All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skeg in the hills
PostPosted: Apr 27th, '14, 17:25 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: usually
Great work ! The transformation of your yard is amazing, imagine what you will be producing by next summer.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26475&p=527825&hilit=smaller+chilled+system#p527825

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 27th, '14, 21:10 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Ha Nat, all good, you should see me during roadside collections, not so bad now I don't have a ute though.
Always on the look out for bargains. :wink:

Hey Jay, blue tank is my auxiliary ft I've just installed, the sf is between that and the main tank. Moved about 15 sp's into it today, so far so good, they are much easier to catch than the rt's. Will see how they are tomorrow before I move the other 35 into their new home while I wait for the large ft gets vacated.
I've tried to take pics from the same positions as a sort of time lapse reference. I really need to move onto other neglected areas of the yard. I've spent too much time in this one area and it's now at a stage where I'm comfortable how it is for the moment, it just needs to start supplying more produce.

Thanks for the compliment rendang always welcome to keep my AP motivation.

Just about ready for the rt's on Saturday at the carpark sale at BYAP, or should I say at Cheidy AP? Get your orders in peeps the rainbows are coming to town. :thumbright:

PostPosted: May 9th, '14, 20:58 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Sooooo, now I've worked out this YouTube stuff, here's a quick vid of the fish feeding a couple of weeks ago in the big tank.

How many fish are there?

Trout are fun.
:D

PostPosted: May 11th, '14, 09:49 
In need of a life
In need of a life

:wave1:
No pics in this update as nothing has really changed. Blue barrels running and planted out with caulis and broccoli, ibc still dormant, waiting to get a reading of nitrates. I want to take the tomato's out but they're still fruiting so I'm hesitant to do so, I'm fairly confident they are responsible for the nil rates, I've added heaps of fish emulsion and wee but still nothing.
The sp's are eating broccoli leaves in the blue tank and have settled in fine, so that adds 50 fish to the big system to help with the fertilizing.
Thanks to troutman for the fish last week and JeffJL for picking them up for me, finished up buying 15 and TM threw in a runt too which in retrospect I should have put in with the sp's. The rt's were much bigger this year and there is one that chases the others. I didn't notice this kind of behaviour last year. They don't seem to be as ravenous either. Mind it could be because I'm used to the 6 of last years trout (see video above) of whom are demolishing the feed and as the weather cools are actually leaving the water in their feeding frenzy, most would be over a kilo and make quite a splash. They definitely take centre stage.
Oh well back to the paint. :cry:

PostPosted: May 11th, '14, 10:23 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: YES
So you can add Charlie carp when you have fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: May 11th, '14, 11:25 
In need of a life
In need of a life

jayendra wrote:
So you can add Charlie carp when you have fish?

Hiya Jay, I add it to the supply line and have done for months to try and get a rates reading and haven't had any issues, I try to check the water parameters weekly and never get amm, rites or rate readings, haven't had since a couple of months after cycling.
If I got a rate reading I wouldn't bother. I added 1/2 litre last week in one go and still nothing. :dontknow:
Presently I am stocking at 1 fish per 40l media or 1 fish per 70l ft water or 1 fish per 100l total water in the big system.
I don't know of any other way to introduce nitrates short of increasing the stocking levels but I like having a buffer zone fish wise.

PostPosted: May 11th, '14, 13:29 
A posting God
A posting God

Ahh cool so the supply line is after fish tank before grow beds?
I haven't had any nitrate readings through the whole of summer- will add some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: May 11th, '14, 13:59 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
You do have a nice little addiction going on there.

Do you have much more room for expansion once you get all the jobs around the house done?

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Jun 6th, '14, 20:43 

hello skeggley.
I plan exactly the same than you : to put underground 2 IBC 1000L tank. It will allows a temperature regulation for my system, I hope.
Can you give us some news about the tanks, 1 years after start?
can you give us some information regarding temperature of your system ?
Does trout be well in this temperature ? what is the climate in you country compare to France ?
Do you have some advice for me, before to hand digging ?
Many thanks.
Pascalou

PostPosted: Jun 7th, '14, 09:11 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Hiya Colum unfortunately all the jobs around the house are never ending and I always seem to go past the ap and get side tracked which puts the other jobs behind much to the annoyance of my partner. :whistle:
Yep I've got plenty of room for expansion, unfortunately... Stockpiling and planning.
Wicking beds are creeping into my to do list also.

