All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 4th, '11, 20:17 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Can you please help me?!? For those that do not know, I am a parent of three little tackers and I am in the process of trying to convince our local primary school to install an aquaponics setup. We have a system at home and thoroughly believe in the whole "aquaponics thing". There is a growing interest in the area and I want our school to be ahead of the game... PLUS the learning benefits are astronomical!

Anyway, I mentioned the idea late last year at the Governing Council meeting and have had a few queries since. The teachers and principal would like me to do a presentation at a staff meeting. This is where I need your help: What questions should I expect? The staff were previously not aware of the concept so I am basically talking to newbies. Especially you teachers out there, what were some of the questions you needed to know beforehand to present the idea to your schools?

Our school has approx 95 students with classes divided into R/1s, 2/3s, 4/5s and 6/7s. We are in country SA and the school has a healthy eating policy (which goes well with growing fresh fruit & veges) and a great kitchen setup with plenty of student participation in cooking. The only problem is that we buy our fruit and veges(F&V) in and it is up to the parents to show the kids where F&Vs come from.

The main concerns I have had include:
>The size of the sytem - they want something portable so each class gets a go.
>Security - they have had problem with vandalism :upset: and had to get rid of their vege patch years ago because of the damage. This is why portable will work as it can stay indoors at night!
>Type of fish - they would prefer something like goldfish as they do not want to kill and eat the fish, keeping the system simple, especially at the start and a consideration for the vegetarians at the school.
> Who is going to look after the system out of school hours? - Teacher load and all.

I want to be VERY well prepared. It goes without saying that teachers especially are reassured by preparation!! The 5 P's and all :D

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 4th, '11, 21:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Some Time
I think the question "Who" is the most important.
AP is not easy, you need someone in charge of the system.

The rest part is easy for you, i think.

cheer
+
O