All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Sep 27th, '18, 13:51 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
joblow wrote:
That Antique Monkey Wrench is a little beauty, I have a full set of Stillsons, in about the same condition as the one in the bottom of your photo.

I'm going to write about what I think gives me great joy in handling these old tools. I believe they represent a time when craftsmanship was prized over profit that we often see nowadays.
joblow wrote:

How true :thumbright:

I'm still coming across old tools in the garage that I bought years ago, I'm clearing a bit of space work and keep finding old tools. Cleaning up is like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic, it doesn't get thrown out, just moved to another spot. :support:

Hehe yes, living on a large piece of property we have room for several levels of junkyard qualities. Discarded items first find their way to a semi-trailer for a period of time, or until the path is completely obstructed, then if there still seems to be value it heads to vehicles with large boxes such as my collection of diesel Izuzu Troopers. If that stuff doesn't get recycled after five years it gets put outside for another few years before going all the way to the bottom of an arroyo. I found the steel I need to rebuild the tablesaw fence on the edge of the arroyo where it was waiting for one last reprieve, yay!
Brian[/quote]

I've quite often thrown stuff out, only the find I need it a few weeks later, so I tend to hang onto more stuff than I throw out these days.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 28th, '18, 03:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Yes a junk yard is unsightly, but comes in handy for upcycling.
Playing in this dirt this morning working on the Hugle bed by the Koi spa:
Attachment:
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-in-forest-above-rock-and-brush-dam-9-27-18-.jpg
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-in-forest-above-rock-and-brush-dam-9-27-18-.jpg [ 227.83 KiB | Viewed 3573 times ]

I found some pretty great looking soil in the forest that I layered on the hugelkultur https://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/many-benefits-hugelkultur Oh darn I spelled it wrong in the filenames.
Oh well.
Attachment:
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-in-forest-from-porch-9-27-18-.jpg
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-in-forest-from-porch-9-27-18-.jpg [ 180.83 KiB | Viewed 3573 times ]

I turned over the compost pile in the middle of the project so I could add some fresh compost to the Hugel.
Attachment:
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-getting-ready-to-turn-compost-pile-9-27-18.jpg
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-getting-ready-to-turn-compost-pile-9-27-18.jpg [ 202.54 KiB | Viewed 3573 times ]

Turn it over every four or five days they say. :support:
Attachment:
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-Compost-pile-moved-9-27-18.jpg
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-Compost-pile-moved-9-27-18.jpg [ 194.4 KiB | Viewed 3573 times ]

This little trailer load of soil is from the forest a 1000 yards from our house. It was nice and soft to dig and it held together with grass roots. The first image shows the texture. What do you think of this soil? It's my intention to build up several layers of rotting logs, compost from the nearby pile, loamy sandy soil from above a rock and brush dam, more compost and repeat. Am I missing anything? My hope is at this stage that by Winter I'll have the Hugel four or five feet tall, four feet wide and 10 feet long.
Attachment:
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-forest-final-layer-this-day-above-9-27-18.jpg
Hugle-progress-soil-collected-forest-final-layer-this-day-above-9-27-18.jpg [ 207.73 KiB | Viewed 3573 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 28th, '18, 21:48 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Look at this link

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=epac&fdays=2

Rain on the way :D

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '18, 06:58 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
Brian, I have just removed a pair of 50' plus trees and a couple of smaller ones to make room for my greenhouse. I have also been thinking about hugelkultur with the smaller logs/branches, but so far the GH is priority. Yours looks like it is going to be a beaut. Would it generate enough heat to keep working over winter? Have you considered adding some biochar as well? There are some really good vids on making biochar sustainably from a large and a small drum.
Joblow, that plane of yours looks like a Turner. I bought mine in '60 or '61. It has the beautiful red resin handles. My brother came over a while back to borrow it and I noticed it was looking a bit neglected, so I honed the blade, and gave it a decent clean up. Looks like yours is due for the some TLC too lOL.

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '18, 07:48 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Nhibbo wrote:
Joblow, that plane of yours looks like a Turner. I bought mine in '60 or '61. It has the beautiful red resin handles. My brother came over a while back to borrow it and I noticed it was looking a bit neglected, so I honed the blade, and gave it a decent clean up. Looks like yours is due for the some TLC too lOL.

Nhibbo it's a Stanley, the Apprenticeship Commission recommended Stanley tools back in 50's & 60's, I think you could buy your Stanley tools through the Apprenticeship Commission at a discounted price in those days.

