All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '17, 07:22 

Are you human?: YES
Hey! :wave1:

I've been keeping my system low key for a year now and now I think is the time to finally get some feedback from it.

I've been Vlogging the build process on YouTube, your more then welcome to check them out.

To short cut 1 year, I've made a 1 Year Anniversary Video specifically in mind to share with the AQ community and get some feedback from you guys!

https://youtu.be/Ph4n2kF0DUI

So have at it, and let me know what changes I should be doing.

Thx!

Attachments:
AP.jpg
AP.jpg [ 466.72 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]

I need 100 subs to get a custom ULR for my channel, so for now this is a link to my 1 Year Anniversary on my Indoor Bookshelf AP System. Feel free to loiter around.
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '17, 09:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

hey dude, looks like a lot of plants, not many fish... where does your solid waste end up? That's where a lot of the nutrients are, basically all of them apart from nitrate, which may be the reason for deficiencies. You could try misting the plants with chilli and garlic infused water to get rid of the spider-mites.

Its funny though cos the basil should do well :think: mint and watercress are other ideal candidates.

Nice compact system though I must say!

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '17, 20:43 

Thx! I think my bookshelf system is the best version that I've seen when I started, who knows who else might have something cool too.

Chilli/garlic mix? Do you have a recipe/link to share on that?

My solid waste generally flows out of the FT overflow and into a plastic sock like thing to try to contain it some. It kinda works... And once a month or so though the summer I'd do a water change of aprox 50 liters and try to remove whats convenient with the solids. Last I checked my nitrates were up there around the 80ppm or so.

I used to have frogbit in the tank, but I don't think I was getting enough air flow so they would mold up. But it seems since I got rid of the frogbit, the tanks looking better.... I should do another chem test and share it. In a nut shell, I believe I'm over producing in the FT and not cleaning enough with the GB.

I do periodically add some iron and seaweed extract stuff to try to make sure I got my nutrients up, but I have no way to test individual levels to be sure. Which leads me to my next fear: What if some of those issues are pest related like the spider mites that came in with the plants I planted in there. :s

I need 100 subs to get a custom ULR for my channel, so for now this is a link to my 1 Year Anniversary on my Indoor Bookshelf AP System. Feel free to loiter around.

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '17, 18:38 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I doubt that you're overproducing in the tank. As I said, I reckon you have few fish for the plants in your system. If your solid fish waste does not end up in the GB then maybe you should put it in there rather than removing it from the system. You say you think you should clean the GB more... why? I imagine this means you have plant waste in there? Do you have worms? If not then it would be a good idea to introduce them, composting worms aka eseina fetida.

I still think your problems are to do with lack of, over over-competition for specific nutrients by your plants, with the rosemary impeding anything else from establishing itself. Do you use your herbs? Many varieties of herbs need to be pruned to thrive, its very simple really, just chop them back leaving at least one leaf and a node - "branch junction" for the pant to re-grow from. If you're somebody that doesn't use herbs in the kitchen, then why not try some ornamental plants like spider plants aka Chlorophytum comosum, which don't need pruning or many nutrients, look nice and are super hardy and easy to grow.

Your pest issue is standard for indoor AP but should be controllable, I don't have a recipe for the chilli and garlic water but you can find one on this forum, in general that solution is for aphids, but regular misting with just plain water might even take care of spider-mites. You should't worry about introducing these pests to your system, even if everything you introduce is clean, these types of critters will find there way to your system anyway.

If you aren't happy with the GB, and want plants you can eat, I would pull all your plants and replace with mint, watercress, basil and lettuce. For the first three you can literally just poke chopped (with leaves) stalks into the substrate and they will root themselves and grow fine, and a few lettuce seedlings... no big plants

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '17, 19:37 

Well I'm happy to hear that maybe my tanks are not over populated! I was not looking forward to flushing them. Even my sis texted me and told me not too! lolz

I do have worms! :)
I don't clean out my GB, but I have cleaned out my Sump Tank often to some degree. It gathers faster then I recon it would break down. I only feed my fish once a day and do my best to no over feed them, none of them have grown in size.

I'm finding myself not needed to grow edibles mostly due to that I'm single and cook for one so I eat out of the freezer. I know... lol So I'm thinking of changing them out for ornamental plants. I thought of putting in Mint, even bought some to put in, but I'm glad I did not as it think the root system might be too much for my siphon system. One drawback to it is its external and the exit outlet is buried. I actually had to dig up one of my grow bed to remove a clog.

