All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Aug 18th, '18, 01:40 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Thanks JB, that was a wonderful story. I seem to recall those hammers with the ball bearing nail pullers.
I've got a dear desire for one of these saws I keep seeing saws in videos being used for dovetails and tenons. I'm putting it on my X-mas list.
Attachment:
Rockler-crosscut-saw.jpg
Rockler-crosscut-saw.jpg [ 73.25 KiB | Viewed 3306 times ]
:)
We're off to the city to get some tools and supplies for the projects at hand. I can't wait to get back and get in on these conversations. Thank you all

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 18th, '18, 22:08 
A posting God
A posting God

Nhibbo wrote:
Brian, any idea if the old glue on the maple top is casein glue?
I'll check it today, thanks.

Nhibbo wrote:
As a teenager, I used to fly sail planes and one old timer plane (from the 1930's) was damaged and needed parts of the wing disassembled to repair.
Now that must have been an exhilarating hobby. Are still into flying?

Nhibbo wrote:
It was casein glue so the guy who owned it, threw the wing in his swimming pool for a week to often the glue, pulled the wing apart and repaired and rebuilt it. Last I heard, the old thing was still flying in the 80's and might even be now. If you have a smaller section of the table already separated, why not test it out in your pond or even a trough somewhere.

You might find that your pine needles are a little bit acidic. Should work fine if you add some lime or dolomite to sweeten it.

I need to have soil tests done to know, but having busted rocks to make our FT I can say with certainty we're sitting on solid limestone, so I always hoped the acidic pine needles might balance the alkaline in the limestone bed-rock. Now that you mention it I think it would be a good idea to get in touch with the County Extension Services https://www.usda.gov/topics/rural/cooperative-research-and-extension-services and get our soil tested from a few different places on this property. Oh wow, cool I found some information on soil test kits right away. https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs142p2_050956.pdf Okay I have some research to do.
Nhibbo wrote:
Looks like you're having lots of fun again, so enjoy (but try not to overdo it for a start).
Cheers and enjoy,

Norm

Thanks Norm

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '18, 22:09 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning!
Feeling good and tired this morning. I got new hiking boots two days ago and got to try them out yesterday.
Attachment:
Oboz-bridger.jpg
Oboz-bridger.jpg [ 73.72 KiB | Viewed 3217 times ]

https://obozfootwear.com/products/mens-bridger-low-bdry
Super nice! A great fit and feel right out of the box. I probably put two miles of rugged terrain hiking on them yesterday.
Attachment:
New-Oboz-hiking-boots-August-18-2018.jpg
New-Oboz-hiking-boots-August-18-2018.jpg [ 141.2 KiB | Viewed 3217 times ]

Wonderful hike, but exhausting.
I managed to pull it together and work in the shop for a while after the hike.
Attachment:
Wood-working-in-the-Hilltop-shop-maple-table-top-restoration-August-19th-2018.jpg
Wood-working-in-the-Hilltop-shop-maple-table-top-restoration-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 89.64 KiB | Viewed 3217 times ]

I tried out the new random orbital sander and glued two cracks in the maple table top. I'm happy with both. Of course I wish the table top didn't have so many cracks in it, but I think and hope it'll look okay.
Attachment:
Wood-working-in-the-Hilltop-shop-August-19th-2018.jpg
Wood-working-in-the-Hilltop-shop-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 80.07 KiB | Viewed 3217 times ]

I'm also sanding the oak top on an old workbench in the shop.
Attachment:
Wood-working-in-the-Hilltop-shop--workbench-August-19th-2018.jpg
Wood-working-in-the-Hilltop-shop--workbench-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 145.36 KiB | Viewed 3217 times ]

Meanwhile back in the aquaponics jungle things are looking pretty great if I don't say so myself:

Attachment:
Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-aquaponics-brook-trout-August-19th-2018.jpg
Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-aquaponics-brook-trout-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 147.8 KiB | Viewed 3217 times ]

I've decided to move the RFF back to where the original RFF is as I can't get the flow I hoped for with it up high like it is in the above image. I'll borrow a big hammer drill and make a hole in the masonry wall for the drain. It'll be nice to have access to that dirt bed in the corner. The two year old bell pepper plant back there just keeps on putting out beautiful peppers :D
Brian

