All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar 19th, '07, 19:13 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: yes
So like this :rr: ?

Where do you get a list of all these?

Stuart

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar 19th, '07, 19:15 
Spam Assassin (Be afraid!)
Spam Assassin     (Be afraid!)

go to post reply, click on the view more emoticons at the left hand side, then play in your topic, so the schoolies don't get overtaken :)

................................................................. . Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar 19th, '07, 19:56 

steve wrote:
Quote:
What the.. I went in to fix the quote in Mc :rr: 's previous post and it then landed up as my post...

Need to hone your MOD skills AM ;)

I see that :shock: ... I must be getting rusty - well, my mod skills are anyways ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar 19th, '07, 20:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
those little voices keeping you busy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar 19th, '07, 20:47 

Mc ":" "rr" ":"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar 19th, '07, 20:48 

Oops.. that was suppose to be preview ! gumby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar 20th, '07, 20:40 

Quote:
those little voices keeping you busy?

If I did not have the little voices I would be a very lonely man ;)

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '09, 20:02 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Few things I have done so far this year aquaponics related with year primary students.

Science
Yabby lifecycles, cut out the different pictures and glue them back on a page in order with arrows showing the lifecycle direction. Colour the yabbies the correct colour after looking at the ones in the fish tank and then decorate the page to look like the lifecycle is in a fish tank. Good for year 3,4,5 students.

Aquaponics system flow diagrams, this is accompanied by facts copied off the board. Facts include definitions and the role of each part of the aquaponics system. Kids then draw a system showing the flow of water and using different colours to define clean and dirty water. Done with year 5 students.

Maths
Extended maths group (year 6/7)
Create a poster showing all the important key facts relating to our big school system including FT volume and surface area, Sump volume and surface area, individual GB volume and surface area, total water volumes, total GB volumes and area. Must draw system to scale centrally on the poster and show all working out around it.
Maths space/Art - enlargement, drawing to scale
Using enlarged graph paper (A4 blown up to A3) draw the marron that has a 1cm grid over it to exact scale and detail.

Science/S&E Year 6/7
Research a freshwater species and create a poster depicting all the facts, must include origin, latin name, lifecycle, points of keeping the species, natural habitat etc.

Art - year 3/4
Look at the trout picture and shade the outline picture provided to make it look as realistic as possible using pencil blending, could also be done with eticol dye and older kids.

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '09, 20:46 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi I'm a lecturer in Aquaculture at the WA Maritime Training Centre in Fremantle. We are a part of Challenger Tafe. Here we have one of the largest marine hatcherys in Australia. Although we mainly deal with marine finfish such as Yellowtail Kingfish and Pink Snapper we also culture euryhaline species such as Black Bream and Barramundi. These species can be used in freshwater aquaponics systems and we have produced thousands of fingerlings. If there are teachers that want a tour of the facilities then I am happy for any school group to come to our hatchery for a school tour. The tour lasts about an 90 minutes and the best time for me would be a tuesday or friday. If you want to bring a class along then ring me on 92398015.

PostPosted: Mar 29th, '09, 21:51 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Trouble is when I forget how to do it. :rr: isnt it?

Ap System is slow atm, I need to get more fish.. only 1 large Jade Pearch atm...

Current Growth:http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=857&start=105
Construction Photo's:http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=857&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

PostPosted: Sep 9th, '09, 22:34 

Aquaponics in the school environment

Below is a summery of subjects and how they could ‘possibly’ be used to include a school Aquaponics system in the curriculum. These are just the random ideas pulled together one afternoon. There are gaps and a lot of space for additions, so feel free to list the subject and how you would use AP in the selected subject…. (trying to make using AP for teachers easier  )