Bonjour Pascalou. :wave:
Well the sump tanks, where do I start?
Firstly I should have put them in a different place as they are in full sun. I wanted the tanks accessible so I can isolate a tank for cleaning, pump access etc so dug the hole wider and deeper than I required, put in a frame, put some old doors on top for access, a sheet of rubber for waterproofing and some fake grass to tidy it up. I can move the drain from the gb's into either tank but generally have water draining into the first as a settling tank then equalising pressure through a 50mm pipe. The pump, Laguna 9000, probably pumping half that at the head height pumps more than the 50mm can move and the tank levels, when pump runs, differ by about 250mm. Needing a larger pump to move the head is a negative.
Temperature here in Perth Aus in summer time roughly 15 c to 40 c give or take and the tank area cooked, I finished up keeping the door lids ajar to let the heat and condensation out and putting a shade over it.
I wanted a sump big enough to cope with all the expansions I could throw at it and so far it's going ok.
As the heat load is in the gb's these dictated the water temps, the ft is under a tree and insulated and had the return water from the sump spraying onto shade cloth and hessian bags to lose the heat from the water, it worked but there were some worrying days, the low humidity and low night time temps were what saved me. Temp maxed out at 28 c one day and this should have killed the trout, indeed one looked poorly and was eaten but the others pulled through and are still there now eating and playing, mind you my supplier, Troutman, does breed some tough ass trout.
I think it is all about water volume, the more water the better. Messing around trying different things like constant flow at night time was a good learning experience at system temperature control.
All in all it's worked out well a year on I'm happy with the design. I will not try to keep trout through summer again with the system as is, I have my eye on a little cooling tower that if I can get it for the right price will try again but until then will stick with warm water fish and utilise the underground sump heating and only grow trout in winter.
Hope this helps.

Another boring monthly update coming soon. :sleepy2:

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '14, 21:20 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Hiya fellow AP fans hope alls well.
Time for my monthly update.
The new bb beds are ticking along planted with broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and onions. Interestingly the bb which has half a milk crate void at the bottom (nearest to camera) is the best performer so far as you can see.
The trout are working their way through the feed. The flings are onto 5mm pellets already and are growing quickly and the other beasts are still putting on quite a show at feed o'clock watering the surrounding flora. They seem to be adding more girth than length, looks like fillets are on the cards but I'll definitely be needing a bigger net...
The sp's are quietly surviving the winter eating last winters broccoli and this summers super dooper salty celery (I wonder if I can use my refractometer to test the salt content?), with the occasional worm of three.
Still no booming growth plant wise. :cry: The tomato plants need to come up, just waiting on the existing fruit to ripen. Hopefully once they are gone I might start to get some rate readings.
Planted some bok and pak choi to keep the veggies turning over. Plenty of seedlings popping up in all the beds, no idea of what's what... Planted heaps of garlic which seems to be going ok. Spinach and silver beet/chard is still growing but nothing like what I'm used to compared to soil grown. I'm guessing the minerals are still building in the beds due to my stocking levels. I still have leeks from last winter, mainly the runt ones, and they aren't seeming to grow so I'm thinking they aren't going to reach the size I'm expecting but I'm not going to rip them up just yet as I can already see too much media. :wink:
I've noticed the media levels have dropped heaps due to the beds settling and need to add more media in all just not sure how to add it without upsetting the existing plants. Think I might try blue metal in my next gb expansion for something different.
Next expansion 100mm PVC tubes and net pots so looking through threads getting ideas and advice. Can I run them f&d?
Still working through the other chores and dithering around the patch which seems to have some sort of magnetic type pull to it as I keep ending back at the AP. :whistle:
Cabbage b/flys and the cursed diamond backs are starting to turn up so dipel is back in the spray bottle.
Should probably uncover the sump tanks and clean the sediment off the bottom of each now the rains have begun. Hopefully I can open the ibc drain to do this.
I've still yet to add a top up tank and am tossing up between using an ibc or a bb, I have the plumbing required for either. I'm sort of swinging towards the bb to keep the ibc for another gb/system but am worried about volume.
Not much else to write so till next time.
:wave:

Attachments:
File comment: Nats corner.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 125.37 KiB | Viewed 2725 times ]
File comment: Ap stock pile.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 137.89 KiB | Viewed 2725 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '14, 10:15 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: sorta
Looking great mate always adding hey , I can't help but want to add more beds to mine allready

Money can't buy happiness but it sure buys things that make me happy ,,
cheeers HEZZY

PostPosted: Jun 28th, '14, 10:01 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Hiya Hezzy, thanks for the compliment, adding gb's is a common symptom of ap addiction and knowing to expect it helps in the original build when sizing pipe work and water storage volume.

I squeezed juice from the celery and got these results with salinity;
System 1 6ppt celery 42ppt.
System 2 2ppt celery 26ppt.
Both celerys are growing well And we can definitely taste the difference and prefer sys 2.

Not sure what shop bought celery is and I refuse to buy it.

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '14, 20:36 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Hello all, it's July already!
It seems winter agrees with the system as we're seeing some good growth and have added side by side pics for comparison. Looking back through the thread the 1st set up kicked off this time last year too, should be interesting how it goes the upcoming summer with decent fish numbers and a year under its belt.
We've been eating beetroot, lettuce, celery and the occasional cherry tomato and have heaps of brassicas on the way.
All the fish are going well and have added a pic of my first AP fish still swimming eating and growing for reference.
:wave:

Attachments:
File comment: Bb and gb1 - 1 month comparison
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 156.11 KiB | Viewed 2625 times ]
File comment: Gb2 and gb3 - 1 month comparison
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 163.65 KiB | Viewed 2625 times ]
File comment: Rainbow trout.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 92.45 KiB | Viewed 2625 times ]

PostPosted: Aug 10th, '14, 19:42 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Monthly update
:wave1:
Hello people.
Spring.
The system has been going well, looking after itself short of the daily fueling the engine. All fish going well, rt's eating me out of house and home and the sp's starting to munch on pellets again which is great 'cos they've only been grazing on celery and broccoli leaves over winter.
Seeded broc in gb1 showing better performance than the nursery bought punnets in the bb both planted roughly the same time. Beetroot not bulking up and overgrown radishes running amok. Garlic not looking great with some black aphid looking creatures trying to spoil the party.
Planted a different kale in gb2 adding to the Jurassic feel with the towering Tuscan kale. Silver beet growing slowly, capsicums from last summer surviving only. Shallots thriving. I've taken a leaf out of Ryan's book and added bok choi as a sacrificial, luring pests away from the other plants, I'll be keeping seeds from the most pest attacked plant for next year, you can see the plants around have minimum pest damage. Baby slugs galore in this bed slowly finding the beer and plant baits.
Gb3, salad bar, self seeded lettuce and celery providing salad with rocket, I think, and some other plant I'm assuming is a salad green and we are throwing it in the salads too. Whatever it is.
Bb's ticking along with plenty of broccoli heading up, a few onions and yet to head up caulis, nothing flash though, same with the ibc Brussels growing but not excelling, may have been sown too late in the season.
Def see the difference growth wise between these bb's and the more mature beds. Dedicating the old tomato beds to strawberries.
Hanging out to get the spare bed into the system and a net cup and pipe also but still contemplating layout configuration. Really need to look into some summer shading too. Wicking beds... Stupid hobby. :evil:
So all in all going well, providing nice organic veggies and salads and water works daily. Looking forward to some smoked trout again.
I s'pose all that's left are the obligatory photos. :wink:

Attachments:
File comment: Gb1
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 135.77 KiB | Viewed 2525 times ]
File comment: Gb2
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 146.38 KiB | Viewed 2525 times ]
File comment: Gb3
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 120.26 KiB | Viewed 2525 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next