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '18, 22:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Part two of my morning newsletter'
Attachment:
Wood-working-in-the-Hilltop-shop-aquarium-cabinet-August-19th-2018.jpg
Wood-working-in-the-Hilltop-shop-aquarium-cabinet-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 78.05 KiB | Viewed 3195 times ]

Back in the shop the aquarium cabinet is still a bunch of boards. I'll finish the maple table restoration before I get going on the cabinet. I'm learning a lot about woodworking every day from watching many Youtube videos, which I'm sure is boring my wife to tears, lol!
Attachment:
Flora-outside-the-Hilltop-shop-August-19th-2018.jpg
Flora-outside-the-Hilltop-shop-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 99.4 KiB | Viewed 3195 times ]

Attachment:
Lush-Flora-outside-the-Hilltop-shop-August-19th-2018.jpg
Lush-Flora-outside-the-Hilltop-shop-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 123.15 KiB | Viewed 3195 times ]

Attachment:
Huglekultur-berm-backyard-garden-Koi-pond-August-19th-2018.jpg
Huglekultur-berm-backyard-garden-Koi-pond-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 172.65 KiB | Viewed 3195 times ]

I've got the first layer of rotting logs and pine needles in the ditch dug for the first of many Hugelkultur berms around the yard and gardens.
Attachment:
Bonzai-peppers-backyard-garden-shop-August-19th-2018.jpg
Bonzai-peppers-backyard-garden-shop-August-19th-2018.jpg [ 164.33 KiB | Viewed 3195 times ]

Even though I stunted the seedlings I started in the greenhouse this Spring they are beginning to put out some fruit. Two plants say hot peppers on the label we made, but they are super mild. Next season I hope to have better luck transitioning plants from the greenhouse to the gardens. I blame fear of grasshoppers for the terrible start this year.
My latest epiphany because of this illness I'm going through is;
Everything I thought I knew about this disease was wrong, so why did I waste so much time thinking about that crap? No more, from here on out I'm spending my energy learning new things and enjoying doing the things I love, or might love once I learn about various subjects.
Alrighty then, I better get ready for another hike to make certain I love my new boots. That'll make the hounds happy too!
Brian

PostPosted: Aug 20th, '18, 09:59 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
You'll have those boots worn out in month if you keep hiking at you current rate :laughing3:

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Aug 20th, '18, 10:11 
A posting God
A posting God

joblow wrote:
You'll have those boots worn out in month if you keep hiking at you current rate :laughing3:
:laughing3: :dontknow: :laughing3:
With all this rain we're getting it was really nice on my hike to the river (creek) this morning to return home with dry feet.
I'm so glad after years of buying shoes and boots online to have a pair that fit properly.

PostPosted: Aug 22nd, '18, 16:48 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: 01111001 01100101 01
Loved seeing your AP system boss and impressed with your hiking. :wave1:

Envy that workshop. :roll:

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '18, 05:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Nice woodwork, I like that very much.

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '18, 22:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning
Thank you for the complements gentlemen.
Attachment:
Our-gang-of-Brook-trout-in-the-morning-Aug-2018.jpg
Our-gang-of-Brook-trout-in-the-morning-Aug-2018.jpg [ 111.87 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

Trout darkly, between the window that won't come clean and the minimal morning light, the picture sucks, I know, but the gang is doing really well and looking a little over-sized for the plate already.
Time to harvest for certain. I need to contact the hatchery and let them know I'll be coming for more fingerlings.
Attachment:
DWC-Kale-Basil-misc-Aug-2018.jpg
DWC-Kale-Basil-misc-Aug-2018.jpg [ 187.06 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

Attachment:
Red-chili-Pepper-Aug-2018.jpg
Red-chili-Pepper-Aug-2018.jpg [ 143.9 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

Everything is looking a little pale in the aquaponics greenhouse. Time for another dose of iron I guess. I think I'll do half the dose I did last time so I don't mess with the oxygen levels like last time. I'll look up what I dosed at last time and do long overdue water tests too.
Attachment:
Basil-and-peppers-upper-media-bed.jpg
Basil-and-peppers-upper-media-bed.jpg [ 137.7 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

