 22nd, '15, 11:54 

I'm interested in the possibility of an aquaponic farm. Ideally supply a local farm stand and restaurants with produce and doing koi . possibly tilapia as well but want to learn more and determine the best set-up, etc. I'm a master gardener but have never considered a commercial setup before. I'm a retired nurse and this seems to hit multiple pros for me. A healthy industry that is self sufficient with minimal work on maintenance if done correctly and supporting local businesses that also are promoting healthy living. Healthy use of my land, healthy job, healthy message, good for community.
Would love to network, learn more, maybe get help setting up and getting it right from the beginning.

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '15, 00:29 

Are you human?: YES
Welcome to the forum Cowgirl :wave:

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '15, 02:59 

Thank you. I look forward to learning more. My place would be easy access for a learning/ teaching farm. I'd love to share what I learn so more people can eat and live a healthier lifestyle

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '15, 08:50 

Hello everyone, we are a small aquaponics system in Bellingham. Started up everything a few weeks ago. Eager to expand and provide for the local market.

PostPosted: Feb 29th, '16, 13:32 

Hi folks,

I'm up in the Blaine area and have had a fascination with aquaponics for several years that have not come to life in a physical form as of yet. Very interested in learning more.

Everleigh farms, since we're very close, would be interested in learning more about your system.

Mike

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '16, 04:07 

Hey All!!

I am in Everett WA. looking to take some tours of some systemes close to home...
any info would be helpful!!

Build it and they will come...

Thanks
Brian

PostPosted: Apr 29th, '16, 03:50 

Bump for Brian's post

Welcome to the forum Brian :wave:

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '16, 11:11 

Man I wish I had seen this while I was still in WA! I built a small green house system in Bothell. I forget my old sign on but if I find my thread I'll post it here.

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '16, 06:50 

I'm in Seattle but I'm not active and don't have a system yet. I'm just starting to do research and see what my options are. Though it's going to be small for home use.

But I was curious to see what's in the area.

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '16, 00:25 

Brian7138 live up in Arlington wa. best way to contact rogerabraham@live.com

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '16, 04:20 

Update from OP:

Hey there everyone! Thanks for all the replies over the last 2 years! It seems I didn't check the box that would send me notifications everytime someone posted! lol. So here I am now catching up on it and getting in touch!

The last two years have been very productive for me and my AP business here in Seattle. Slow-going, but productive. Only designed/built a couple dozen systems, fixed a few that new home owners/renters inherited, made some greenhouses, and taught a few hundred students thru local colleges/universities.

I recently had to move, dismantle my greenhouse system, and sell off a lot of inventory at a significant financial loss (which took forever) but is finally done for the most part. I hope all y'all are faring well this winter and will check back here more frequently to keep up to date as possible.