All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skeg in the hills
PostPosted: Oct 8th, '13, 20:26 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Ok so everything has grown however not as much as I was expecting. The leeks are growing the best and will need culling soon, but man cannot live on leek alone.
I'm running the system on cf for a few days as the water is not very clear at all, I put a filter bag over the outlet in the ft and I think the culprit is the clay here. The water parameters are good but I seem to be missing a test tube (UJ?). Thinking of bringing the filter back on line too to help with the water clarity. The fish are still eating but not with aggression and I'd like to start upping their feed to beef them up before the heat kicks in so I've been feeding them worms which seems to give them a bit of a kick start with the pellets, the tank is at 18c now. Looking to smoke a couple this weekend so I'll be getting the fishing line out soon.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 9th, '13, 11:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Some people disagree
It is not missing. The fish have it. Lesson - Don't leave the test tubes on the cover when there is some food on the water surface.

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '13, 21:03 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Remodelling in preparation for silvers and clearing room for more gb's. :D
Large sys temps not going over 17 C so expecting trout to be comfortable for at least another month so...
Original Gb moved to over 100l ft. Removed media from gb to move, lots of roots and some humongous worms and bugger all solids build up in 7 months from twenty odd trout.
1/4 ibc and 2 half bb's to go in the large system before my ap build finishes and I can start to beautify the area, finally an end is in sight. :think:

Attachments:
File comment: Spot the difference.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 119.69 KiB | Viewed 3592 times ]
File comment: First system relocated.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 118.1 KiB | Viewed 3592 times ]

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '13, 19:19 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Hiya peeps, quick update.
Finally warming...then rain...then warming...then rain...
Highest temp in tank so far was 18c so all good for the trout. Picking up some sp's at BYAP this weekend from Troutman and I have the small system all ready for its new occupants, I've been mixing the tank waters and all has settled from the gb move, water parameters all good but still struggling with low ph might need to supplement with some lime.
Having moth problems at mo thinking they are diamond back moths and they love kale, broccoli and artichoke... I've sprayed dipel and a light neem to try to cull the numbers. They don't seem to do much damage but who knows.
Threw a line in and caught a couple of fish today but one was less than 300mm so chucked it back for another day, the second better but not as big as I'd hoped, good never the less. Marinating for smoking tomorrow. :)
You can see the expansion slowly progressing but need some more veggie growth from the existing beds to justify it I've only ever added 500ml seaweedsol and 500ml Charles carp and 20ish trout and have lots of yellowing leaves and little plants but it's still a young system so I think its still building up the trace elements if it's still a problem in 6 months then I'll complain. :D
That's all.

Attachments:
File comment: Largest so far.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 104.18 KiB | Viewed 3544 times ]
File comment: Progress.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 117.87 KiB | Viewed 3544 times ]
File comment: Reverse angle
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 112.76 KiB | Viewed 3544 times ]

PostPosted: Oct 24th, '13, 20:31 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Not impressed with the plant growth yet..
Silvers on Saturday. Tripling my fish stocks, probably still under stocked, may be the reason for the growth problem.
Hungry trout. They have been eating the 7mm pellets from BYAP for the past 5 kgs yet trout flesh isn't orange any reasons?
Over the diamond back moths... Remedies?
Heard this little fella last few nights, maybe he/she can help with the moths?

Attachments:
File comment: Look who showed up tonite.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 66.67 KiB | Viewed 3517 times ]

PostPosted: Oct 27th, '13, 10:18 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Quote:
Not impressed with the plant growth yet..

Famous last words...
With the weather warming up, the plants are finally starting to grow, still have diamond back moths in plague and am countering with dipel, more lettuce and rockmelon seedlings added yesterday picked up dwarf peach and nectarine trees from the bargain bin at half price too, wicking pots on the menu...
Tank temps 21 in the arvo, 19 in the morning, trout for lunch, if we can catch them, usually a lot harder when trying to show off to friends. :)
50 sp fingerlings added to the fingerling tank yesterday powering the old new bed...

