All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 20th, '12, 23:13 

Are you human?: yes
I'm writing this during a hailstorm but as of mid April 2012 a lot of the UK is now officially in drought and as we are so dependent on both fish and vegetable imports, I'd interested to know if anyone has any ongoing or planned projects - large or small, indoor or greenhouse based?
I can see that the concept of Aquaponics has enourmous potential, even if only in smaller self-grow organic systems.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 21st, '12, 02:10 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: hmm
hi there and welcome from sunny cornwall :wave1:
there are a few of us now and it wont be much longer for the rest to catch on i hope
systems small and large will pop up soon

PostPosted: Apr 21st, '12, 05:35 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Quite a few of us doing it now in the UK !

No drought conditions here in North Wales - we must have had the wettest winter for several years.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '12, 21:35 

welshdragon wrote:
Quite a few of us doing it now in the UK !
No drought conditions here in North Wales - we must have had the wettest winter for several years.

It's a crazy situation where we have such a contrast of water supply over such a relatively small land mass, but I guess it all helps make our little place in the world so unique.
It also highlights how important smaller scale and resource efficient food production systems like Aquaponics are going to be in the future.
As a 'techie' my interest is more on the technology behind building and controlling these mini eco-systems.

Well done to you welshdragon and to gbhtrev for pioneering these ideas in the UK.

Colin

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '12, 22:19 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: hmm
the good thing about aquaponics is that it can be as low tech as you want it to be, and as cheap as you want as well, also it wont be long before large scale systems will start popping up, after all with over 50% of the uk now officially in drought the government will have to start encouraging farmers to look to new ways to grow the food we need.
And as an ex-techie i love low tech solutions to problems, but aquaponics wont be well recieved in all quarters of the gardening world, after all we dont use chemicals or compost or all those tools and gadgets they just love to sell (i have a shed full lol), mind you sales of gravel would go through the roof

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '12, 07:11 

Hello there,

by way of introduction, I'm Lawrence. I'm not doing it yet. I've kept tropical and cold freshwater fish for 30 odd years and been involved in the set up and running of a barramundi farm here in Hampshire. Although late coming to aquaponics it's been bumping around my mind for years. Now I'm finally getting my arse in gear and doing something about it. Just doing all the reading and planning at the moment and wanted to make contact with other like minded folks, particularly anyone in blighty. :)

PostPosted: Dec 20th, '12, 03:10 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi, I'm new to Aquaponics and fish in general, though a keen veg grower with an allotment. I've a FishPlant system in my greenhouse with six small Koi in it which have survived for a whole week. I've loads to learn but really looking forward to seeing what the system will produce.

We're not currently going down the edible fish root as DH is a vegetarian and my children looked at me like I was a mass murderer when I suggested having trout and eating them.

PostPosted: Dec 26th, '12, 19:52 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hello Pipkin

Welcome to the world of AP and you are amongst the many in the UK who now have systems set up and running,some bigger than others. Use the Koi as your starter and progress to bigger and better systems with trout and all sorts of fish.

As for you being a mass murderer, well, start small and progress. Most of us have killed some of our fish, and not for food rather in the cause of learning about keeping them alive. Unfortunately we managed to kill the lot in our early years. You learn.

Keep posting

WD and OH

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Dec 28th, '12, 07:14 

Are you human?: Yes
Thanks for the welcome WD and OH. I'm definitely seeing the attractions of having a bigger system, is that an inevitable part of the AP initiation process ?!

Am really hoping I don't kill this lot of fish as I'm growing surprisingly attached to them, friendly little things and very therapeutic to watch for a few minutes break from the usual chaos I'm surrounded by. It's all ok for now but I've read enough threads to know how quickly things can change ....

PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '13, 01:33 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: plant
Hi CCJJ, we are building an aquaponic farm in Somerset maily to sell in farmers market and local restaurants, by june we will be up and running and the we add value by producing gourmet fish product(terrine, pate',smoking,smoked trout ravioli etc..)
We will supply from various farmers market to local restaurants and on some occasion we give private catering service.
An aquaponic business basically, hope you find plenty of helpfull info here and if you need any local help give us a shout.

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '13, 02:07 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Some would say so.
I was wondering where all the UKers were hiding and now I've found you!

I'm about to start setting up my second system (first one was a single IBC system). Not sure how it's going to be put together yet but I currently have 2 IBC's (food grade), 4 bath tubs, a garage and a 3m x 2.6m greenhouse to play with.

Also been thinking about getting a few of these for grow beds - http://www.tanksdirectuk.co.uk/dog_groo ... (135_litre). Has anyone used them before?

Is there anyone here based in the Kent/London/Essex areas?

"Spooky action at a distance."

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '13, 16:49 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hi Matt,
those tub server the purpose, only con's they tend to bow in the middle, If you can try to build a simple wood frame to prevent the side from bending as overtime they might crack!
If you will be placing this outside I will insulate as it's likely to freeze in winter!

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '13, 17:10 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks bioaquafarm.

I am toying with the idea of building my own grow beds and using the baths for the sumps. If I build my own GB then I could insulate them with Kingspan. I could also build a box for the baths and fill the space with rockwall.

Any other good UK sources for GB?

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '13, 18:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

If you are building GB with plywood or any wood at least 25mm thick then you don't need insultaion there, and if you go for thin wood then get some carpet insulation underlay (cheaper that kingspan), For the insulation in the sump there are alternative eco-wool (made from recycled plastic bottle) or even better If you can dig tanks or sump in the ground that will provide free insulation, you will only need to worry about the top cover in that case.

PS= rock-wool fibre comes from basalt rock (mined material) it needs extremely harmfull chemical to be produce(farmaldeide) loads of energy to be manifactured and spun in a fine wool, it would never biodegrade or be recycled. known cancerogenic!
IT'S THE CUOSIN OF ASBESTOS!!
I should start up a thread (BOYCOTT ROCKWOOL!)

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '13, 19:19 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Well, I never knew that. I will never go near the stuff again!

I cant dig into the ground unfortunately :(

I can source some 25mm ply so that may be the way to go. I want to make the system so it can be easily moved and the current location is on sloping paved ground so maybe some kind of stand with adjustable feet would be a good idea?

The FT will go in the garage wrapped with Kingspan (I have a few sheets already that were given to me) to keep the winter cold out. Not sure what fish to go for yet. Any recommendations?