All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 17th, '14, 04:58 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: YES
Looking good :)

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 17th, '14, 08:44 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
jayendra wrote:
Looking good :)

Thanks Jayendra, I'm still amazed at the productivity of such a small footprint.

PostPosted: May 19th, '14, 17:18 

savarin wrote:
After eating the last of the veggies in one of the barrels I decided to wash the sand out.
Attachment:
clean-gravel.jpg

This bed was washed pretty well when I first started with the pressure hose so I thought it would be ok.
This is the load of sand from that one barrel.
Attachment:
barrow-of-sand.jpg

There were no anaerobic areas but I know there is more sand in some of the other barrels.
It was washed a bit at a time in the wheelbarrow full of water with a sieve as put forward by another member and was rather back breaking, just another seven to do.

Definitely hard work. I didn't wash mine though. :shifty:

PostPosted: May 21st, '14, 07:15 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

JJ.au wrote:

Definitely hard work. I didn't wash mine though. :shifty:

I'm still unsure if was really required although now when digging through it to plant at least your hands remain clean instead of being smothered in sand/grit. :D
Cleaning the new bed beforehand has definitely made a difference in that only an ultra fine sand/dust layer settled in the sump barely 1/2 a mm in a couple of areas whereas the barrels have at least a 5-10 mm layer in their bottoms.

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '14, 08:58 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

The radial filter in the blue barrel takes out a heap of muck but opening the bottom tap only pulls a tiny fraction of the total muck layer in the bottom so I made a cone of thin plastic to fit in the bottom third.
I also added a flat plate at the top of the water inlet pipe so the water flow spreads outwards towards the suspended inner large pipe. This has totally stopped all the circulation problems which were stirring the water.
Now all the muck falls down into the cone and all empties when the tap is turned on.
I also added another tap below the cone so the dead space water can also be replaced just in case.
I am finding I have to purge the filter morning and evening because it collects so much muck which is then spread onto the dirt garden.
What is very surprising is the smell, its very anaerobic in such a short space of time.
I'm now wondering what nutrients I am loosing from the grow beds. :dontknow:

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '14, 09:06 
A posting God
A posting God

I think the water that accumulates between the bottom corner and the cone might be the anaerobic spot.
Most designs I've seen use cement in this gap.

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '14, 09:46 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

jayendra wrote:
I think the water that accumulates between the bottom corner and the cone might be the anaerobic spot.
Most designs I've seen use cement in this gap.

Thats why I added another tap to replace this dead water. It doesnt smell when opened, only the fish poo in the bottom of the cone smells and damn quick at that.
I will keep all informed whatever happens.

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '14, 19:27 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I decided today to see how large the fish really were, I mean, they look big in the tank but we all know that's deceiving.
I used a pea with a hook and line and caught three within 25 seconds, maybe quicker even.
The first one was pretty plump at 285g
Attachment:
285g.jpg
285g.jpg [ 81.52 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]

The second one was a bit of a disappointment at 156g
Attachment:
150g.jpg
150g.jpg [ 74.61 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]

and the third was the largest at 318g
Attachment:
318g.jpg
318g.jpg [ 85.67 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '14, 19:36 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

The amount of fat in the body cavity was huge so maybe I have been over feeding and should cut down a tad.
I didnt purge them just cooked them very simply, dipped in flour, shallow fried in a tiny amount of oil then coated in butter - lemon and parsley
Attachment:
cooked.jpg
cooked.jpg [ 150.05 KiB | Viewed 4341 times ]

The flesh inside was soft and white and tasted very nice. No earthy flavours, not oily as I expected from others comments and the one fish was sufficient for the meal. Cant wait till we harvest some more.
Attachment:
fillets.jpg
fillets.jpg [ 150.25 KiB | Viewed 4341 times ]

A not very good photo of the fish in the tank.
Attachment:
fish2.jpg
fish2.jpg [ 51.1 KiB | Viewed 4341 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '14, 19:49 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
savarin wrote:
The radial filter in the blue barrel takes out a heap of muck but opening the bottom tap only pulls a tiny fraction of the total muck layer in the bottom so I made a cone of thin plastic to fit in the bottom third.
I also added a flat plate at the top of the water inlet pipe so the water flow spreads outwards towards the suspended inner large pipe. This has totally stopped all the circulation problems which were stirring the water.
Now all the muck falls down into the cone and all empties when the tap is turned on.
I also added another tap below the cone so the dead space water can also be replaced just in case.
I am finding I have to purge the filter morning and evening because it collects so much muck which is then spread onto the dirt garden.
What is very surprising is the smell, its very anaerobic in such a short space of time.

I take this gunk and run it in a barrel with a lot of air and a dash of EM1A,this changes the smell completely,after 48 hours i turn off the air and let it settle,the clear water is decanted back into the sump,then i fill the mineralisation tank again from the swirl,turn on the air and let this run for another 48 hours,once a week i then drain the remains from the mineralisation tank and start again.

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '14, 20:28 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

nice looking fish savarin, they certainly look well fed.

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '14, 15:29 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I decided that the smell from the muck in the radial filter was not good for the system (no facts here just a feeling) so have removed it.
Within 5 days I noticed a huge jump in the growth of my cress and mustard greens and tomatoes.
The parsley which up till now was growing ok has gone absolutely berserk.
I think I will leave the radial filter off.

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '14, 13:26 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Two more fish to eat.

Attachment:
two fish.jpg
two fish.jpg [ 61.29 KiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

one at 424 grams and the other at 333 grams.
They produced a 280 gram and a 220 gram prepared weight.

Attachment:
two fish2.jpg
two fish2.jpg [ 70.33 KiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

Guts were 148 grams combined and the body cavity fat weighed in at 117 grams combined.
I rendered the fat down as an experiment to produce an omega 3 oil and it produced a whopping 87 mls of pale orange oil with a very faint aroma of fried fish (not chip shop smell) and a nice taste, nothing like fish oil capsules. I think I will use the oil to cook them in.

Attachment:
oil.jpg
oil.jpg [ 42.26 KiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

In the fridge it solidifies to a fat. For those of you who freak out at the word "fat" the only difference between the two is a fat is an oil that is solid at room temperatures, or vice versa.
For some reason I forgot to take photos of the fats and guts.
I caught the fish on a hook and line and flipped them into a bucket of tank water with about 20 drops of clove oil, within approx 1-2 mins they stopped moving and by 3 mins floated belly up. I left them in the bucket for a further 10 mins whilst I got every thing together to prepare them.
I tippem them into the sink and washed them before cleaning.
Interestingly the larger fish just started to move slightly by the time I finished cleaning and gutting the smaller fish. I guess this means they would probably recover if placed back in the main tank.
The prepared fish does not appear to smell of clove oil but my hands do faintly.

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 01:03 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yes
dasboot wrote:
savarin wrote:

I take this gunk and run it in a barrel with a lot of air and a dash of EM1A,this changes the smell completely,after 48 hours i turn off the air and let it settle,the clear water is decanted back into the sump,then i fill the mineralisation tank again from the swirl,turn on the air and let this run for another 48 hours,once a week i then drain the remains from the mineralisation tank and start again.

Dasboot, what does EM1A stand for?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '14, 05:51 

Thats very interesting savarin

~Backyard farming~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next