Attachments:
File comment: 2 weeks ago.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 145.61 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]
File comment: Today
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 158.52 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 5th, '13, 22:49 
In need of a life
In need of a life

G'day peeps, tank is warming up, 25 yesterday I'm trying different things to keep the temps down and am smashing in the air and the trout are still eating. Took the lid off on the weekend and was surprised at the size of the fish, all except Stumpy of course, and have started to fish for them which is quite fun and not as easy as I'd imagined. Lost a couple of hooks :oops: and caught a tree too... And a slo...The big ones keep getting away, not sure what hook to use and have tried different ones with different outcomes suggestions anyone? Biggest so far was 560 gms which was quite a buzz at the time. Not sure how else to harvest the fish before tank temps hit lethal levels.
The sp fingerlings are happily munching on the tank walls keeping the algae in check in the fingerling tank eating pellets in the afternoon when I feed them. Certainly different to the trout but still pretty cool just not as full on.
Plant wise is a bit of a let down, the lettuce is growing well but all the rest isn't very impressive. Even the silver beet is struggling, pale, small and leathery. The moths have been running amok and I've been countering with dipel, still seeing plenty of little caterpillars and moths. I put a bug zapper out for a couple of nights and after 5 mins there was a smell of burning hair in the air and continued all night the pile of dead and winged moths in the morning was amazing, easily a cup full each night. I had a 5 mm screen around it so only the tiddlers got to "Go to the light.". Strawberries are doing ok too I s'pose bugger all seeds have come up from the hundreds sown, just a couple of corn seedlings, I've raised the flood level from 40mm to 20mm to see if it makes a difference.
The filter is back on line with a hastily made cone bottom made from a circular cutout of 2mm hdpe sheet split to the centre, overlapped and riveted together wedged into the drum tightly. Water can still get behind it but the bulk of the solids are trapped in the v. I'm thinking about mineralising the waste and feeding it back to the system to try and encourage more veggie growth.
Haven't got the last couple of gb's set up yet as my enthusiasm is waning due to the lack of growth if it wasn't for the fish... The reason I never tried my hand at hydro.
That pretty much sums it up post last post.
Till next update :wave: catch ya.

Attachments:
File comment: May 13
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 117.28 KiB | Viewed 3450 times ]
File comment: Today
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 121.67 KiB | Viewed 3450 times ]
File comment: 2nd bed
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 122.47 KiB | Viewed 3450 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '13, 08:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Whenever I put seeds in my grow bed, I water from above with watering can for a few days at least.

Dr Bee

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10254

PostPosted: Nov 8th, '13, 06:45 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Thanks for the tip Dr B, I've raised the flood height and will try hand watering also.
On a side note, my eBay cheapie carked it yesterday.... Curse my lack of back up plan....fortunately, due to my ultra conservative stocking numbers, all fish still happy. I've added air to the f/ling tank whilst I wait for a new pump to magically appear on the front doorstep...
Trout thinning on the weekend.

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '13, 19:19 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Ok, so we've all had a fish today and we couldn't pull the slime over their eyes, I think they are onto us... The weather is warming up and the water be too. How to catch these rascals???
The young fella was more patient and finally caught one :cheers:
Albeit the smallest... Poor stumpy.
:sad5:
We'll have another go tomorrow morning, not so easy finding the bait now the ground is drying out though..
Might have a look at nets in camping stores tomorrow, I know, cheating, but times running out.

Attachments:
File comment: RIP Stumpy.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 121.22 KiB | Viewed 3385 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '13, 19:31 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
try some corn it works ok looking good m8 i just put sp in mine

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '13, 19:40 

Thats a strange looking trout hehe

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '13, 19:47 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Thanks Frank, I'll give it a shot, I saw fish gills used on the forum but I've had no luck with them, only worms have worked so far.
Sure is different Charlie, tasted the same though :D it's backbone was wavy thickened and fused in places, stood out from the first day, when I named him, or her, it used to always swim either in the lead or beneath the largest ones, quite a character, I'll sure miss the little guy...

PostPosted: Nov 10th, '13, 20:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: homo aquaponicus
Hi Skeggley

I have given up growing any brassicas in summer in Perth due to diamond back moths. Dippel don't seem to control them. They tend to be seasonal and associated with summer.

"The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad"

PostPosted: Nov 10th, '13, 20:32 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Ok thanks Gabe, I was sort of hoping to get some seeds for winter but I'll remove them and give those moths their marching orders, looks like more seedlings on the cards, I really need to get some seeds starting.
Couple more from the smoker this morn, can't seem to hook the big ones yet but my odds are improving.
Oh and my back up pump failed today and tripped the shed breaker, didn't think I'd need a back up back up. Oh well only air for a few days in the fling tank.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 104.53 KiB | Viewed 3352 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next