I think you either bought direct through the Apprenticeship Commission or they gave you a voucher to purchase from a Stanley dealer, I don't remember exactly how it was done, but I do remember the tools were discounted.

I started my apprenticeship and bought my tool kit in 1957 at the age of 14, and then won a few tools as runner up to the trade Apprentice of the year for the first 3 years of my apprentiship.

Then I was awarded the Trade Apprentice of the year in my fourth year, that year the runner up won a full carpenter's tool kit, not just a few tools like it had been in the previous years, but a very expensive kit of tools, and all I received was a Certificate of Merit and I was right pissed off.

They told the me that the Certificate of Merit would be worth far more to me in the long run than the tool kit, and it did help me find employment, I'd just faxed the certificate to an employer and it got me the job each time I faxed it.

You're right on it needing some TLC, I usually hone it and give it a bit of of TLC whenever I use it, you can see it hasn't been used in quite a while :laughing3:

My Fish:

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '18, 08:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

"I was right pissed off"

Yes Joblow I can imagine and I would have been too. I'm about 10 years younger than you but I loved carpentry as a small kid (and still do). I asked my grandfather for a saw, a hammer and a plane for each birthday from about 6 on. I got my plane when I turned 8 or 9. My working life was mostly as a high school physics teacher, so I never did an apprenticeship, but have always loved building things with my hands. My father ran an auto repair shop, so messing with cars was a big part of my teenage years as well. (I loved Valiant S series and had 3 of them at different times). Fortunately, I grew out of that phase by mid 20's LOL.
As for App. Board recommendations, I can't help but wonder now if they got kickbacks from Stanley, but probably just my suspicious mind at work.
Boss, I love reading your posts so please keep 'em coming.

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '18, 09:46 
In need of a life
In need of a life

I'm sure there were a few kickbacks, Im not sure about the Apprenticeship Commission, they did place all the apprentices in one factory when the Credit Squeeze hit in the 60's, and that was a bit underhanded.

It was all a bit suss, we all finished up working in the same factory that was a total sweat shop, and the bastrards wouldn't sign off on my apprenticeship papers when I'd completed my 5 years, they said I owed them another 6 months, so I left and did a deal with the Apprenticeship Commission that I would serve another 3 months as an apprentice working for another company before the Apprenticeship Commission would give me my papers.

There was certainly deals done with the companies who donated awards for the apprentices, you would have to vist their factory and go to functions with the company, all something that I hated.

My Fish:

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '18, 09:57 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Damn. Good on you Joblow.

Like that old saying,"The more things change, the more they stay the same"

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '18, 17:18 
In need of a life
In need of a life

:thumbright:

My Fish:

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '18, 21:33 
A posting God
A posting God

Indeed the more things change the more they stay the same.

I wish the USA would focus again on trade schools. They really seem to have fallen by the wayside. We suffer because of runaway capitalism here. The cynic in me says it's going to get worse before it gets better. I just wish the politicians would think about us as much as they do their donors. Oh well.

I've enjoyed getting to know you guys so much. Thank you for sharing. This is dad's plane still sitting here o my desk waiting for me to deal with decades of miss-sharpening the blades. I saw on of Ann's videos she said they make better blades nowadays and they are thicker and thus more stable, but I hadn't found a source.
Attachment:
Dads-jack-plane.jpg
Dads-jack-plane.jpg [ 151.74 KiB | Viewed 3342 times ]

