All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: 3B Dreams
PostPosted: Apr 16th, '15, 09:28 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If the temps >-40
Soooo I have a hole now....after looking at all the posts showing people digging I chickened out and brought in the big shovel. No flooding in the hole yet...so that's a win. So now what's next?....

Attachments:
File comment: Got a digger
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 44.83 KiB | Viewed 3364 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 16th, '15, 12:13 

Are you human?: YES
Here are a couple of other greenhouses that might give you some additional ideas. I think ZsaZsa's has the best layout for a really cold climate but you might find something useful in one of these other threads also.

DecalsbyJT has a lean to greenhouse if you haven't noticed his - http://byap.backyardmagazines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259&hilit=thanks%2Fforum&sid=f46114be3aa00cb1f5446f12f5b93857

Jason (jwnova99) has a stand alone solar greenhouse that's more of the super duper model - http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21897&start=0

PostPosted: Apr 16th, '15, 19:55 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks Scotty! Yes if I had only known JT when I was stationed in NC...ugh! Right on my doorstep. I have been on JT's site but not the other one you posted.
Now Jason's greenhouse; wow! Will be headed back there today to read that one.
I'm reading up on buried sumps (with or without cages), and sump insulation right now. Many people leave sumps open under growbeds which makes me think debris would get in. Others bury them completely and don't have any issues. I'm Not sure if the open is just because they are using cut IBC's or ??

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '15, 04:18 

Glad those helped. Let me know if you have questions. FYI - You might reach either of these guys by posting to their thread and I think Jason is probably a member of the Yahoo simplysolar group (not sure how active he is since I haven't been over there much the past year).

PostPosted: Apr 19th, '15, 07:27 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Evidently if you start to bury a IBC it is Qualifies as a rain dance. So much for our drought conditions.

PostPosted: Apr 19th, '15, 14:36 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

If you have the use of an excavator, check out a walapini (I think that is how they are spelt. )

I saw one a few months ago, and though it would be a great idea if i have a North facing hill (or south facing up in the northern hemisphere.

PostPosted: Apr 19th, '15, 23:01 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yes Walapini are amazing. If and when we relocate to higher ground that will be the next step. The only south facing hill we have is across a creek that floods so if I built there now it's a 2.5 mile drive around to get to it once the water is up. Ok when we have snow and ice but the spring would be a pita... I am digging my lean-to down some but that's more for headroom and a sad "attempt" at some passive solar. The Walapini probably would have been up and running by now though; dig a hole in the hill throw up half a tunnel greenhouse and have at it.... My sister is a die hard Prepper and if I built a Walapini she would probably try to move in, esp once it was producing. Where did you see one?

PostPosted: Apr 20th, '15, 12:00 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Can't remember exactly. I think it was a treehugger article about cheap greenhouses that sparked my interest. Not that it would be any good for me as we live in the inner suburbs of Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Apr 27th, '15, 23:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

So the Fish tank (freezer) and 55 gallon barrels all brought home yesterday. So what does it do all night.....yup rain some more! Freezer needs some slight rust repairs inside so I have something outside of the mud pit to do. The barrels will be for passive solar heat (not growing) so they need painting as well.

The sump is buried and the IBC cut for grow beds. The retaining wall shelf for the heat barrels is in sans wood trim. Now I'm Waiting on the big box store to get in the sheets of Poly Twin wall in 12" lengths and for the rain to stop so I can grab some 16' green treat lumber. Oh and the bulkhead fittings arrived too from Amazon.

I'm thinking of using Flax straw under the greenhouse rock floor for some insulation. It will breakdown in a few years but should make a nice bio mat. Checking online I was amazed at the insulating properties of sheep wool. Any of you use it over the pond? No hazmat issues, FIRE RESISTANT, and doesn't mold and much higher R value than 2" foam board. If you could get the belly wool it's super cheap too. The relatives that raise sheep here have already sold their wool otherwise I'd be trying it in the pony wall base of the greenhouse for sure. Anyhow that's the progress. Will take pics when the rain has stopped.

PostPosted: May 1st, '15, 09:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

So I got lots of little things done today. You can just see the top of the sump on the left side of the hole under the tarp. The freezer is unloaded and has been cleaned and primed ready for paint. The barrels are in progress on the painting and the retaining wall top is screwed on and all sharp tin edges are out of reach. The green treat lumber is arriving tomorrow for framing in and then the floor will be leveled and layered. Oh and most importantly I bit the bullet and climbed IN the sump to do a final cleaning....There has got to be some secret society badge or club for accomplishing that one! :smilebox:
So far almost everything is recycled...IBC's, Barrels, tin roof strip and bent posts and Freezer; so not the prettiest but it works.

Attachments:
File comment: Progress today
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 139.43 KiB | Viewed 3235 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 3B Dreams
PostPosted: May 4th, '15, 22:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Saturday's work. Washed out the IBC's again too but there is no photo.

Attachments:
File comment: Hole tidied up so you can see sump.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 140.17 KiB | Viewed 3187 times ]
File comment: Wall frames built and flax straw ready
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 127.6 KiB | Viewed 3187 times ]
File comment: Freezer primed
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 66.67 KiB | Viewed 3187 times ]
PostPosted: Jun 15th, '15, 07:42 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

So due to rain, the original hole caved in so we had a do-over. Sump moved over a bit but otherwise no changes. 5' Walls are insulated inside with flax and the floor has a foot of flax straw covered by 2' of dirt then a foot of scoria. Barrels in the back are not filled yet but the sump is filled due to photos on here of sumps floating out of the ground....
That's all for now....

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 113.58 KiB | Viewed 3069 times ]
PostPosted: Jun 15th, '15, 11:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Interesting build Lazy... :thumbright: At least it collapsed on you now rather than further down the track...

Profile Personal album  
 Post subject: Re: 3B Dreams running
PostPosted: Oct 19th, '15, 18:58 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

https://youtu.be/3LI6sXT-FFE

So here is a quick update on the system. We are in Oct and I have tomatoes blooming. All these plants are 'starter' plants put in to start things up. They are not the prettiest and I really feel I need more fish. Right now they are about 40 crick minnows in there. The greenhouse is normally double the outside temps and we are already below freezing at night. There is styrofoam on the north wall under the plastic. The ceiling is Opal and the side walls are clear.
Points worth mentioning...
1. Bed Scoria rock size will be increased ...the current stuff was too soft and broke down so the flow is compromised. That's why you see a channel.
2. The space heater isn't plugged in although you see it in there, this is a passive system to date.
3. Yes I shot that buck.

Post subject: December in ND
PostPosted: Dec 27th, '15, 11:07 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Nice achievement reached...picking tomatoes on Christmas Day in ND! It's 8 degrees F outside this morning and 42 in the greenhouse. The fish are not eating so I'm going to have to research some plant food. The water maintains at 40 degrees.
The growbeds have Kale, Brussel sprouts, Toms and Cauliflower. Most of the Cauli went to seed so I pulled them. The chives and Basil are still alive but not really doing anything which is fine.

I have thrown some Maxi grow (powdered) in there but not sure on how often or how much. Any advice?
Thanks