I bought these a month ago at half price because it is so late in the season. I seem to be making growing more difficult than it needs to be by stunting my plants in tiny pots this season. At least there are a few peppers on the plants.
Attachment:
Garden-Salsa-chili-Aug-2018.jpg
Garden-Salsa-chili-Aug-2018.jpg [ 141.12 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

I'm still loving working with wood in the shop. Last night it was a joy to clean up compared to wrenching on vehicles; no grease only sawdust, yay!
Ye olde stereo works pretty good, I have the cover off and only need to whack every once and a while when one channel starts to rattle. I need to pull the mother board out and resolder the main amplifier chip, but it looks like I need to completely disassemble everything to get to the bottom of the circuit board :support:
Most of the day yesterday was dedicated to working on the soffet on the west side of the new addition.
Attachment:
Soffet-coming-along-August-23-2018.jpg
Soffet-coming-along-August-23-2018.jpg [ 139.18 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

One more short section of plywood underneath which I'll do today and I can get started installing the weeps and trim for the stucco.
In my spare time I really need to build a fence for my table saw. The JB Weld didn't hold and actually broke the first time I used it :support: I know, poor ol' Brian.
I love this one, but dang it, this is complicated!

I cut an angle on the top of the fascia boards so they would sit against the OSB decking on the roof. Three boards cut and I had to re-position the fence only twice, doh!
It's still raining pretty much every day or so. I think we must be under one of those stuck Jet Streams we're reading about.
Well I hope it lasts until Winter and we get five feet of snow at a time like we used to every once in a while.
Welp, that's my story this morning. I hope you all are doing well too.
Brian

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '18, 23:36 
Legend Member
Legend Member

We finally got some Southern winds, which brought rain.
I have been keeping an eye on the El Nino prediction. Its still at 60% for the fall and 70% for the winter.
We might actually get some snow this winter, so we can bitch about having to plow. :D

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '18, 01:57 
A posting God
A posting God

gnoib wrote:
We finally got some Southern winds, which brought rain.
I have been keeping an eye on the El Nino prediction. Its still at 60% for the fall and 70% for the winter.
We might actually get some snow this winter, so we can bitch about having to plow. :D

Oh man that would be so nice and we don't even have a working plow :laughing3:

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '18, 04:43 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
Gee those Brook-Trout are looking good Brian, they're nice big fish. This year my Rainbow Trout look like they'll get to a good size before the weather gets too hot and they have to be harvested, not as large as your guys though.

Being indoors you would have a longer growing season than we have here where our temperatures get over 40 Celsius - 104 Fahrenheit. :upset:

Last year we had 3 consecutive nights when the overnight temperature was over 30 Celsius, it makes it very hard to keep the water cool enough for Trout in those conditions without a chiller.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '18, 21:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Oh man I hear that. This year was the first time since I've been here (1972) that we saw 98°F 37°C in the shade here in the high mountains of New Mexico! Scary stuff. Gardening is going to get even more difficult than it was before, all the more reason to get more greenhouse area where we can moderate the ambient temperatures.
We have family here now and over the weekend so I got up cleaned the sink area and stuck a fish net in after throwing feed in the FT.
Attachment:
Brook-trout-ready-to-clean-Aug-2018.jpg
Brook-trout-ready-to-clean-Aug-2018.jpg [ 185.43 KiB | Viewed 3106 times ]

One net full! :D
Now I need some coffee and then I'll go clean these guys and get them soaking in salt for a couple hours. Then their off to the smoker, smiles!

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '18, 21:42 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Man they look good.
Yes the temps were something this year. Nearly 3 month with temps around 35C, very unusual.

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '18, 22:08 
A posting God
A posting God

Alrighty then!
Got them soaking.
Attachment:
Smoker-recipe-trout.jpg
Smoker-recipe-trout.jpg [ 130.04 KiB | Viewed 3065 times ]

I didn't weigh them, maybe after they soak, but a couple a huge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 185  Next