All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sep 17th, '13, 01:00 
Offline

Joined: Sep 4th, '13, 20:21
Posts: 4
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: USA, Louisiana
Anyone in the Baton Rouge are know of a good place to get grow bed media? I have been looking for a source of expanded shale in the area but not having much luck.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
    Advertisement
 
PostPosted: Sep 17th, '13, 03:04 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 01:52
Posts: 29
Location: Southern Mississippi
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: South Mississippi
MrGrinch wrote:
Anyone in the Baton Rouge are know of a good place to get grow bed media? I have been looking for a source of expanded shale in the area but not having much luck.


I was looking for expanded Shale too. Looked on E bay and found a place in Houston that sells it. I was thinking of heading over there with the trailer and picking up about 5 pallets worth


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sep 17th, '13, 03:14 
Offline

Joined: Sep 4th, '13, 20:21
Posts: 4
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: USA, Louisiana
Just spoke to a guy at Big River in Erwinville, La. They sell a min of 1000lbs for $200 of expanded clay. i don't need anywhere near that amount, but he's supposed to bring me a sample tomorrow. I will update here what I find.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sep 17th, '13, 05:45 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sep 17th, '13, 05:05
Posts: 12
Location: East Central MS
Gender: Female
Are you human?: YES
Location: Mississippi, U.S.
Hi, I am new here; this is my first post :wave1: I

have been reading and pondering this all for a few years; getting ready, but not set up yet. (I need help!) We are in MS, Hinds County, and I want to set up a family-size, off-grid system inside an old potato house converted into a greenhouse. I have MANY questions, as obviously each system is unique...looking for help! Anyone in the business of consulting? Any retired engineers out there?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sep 18th, '13, 05:10 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 01:52
Posts: 29
Location: Southern Mississippi
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: South Mississippi
mudcat wrote:
Hi, I am new here; this is my first post :wave1: I

have been reading and pondering this all for a few years; getting ready, but not set up yet. (I need help!) We are in MS, Hinds County, and I want to set up a family-size, off-grid system inside an old potato house converted into a greenhouse. I have MANY questions, as obviously each system is unique...looking for help! Anyone in the business of consulting? Any retired engineers out there?



I'm Starting mine up too. I can design your system if you give me some dimensions. I am using IBC totes for mine. Not sure what you have in mind for yours. I live in the south but glad to help you any way i can.

JG


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sep 18th, '13, 05:33 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sep 17th, '13, 05:05
Posts: 12
Location: East Central MS
Gender: Female
Are you human?: YES
Location: Mississippi, U.S.
Thanks, jgendr! The q's I have are these: how to moderate temps with solar power; which fish are least susceptible to temp extremes (carp or tilapia?) and how to move water with solar power or manually, on a fulcrum or pulley system...I have a real lot of general ideas. :drunken: I will start a thread right now called Off Grid System. Thanks!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 4th, '13, 20:54 
Offline

Joined: Sep 4th, '13, 20:21
Posts: 4
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: USA, Louisiana
Anyone in the Baton Rouge area have some extra grow bed medium I could purchase from you? I only need 2-3 five gallon buckets of medium to get me started. I have some expanded clay but it only fills half of my GB.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 5th, '13, 06:37 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sep 17th, '13, 05:05
Posts: 12
Location: East Central MS
Gender: Female
Are you human?: YES
Location: Mississippi, U.S.
I just bought a 4 cu ft bag of perlite here in Jackson at the yard and garden store; have you called around? Expanded clay is harder to get, though...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 25th, '13, 04:14 
Offline

Joined: Sep 18th, '13, 05:16
Posts: 8
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Harrison County, MS
Has anyone gone through the permit process for Tilapia in Mississippi? How hard was it to get the permit?

Thanks,
MIke


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 26th, '13, 01:58 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 01:52
Posts: 29
Location: Southern Mississippi
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: South Mississippi
Mike63 wrote:
Has anyone gone through the permit process for Tilapia in Mississippi? How hard was it to get the permit?

Thanks,
MIke



No not yet but planning on it soon.

I've got some info but not much. How bout you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 12:11 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Oct 28th, '13, 12:05
Posts: 10
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Ask me after coffee
Location: Brandon, Mississippi
Hi from Brandon, Mississippi

Have a system pretty much built and located in a greenhouse. Looking at types of fish and plants now.
Anyone tried perch? I know Tilipia are popular but I want to try something different. My system consists of an IBC fish tank with a swirl filter and sump feeding four 27 gallon totes set up for DWC. It's all one big experiment :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 23:35 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sep 17th, '13, 05:05
Posts: 12
Location: East Central MS
Gender: Female
Are you human?: YES
Location: Mississippi, U.S.
No... Anybody have experience in LA/MS with Red Claw Crayfish?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 23:53 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 01:52
Posts: 29
Location: Southern Mississippi
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: South Mississippi
mudcat wrote:
No... Anybody have experience in LA/MS with Red Claw Crayfish?


I know that there was a guy over in LA that had some You Tube vids on raising Mudbugs in an AP system. Ya might wanna try there


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 04:25 
Offline

Joined: Sep 18th, '13, 05:16
Posts: 8
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Harrison County, MS
jgendr wrote:
Mike63 wrote:
Has anyone gone through the permit process for Tilapia in Mississippi? How hard was it to get the permit?

Thanks,
MIke



No not yet but planning on it soon.

I've got some info but not much. How bout you



I have not started looking at it yet. The regulations are confusing at best. I'm not even sure a permit is required.

Thanks,
Mike


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 09:51 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 01:52
Posts: 29
Location: Southern Mississippi
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: South Mississippi
Mike63 wrote:
jgendr wrote:
Mike63 wrote:
Has anyone gone through the permit process for Tilapia in Mississippi? How hard was it to get the permit?

Thanks,
MIke



No not yet but planning on it soon.

I've got some info but not much. How bout you



I have not started looking at it yet. The regulations are confusing at best. I'm not even sure a permit is required.

Thanks,
Mike


you have a link to the regulations? please post...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.116s | 16 Queries | GZIP : Off ]