All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Rods IBC system
PostPosted: Oct 29th, '16, 18:58 

Are you human?: yes
Hi all here is a quick run down of my first AP system.
It has 5x1000l fish tanks that have 50mm slos to the 2x1000l sumps this is then pumped by a 18000lph pump to 5x media filled grow beds 350l of media each that have bell syphons currently cycling 4 times per hour and 2 floating raft beds. I plan to add a few more beds to the system once its all up and running i just need to decide what type i want to run.
Hopefully its cycled in time to get barra in there i will also be stocking some black bream and silver perch.
Massive thanks to members of this site for all the valuable information

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Rods IBC system
PostPosted: Oct 29th, '16, 19:05 

Its been cycling for 7 days now i had ammonia signs a couple of days ago. I added 200l from a mates established system so that should give it a bit of a helping.

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '16, 22:03 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
roddo wrote:
Hi all here is a quick run down of my first AP system.
It has 5x1000l fish tanks that have 50mm slos to the 2x1000l sumps this is then pumped by a 18000lph pump to 5x media filled grow beds 350l of media each that have bell syphons currently cycling 4 times per hour and 2 floating raft beds. I plan to add a few more beds to the system once its all up and running i just need to decide what type i want to run.

That's a nice looking system, roddo! :clap:

So looks like (assuming sumps are full) you've got:

5000 L FT + 2000 L ST + 700 L DWC + (5 x 350 L GB x 0.4) of water
5000 L + 2000 L + 700 L + 700 L of water
8400 L of water

and 5 x 350 L GB = 1750 L of wet media, right? Looks like you've got some good room to expand!

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Oct 30th, '16, 04:16 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya roddo, cool little set up you've got going there, did you hit the water table when digging the fts in?
How many fish are you planning for and what type? Have you set the sumps up with the first as a settling tank?
I'm down in Pinny regularly so once your're up and running I may pop in for a squizz if you don't mind.

PostPosted: Oct 30th, '16, 06:46 

nosliwmas your sums are pretty much spot on. Will hopefully add another 5 beds to the system or a heap of trough/pipe for leafy greans.

Skeggley. No didnt hit the water table which i was surprissed about as we dug some soak wells in at a mates place on the other side of town and hit it about 600mm down.
I will prob cap it at 100-120 fish for this season to make sure everything is happy. If its cycled in time i would like to put in 60 barra 30 black bream and 30 silver perch something like that anyway.
I have plumbed the sumps up so that 3 fish tanks feed to one and 2 feed to the other they are linked about 300mm from the bottom. I was thinking of feeding the slos into one sump letting all the heavy solids settle in there and then pump from the other one do you think this would be a better way of plumbing it it would prob keep most of the solids out of the system.
And your more then welcome to drop in and have a look the kettle is always on and theres always cold beers in the fridge.

Thanks
Rod

PostPosted: Oct 30th, '16, 07:12 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
With that kind of fish load yeah using one as a settling tank that can be isolated and cleaned would have been a good idea but probably too late now. You'll need to stir up the solids in the sump to get them into the gbs to mineralise. Leaving them sit will cause denitrification which will raise your pH. Just more maintenance that's all.

PostPosted: Oct 30th, '16, 10:01 

Its not to hard to change the sumps around thats why those 2 beds above them i have left as floating raft beds to remove them if needed. But i was thinking of just moving the pump between the 2 sumps to pump the solids into the grow beds. Im open to sugestions as its my first system and if it all works well then i might make an evan bigger system but wont use ibcs as tanks but thats a while down the track.
Thanks for the feedback its much appreciated.

PostPosted: Oct 30th, '16, 11:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
having an isolatable tank is also not a bad idea for when you are switching in/out fish or need a hospital tank.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Nov 8th, '16, 20:12 

Im wanting to put shade over the whole system what would everyone suggest im thinking 30% shade cloth would that be ok to leave up all year round. It gets direct sunlight about 2 hour's after sunrise and doesnt shade untill about 1hr before sunset.

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '16, 20:08 

Well my nitrites are now finally at zero. Happy days. But i have .50 ammonia reading this is the first ammonia reading i have had in many weeks any ideas what could cause this. Can algie cause it i have shut down my floating raft tank as it was very slimy as the water was in direct sunlight i will start it back up once its setup properly and has the rafts covering the entire surface area.

Im guessing i shouldnt add the barra untill the ammonia is at zero and the nitrites stay at zero.

On another note my ph is at 8.0 and has been pretty much since the day water went in which was about 6 weeks ago now. Should i do something to lower it.
I currently have 25 small goldfish in the system the plants are doing really well