All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: meancoyotes system
PostPosted: Mar 9th, '12, 18:31 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

If you are going to use a bell syphon you will probably leave an inch or so in the bottom after draining. Six inches is imho to shallow for most herbs and veggies, many do not thrive with "wet feet". I use 12 inch deep GB and tomatoes and many veggies thrive.
Home depot used to carry the thicker Beckett brand pond liner, but my local store now only has the lighter stuff. I have used the Beckett stuff on all my wooden grow beds and it has served well for five years. If I have to replace any. I will use UBC's cut in half as cheaper and easier, no liner required.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 10th, '12, 09:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Cool, so 12 inches. That is totally doable. What do you have in the growbeds? Gravel is cheap. hydroton is not.

PostPosted: Mar 10th, '12, 10:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

So I have a bit of 12 GA. sheet steel, I could prolly make 5 to 6 four foot by four foot grow beds about 12 inches deep, would it still be necessity to line the growbed? I can make water tight welds no problem, but would the rusting metal hurt anything? I know copper is bad, but is iron? I am bettin iffin I do a search I may answer my question, so I'll do that now...............

PostPosted: Mar 10th, '12, 21:59 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hytron will float at least at first. I only use it in hydroponic net pots and grow trays. Shipping on it will double the price. I use pea gravel in the grow beds but avoid the red stuff, it will bleed red and cloud your water. Do not use galvanized metal with fish, and bare metal will rust away. The zinc is toxic.

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '12, 10:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I am using IBC for a growbed, then I will use pondliner, also I am giving up on tilapia. I am going to go back to bluegill I think. less hassle.

NAC 504.4595 Possession and propagation of certain species of fish on private property; restrictions
on disposition; documentation on transportation; conditions for taking of fish.
1. A person does not need to obtain a license to possess, propagate, breed or otherwise maintain the
following species of privately planted live fish, including hybrids thereof, in a pond or lake which is not
connected to a state water system by means of a natural water course and which is located wholly on private
property:
(a) Rainbow trout;
(b) Brown trout;
(c) Cutthroat trout;
(d) Brook trout;
(e) Largemouth bass;
(f) Smallmouth bass;
(g) Bluegill sunfish;
(h) Redear sunfish;
(i) Channel catfish;
(j) Black bullhead;

something else I was thinking about, years ago I fed the bluegill popcorn. I dunno Iffin its any good for them, but they ate it. I have a few bluegill in a pond right now, and I think I may tryin catch them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30