I don't see a brand name on it. Perhaps it's on the mechanism which is with the blade waiting fro me to sharpen. It's all got to wait until we finish the stucco project. We're planning the second run for next weekend. I gotta get more help this time as it took half the week to recover form the last run, lol.
This is my newsletter this morning
It was a good day in my book.
I managed two trips back into the forest and any day in the forest for is a good day. I went to two different place to collect pine needles and oak leaves.
I don't know if oak leaves are good fodder for mulch, but I thought it'd be a good thing to mix in some deciduous leaves with the pine needles.
Plus the layer covering the ground under the oak and pine stands is the thickest making quick work to remove a big fork full.
I hope being Fall pine trees will cover the bare ground quickly with needles as I don'r mean to harm the life beneath the trees too much.
In the same light, as I place the large sheaf of needles on the garden I try not to flip it and instead keep it facing the same way it came up as I lay it in the garden and tuck it in around the plants.
Inevitably, some of the mycelium (hyphae) winds up on top of the needles so after I was finished I sprayed the mulch with well water from the garden hose.
I don't know if that helped or not but I was trying to sink and settle in the beautiful mulch blessing created by Mother Nature. Thank you earth!
I do get excited about the studies I have undertaken over the years, like the current aquaponics system that gave me hope went the drought was so bad here in New Mexico. Nothing like having a water hole in the house to stave off panic of forest fires. Before that was biodiesel processing, and before that homemade wind turbine power, and even further back before the Internet I was a car modder, swapping engines and all sorts of components from one brand of vehicle to different to keep our fleet of junkers on the road and safe.
I'm just saying this because I feel like permaculture is the apex of all the things that interested my during my 60 plus years on this Earth.I have a planted fish tank in our living room and was about to go all in and learn about aquascaping with CO2 and micro and macro dosing fertilizers which would have used up an unbelievable amount of my time and energy if I had followed through. Just in time I came back to permaculture, I'd been registered user here for a number of years, but hadn't really read much, then blammo something clicked and I'm awakened.
There is abundance of nutrients in the earth, if only we stop tilling and begin the process of soil regeneration. I don't need to spend a bunch of time learning what specific nutrients a plant needs in a void of nutrients, doh! The soil in our yard can be made to have every thing a plant needs if we mimic nature and not fight it. I love the direction this is going.
I can't wait for the next day and the next season to see what happens now that i'm on the same team as nature.
Here is how yesterday and I brought our yard forward.
See ya in the funny papers
Brian
Forest-mulch-transplant-project-Sample-soil-September-2018.jpg
Forest-mulch-transplant-project-second-trailer-same-day-September-2018.jpg
Forest-mulch-transplant-project-second-half-garden-September-2018.jpg
Forest-mulch-transplant-project-second-half-garden-Hops-Gladiolas-September-2018.jpg
Forest-mulch-transplant-project-Sample-soil-Pine-needles-Oak-leaves-September-2018.jpg

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '18, 22:08 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning
We've been busy kicking names and taking asses.
Here is Saturday:
Attachment:
Giagantic-logs-set-to-divert-arroyo-away-from-driveway-Sept-2018.jpg
Giagantic-logs-set-to-divert-arroyo-away-from-driveway-Sept-2018.jpg [ 179.39 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]

Sunday Nell and I did a deep cleaning on the kitchen moving the stove and refrigerator cleaning the floor and walls behind those, well yuck. It's always shocking what is back there, but it is shinning now.
This morning after not feeding the trout for two days I netted ~20 fatties
Attachment:
Trout-harvest-20-beautiful-fish-October-1st-2018-dual-sink.jpg
Trout-harvest-20-beautiful-fish-October-1st-2018-dual-sink.jpg [ 156.25 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]

Attachment:
Trout-harvest-20-beautiful-fish-October-1st-2018b.jpg
Trout-harvest-20-beautiful-fish-October-1st-2018b.jpg [ 154.94 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]

Attachment:
Trout-harvest-20-beautiful-fish-October-1st-2018a.jpg
Trout-harvest-20-beautiful-fish-October-1st-2018a.jpg [ 152.51 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]

Attachment:
Trout-harvest-20-beautiful-fish-October-1st-2018.jpg
Trout-harvest-20-beautiful-fish-October-1st-2018.jpg [ 161.31 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]

It's hard to say, but I'll guess there are 30 trout still in there. We're nearly out of food so I want to harvest them all in the next few days. Time to clear out the freezer, boy howdy!

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '18, 22:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Most of the time
Looks good Brian
A few feeds there & they should taste good too.
What was the average size & weight ?

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '18, 22:28 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks GTK. I'll go grab the digital scale and weigh them as I clean them. Tape measure says most are ~ 12 inches or 30 centimeters.
Brian

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '18, 23:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Looks like they average 1 pound or 454 grams. I'm a little further than halfway through cleaning them. With all the manual labor over the last week my back and hip are giving me a fair amount of pain. I'm soaking the cleaned fish in heavy salt water as the Bradley smoker forum suggests as a pre-smoke soak. I don't know how to filet fish, but perhaps now would be a good time to learn.
Brian

PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '18, 05:18 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Trout filet is done a bit different than any other fish I've filleted. I get them first then you can see their rib cages, I cut the heads off then slowly work a knife in behind their rib cages and slowly cut the meat off of the ribs down their whole length. Taking it slow you manage to filet them and not leave many if any bones behind to deal with.

I'm loving the trout pictures, I am probably heading down for trout in the next two weeks because we are about out which isn't bad considering it was two winter's ago that I raised them.

The stucco is looking fantastic already. Nice work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 185  Next