So the pest issue is largely unavoidable? I'll have to check into spaying them down with something safe.

Pardon, I still have not done the chem test. I work 4 days hard then get 3 off and in my spare time I've been looking at the Black Friday Sales as I'm upgrading my video camera. :) But I got 3 days now to do that chem test.

What nitrate levels are too high for you? I have not checked out your AP system, do you have a blog or something I can check out?

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '17, 08:46 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yeah sure, my system is here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28311

Its only been going since last spring, so younger than yours, but similar quantity of fish. Atm i got some basil well established and some parsley and coriander, which I'm not sure will take yet tor not. I never even bought the API test kit, which I have regretted at times, but whenever I've wanted it I've been short on money! My thoughts on your issues are based on having spent a fair bit of time around this forum, and the info I've picked up over time, but it would be cool for someone else to chip in too lol!

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '17, 11:14 

UPDATE:

So I did a Nitrate Test today, its sitting at around 20ppm. I think the cause of higher nitrate levels were from the frogbit. I wish I had a tiny fan to blow air above the fish tank cover (a future expansion) to reduce splash from the water that made it plausible for mods to grow. That, and I think I feed my fish quite lean, so when the goldfish are hungry, they have a go at the frogbit roots for food making it harder for the plant to prosper.

Based off that, I don't think I'll be getting rid of any fish just yet. :)

I also sprayed the plants with water and this was coming off my sage plant...

Attachments:
redish stuff on sage after spraying water.jpg
redish stuff on sage after spraying water.jpg [ 903.51 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '17, 11:16 

danny wrote:
Yeah sure, my system is here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28311

Its only been going since last spring, so younger than yours, but similar quantity of fish. Atm i got some basil well established and some parsley and coriander, which I'm not sure will take yet tor not. I never even bought the API test kit, which I have regretted at times, but whenever I've wanted it I've been short on money! My thoughts on your issues are based on having spent a fair bit of time around this forum, and the info I've picked up over time, but it would be cool for someone else to chip in too lol!

Getting the API test kit is essential, but frustrating as well. Getting a clear accurate reading is really subjective. But what it will do is tell you if your approaching or in some sort of extreme.

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '17, 11:44 

Chrisklugh wrote:

Looks like the color of the water could be because of dust from the expanded clay or if you sprayed with iron earlier it could be picking up some of that.

PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '17, 10:35 

scotty435 wrote:
Chrisklugh wrote:

Looks like the color of the water could be because of dust from the expanded clay or if you sprayed with iron earlier it could be picking up some of that.

I'm not too sure, I normally don't spry my plants. I almost want to think it was there when I bought the plant, I hope its not something from the nursery. I add Iron to the system every now and then, but that's added in when I put more water in the system.

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '18, 18:00 

Been awhile since I've come here to update. Actually, i just had 3 fish die... Chemisty looks ok except the PH, its high at around 8.2. Over the winter I used tap water. Anyway, video for it:

VLog 21
https://youtu.be/lHKRQbiL72U

Vlog 22
https://youtu.be/9WEU2pXDMTM

My Nitrate levels are nill, and I've only been feeding them once a day, I'm thinking of making it 2 light meals, but overall increasing their diet a bit. Also, going to do water changes over the next week or 2 and if all seems better, Ill probably get another couple of goldfish to aid in the nitrate creation for the plants. I think they are lacking there as well.

But ANY feedback is more then welcome. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Apr 20th, '18, 12:43 

Nobodies got any feedback for me?

PostPosted: Apr 20th, '18, 20:34 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Hi Chris
I reread your thread again just now after you asked if any one has feedback, but didn't see where you had questions. Oh I see your questions are in the video. Green thumb I don't really have either. What type of light is that you are using? How warm does it get around the plants with the light on?
I'm looking at adding a florescent lamp to my low tech aquarium to try to help the dull plants liven up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-48-1x-HO-T5-Light-Bulb-6500K-10000K-Actinic-Pink/253351996109?var=552512690680&hash=item3afcf4aacd:m:ma7stYXhJ_NXe8K_sEV6mtQ
These are single bulb setups, but what I wanted to show you was the selection of lamps available for plants.
Brian

:?