All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mar 12th, '14, 11:25 

Are you human?: YES
JenaSoLovely wrote:
Hi all....just wanted to say hey to those hear from the south. I'm on the west bank of New Orleans here, and have been sifting through the great info on this site for a month or so now and decided to give my first AP system a try as I have access to as many IBC totes as needed. Also, If anyone is looking for IBC 's shoot me a message I have food grade for $100 and will work with you on price if you need a couple.

$100 each is a bit high for IBC's. I was able to pick up 23 for $40 each. Especially since most people that get them to sell usually get them for free. i'm not against someone making money I'm just against someone being greedy and robbing those that want to use them for good projects such as AP.

Welcome to the board.

jg

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 12th, '14, 12:37 

Are you human?: Sometimes
Hi jgendr - where are you getting your IBC's?
I am paying $60/each out of Wiggins - would love to know where I can get them a bit cheaper :)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '14, 02:32 

Are you human?: yes
St Amant La in Ascension parish here. Just getting started.

PostPosted: May 2nd, '14, 00:21 

Hey MrGrinch did they say how much 1000# is in yards

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '14, 06:40 

Hello Group,

I live in Hinds County (Byram MS) and I’m glade I found this Blog. I am planning on building an Aquaporin system in my backyard. I am going to start with a 15’ X 30’ Hoop greenhouse to house the system. My plans are to run the system using solar power (Panels/storage batteries) and solar heating during winter. I was going to use fans to cool with, but after reading some of the post on this Blog I may need to look into a Geothermal system for both heating and cooling.

The greenhouse will be the simplest part, just labor and parts. I have to complete my design for the Aquaporin system so that I can get the power needs to design my solar system. I may need to incorporate a set of LED Grow Lights. My initial light test show that I may not be getting the full 10 – 15 hours of sun need to support good plant growth. I have several trees in the backyard and if I were to cut a few down, I think my wife would divorce me.

I am a firm believer in benchmarking. If you guys want to share you success and failure (so I want repeat them) I would greatly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '14, 03:44 

Welcome Curuim. Good luck with your build.

No, I don't sound like the guy from "The Waterboy".

CajunChef's Rubberbucket Prototype
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21958

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '14, 22:40 

Are you human?: Yes
Checking in from gulfport, MS. I have started my build it consist of 3 ibcs so far 1 250ga fish tank 125ga sump and 3 grow beds. Still waiting to get more lava rock to put up my other 2 grow beds. Right now I just have some feeder goldfish in trying to cycle the system. I will be adding a tilapia permit, a second 250ga fish tank and probably 3 more grow beds. Here is the start to my hopefully successful system. Also keep in mind I just set up one grow bed to get the water to cycling

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '14, 23:06 

You are going to need some sort of support around your other beds to keep them from bowing out. Also, Unless you plan on putting a greenhouse around those tanks, you may want to reconsider that tilapia permit. I use bluegill or catfish in almost all of my systems because they overwinter well. Tilapia will start dying out as soon as the water temps hit around 55F.

MrAllRW wrote:
Checking in from gulfport, MS. I have started my build it consist of 3 ibcs so far 1 250ga fish tank 125ga sump and 3 grow beds. Still waiting to get more lava rock to put up my other 2 grow beds. Right now I just have some feeder goldfish in trying to cycle the system. I will be adding a tilapia permit, a second 250ga fish tank and probably 3 more grow beds. Here is the start to my hopefully successful system. Also keep in mind I just set up one grow bed to get the water to cycling

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '14, 23:18 

Yea I have the frame from my third ibc that will be cut for their frames. I do also plan to add a greenhouse as well as some way to heat the tanks. I will also be putting up some solar panels and take it off the grid. Like I said this current configuration was really just to get the cycling process started. I also would like to do a couple DWC beds. So 2 of my additional 3 will be DWC

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '14, 03:37 

Cool deal - sounds like you got it figured out.
If you want some ideas, hit me up on facebook. I am in Saucier and have built more than a 100 AP and hydro systems around here as well as given presentations at levels from elementary schools to Master Gardeners on hydroponics and aquaponics.

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '14, 05:11 

Will do thanks

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '14, 07:06 

I live in Denham Springs, LA

Anyone doing Aquaponics around the Denham Springs, Walker, Baton Rouge Area?

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '14, 07:22 

Yeah Im in St Amant LA

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '14, 22:58 

Hey folks -- here in Hammond, LA. Wife and I have a small farm (chickens, ducks, goats, sheep) and I've been sort of eyeing up an aquaponics system for awhile for doing some growing. Glad to see such a thing is doable in Louisiana.

Got a LOT of reading ahead of me!

Would love to somehow work duck water into the system (their fecal matter contains some 30% undigested matter -- sounds like good fish food to me) -- I had looked at some documents on fish/duck farms in Asia, but it only seems to work on a much larger scale. Also read some work from someone on backyardchickens.com who had a "duckponics" system going, but I think she kept running into pump issues (too much solid matter).

Anyway, glad to have found y'all here!

PostPosted: Jul 27th, '14, 06:27 

That sounds great, Although I also am new, let me know if you have any questions or need to brainstorm.

Zak

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next