Science:
*The Nitrogen Cycle: This can be done in several grades – discussions about the fact that fish produce ammonia and need to be broken down or they will be poisoned and die!!! Students would fill a system with water (measuring the ph and ammonia before adding it to the system) - students then run the system for a few days and take measurements again before adding fish. Students add the fish and do regular water checks , recording the findings
*Change in PH: Same as above, but focusing on ph only – would be linked to environmental conditions , impact of industry on our systems or similar subject matter. Discussions would need to be had as to what causes the swings in ph (links to nitrogen cycle too),
**Plants: Propagation of plants - both through seed and vegetative reproduction (can be covered simultaneously or individually). The life cycle of plants can easily be monitored in an Aquaponics system. Seeds can be planted and records kept regarding growth rate (could have various conditions at the same time such as a dry grow bed, and grow beds which receive more/less water etc). Students would be able to monitor the entire life cycle over several weeks, as apposed to simply germinating the seeds then seeing photos and drawings of the rest of the plant’s life cycle (from seed, to plant, flowers and back to seed).
*You would also grow plants which reproduce through runners, tubers, rhizomes etc to use as examples in lessons. Aquaponics has proved itself to be an effective means of striking cuttings, which adds yet more material to lessons (plus plants which can be planted out around the school, or potted on for sale at the school fare).
*Plant structures: look at plant and leaf structures , as well at root types . Can also look at examples of herbaceous plants and woody plants (difference and similarities) – students would grow their own, involving them more in the process.
*Adaptations: Adaptations plants have for living in water and on dry land –including reproductive mechanisms.
**Animals:
*Adaptations of marine animals (fish) (gills, shape etc)
*Structures of crustaceans – even reproductive mechanisms.

HOME EC.
*Healthy schools – preparing food grown organically in the aquaponics system – look into nutritional information of the various foods prepared. Advantages of organic foods, what are organic foods and demand for organic foods. Is aquaponics truly organic…
*Explore various was of preparing the produce from the aquaponics system

Manual Arts
*Build a small system (including supporting structures – examine load bearing…) would involve designing, sketching (the design process through to evaluation of the product at the end).
*Design and build a smaller, portable system – cold be used as an item to sell at a school fair.

Maths
*Calculating the volume of various shaped tanks and grow-beds – used in conjunction with money to work out the cost to purchase the correct amount of media to fill the grow-beds ($ per meter cubed etc)
*Calculate the total volume of a system (when idle or during a flooding cycle – include plumbing) Try calculate the water demand to be able to run the system compared with the water available.
*Flow rates
*Ratios and conversion rates

Business Ed.
*Work with manual arts- calculate the total costs (including labour) to build various systems.
Monitor, record and chart the running costs of an established system - compare this to the market value of the produce harvested from the system (fish, redclaw and plant matter) – use this to analyse wether the system is running at a profit or at a loss
*Calculate the cost to build an averaged sized system, stocking costs, running costs, the projected market value of produced harvested – use all this data to calculate how long it would take to break even and run at a profit.
*Use aquaponics to examine small business models and business plans
*Students could use an established system to grow plants/produce which they sell on to staff and students (students involved pay for fish food not the fish, this would be their running costs plus the cost of seed and seedlings) Students do a break even analysis.
*Students look at legislation which affects aquaponics –reason for legislation, policing and enforcement and penalties for noncompliance.

Marine ED
*Aquaculture – students would compare similarities and difference between aquaponics and aquaculture – pros and cons of each
*Look at native species and invasive/pest species – rear natives for release in local water ways to help restore native fish populations.
*Study factors which impact upon fish growth – do various experiments under differing conditions (side by side) to monitor differences in growth.
* Compare the growth rate and return on 2 different species of fish grown side by side under the same conditions.
*Design and build a functioning aquaponics system. Stock the system and monitor water quality (keep records and plot data- including costs involved)
* Use CAD software to design a portable system for a patio or balcony

SOSE:
*Reducing malnutrition – possible uses of aquaponics to grow much neede fresh produce in areas where it is most needed.
*Mistakes made by industry/individuals which now affect aquaponics (tilapia and various other pest fish being recklessly introduced, now not permitted as stock for an AP system)

Some other topics
*Is there a need backyard food production?
*Taking the power out of the hands of the huge chain stores through the production of your own food/ community gardens.
*Those who control the food, hold the real power over others. – taking the power back from these huge companies and empowering the so called small man – aquaponics as one approach.

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '09, 10:29 

Once again I am spending hours on the net looking around for grants... all I want is enough cash to build the system below... 2 separate systems under one roof so as to allow the keeping of 2 different species of fish and compare growth rates etc... not asking for much

Attachments:
school system 3.jpg
school system 3.jpg [ 117.51 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]
school system 2.jpg [154.54 KiB]
Downloaded 2060 times
school system 1.jpg [154.16 KiB]
Downloaded 2059 times

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '09, 19:30 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Vegetable
I'd like to add to your science topics:

Physics
* The siphon effect and how it can be used to make an auto-siphon or a no holes overflow
* The venturi effect and how it can be used to pickup solids from the bottom of a tank or mix air with water.

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '10, 12:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
I've pulled together a presentation on AP for my local school, the P&C are onboard, and think it a good/great idea, so far the only wet fish (scuse the pun) is our principal. The biggest argument is that "it can't fit into the national curriculum".

Now I know this is not true, however not being a teacher, and it being 25 years or more since I was in school I have no idea about the content of the National Curriculum and how to describe the features linked to it.

Below I've included the text of benefits and subjects, I have taken much of this off the forum so If it's your work (I apologise - but thank you).

I had an invaluable chat to Burnsy last week and would be grateful for any input.

Curriculum

Home Economics
Healthy schools – preparing food grown organically in the aquaponics system – look into nutritional information various foods. Advantages of organic foods, what are organic foods and demand for organic foods;
Explore various was of preparing the produce from the aquaponics system;
Maths & Business
Explore selling and the market (get the students involved);
Monitor, record and chart the running costs of an established system - compare this to the market value of the produce harvested from the system – use this to analyse wether the system is running at a profit or at a loss;
Calculate the volume of tanks & surface area;
Calculate the cost to build an averaged sized system, stocking costs, the projected market value of produced harvested – use all this data to calculate how long it would take to break even and run at a profit.
Science:
The Nitrogen Cycle: This can be done in several grades;
What is pH ?: focusing on ph – what is the lin to environmental conditions;
Plants: Propagation of plants - both through seed and vegetative reproduction, The life cycle of plants can easily educated to students, and visibly monitored in an Aquaponics system;
Seeds can be planted and records kept regarding growth rate;
Lifecycle of a yabbie;
Flow Diagrams - Aquaponics system flow diagrams;
Adaptations Adaptations plants have for living in water and on dry land –including reproductive mechanisms;
Research a freshwater species and create a poster depicting all the facts, must include origin, latin name, lifecycle, points of keeping the species, natural habitat etc;
Design and build a smaller, portable system – cold be used as an item to sell at a school market;
Create a siphon, find out how to make a machine without any moving parts.

School & Student Benefits
Hands on Learning
Discover Biodiversity in a closed environment
To teach students how to run a profitable business;
Teach student not to be dependent on processed foods;
Healthy food choices, links to optimum health;
Understand the relationship between gardens and the table;
Experience new foods, new flavours and new textures,
Develop an appreciation of fresh, seasonal food;
Understanding of environmental issues such as soil health,
water management, seed-saving, organic pest control and
plant diversity;
To provide a solid income stream for the Springfield P&C;
To provide fresh produce for the school canteen;
Build students’, families’ and local communities’ pride in their school,
Be recognised as a valuable contributor to educational innovation;
Build internal and external community networks, during the construction phase and ongoing maintenance;
Provide a new opportunity for children, parents and families to discuss what happens in the Garden Program and apply what is learnt at home;

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '10, 19:37 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Hi Phred ...

Are your ideas aimed at .. Primary or Secondary?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next