All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49
PostPosted: Oct 19th, '18, 18:04 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Not my favorite time of year, but hey, at the gardens we created come to a quick end. In the words of TV character Adrian Monk, " I don't mind change, I just don't like being there when it happens."
Brian

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '18, 02:36 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Besides the little cold spell we had. It will probably be a El Nino fall and winter.

For the Southwest that is very good news. It will bring badly needed moisture.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/el-niño-looks-imminent—heres-what-that-means-for-you/ar-BBOBif0?ocid=spartandhp

PostPosted: Oct 22nd, '18, 01:21 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Yesterday I cut a bunch of strawberry runners from the garden and moved them to the greenhouse to try to root them then I will put them in the NOT-NFT since I have not used it for anything this year.

I am going to redo some stuff in the greenhouse next summer which means I'll be shutting most of the AP down for a bit (might keep a bed or two running so I don't lose it completely and be like starting over), I think one of the changes will be the NOT-NFT will get removed if I don't fall in love with it this winter with strawberry plants overwintering in it.

I haven't decided if I want to build a big plywood tank or maybe split it in two or three to still get more room than I have with the IBC tanks, but still be able to segregate different species in it.

I will probably build more beds above the fish tanks when I make up my mind what I'm doing, so they will get more use than the NOT-NFT.

I'm actually debating about pouring a concrete pad along the back half of the greenhouse north wall (actually have a partial under the barrels already) then building fish tanks all around the back wall and having a better shelving setup for the water barrels (or getting rid of the water barrels, I'm not sure how much they actually help, should stick temp sensors in them this winter to see if they are actually warmer than ambient temperature)

I am debating about some dual height beds like Brian's to get more space in my little greenhouse. Lots of thoughts in my head will try to work them out before next summer.

PostPosted: Nov 10th, '18, 19:39 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

First snow yesterday. It was enough to pretty much cover the grass but by lunch time it started melting. Hit us again last night about the same it looks like grass is covered.

Attachments:
IMG_20181109_084359647_HDR-800x600.jpg
IMG_20181109_084359647_HDR-800x600.jpg [ 198.8 KiB | Viewed 571 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 10th, '18, 23:56 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

ouch... the big freeze begins!

How are your temps holding up in there?

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '18, 02:25 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Nice you finally got some of that white stuff!

PostPosted: Nov 12th, '18, 08:15 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

My temps in the greenhouse were down to about 50F. I turned my heater on to keep it above 50 but haven't been home all weekend to check temps to see what it's really doing. I just finished my NAUI scuba instructor training conference which consumed my last three weekends and lots of work during the week so really it's been about 3 weeks since I've really got anything accomplished..

PostPosted: Nov 24th, '18, 10:25 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I decided next year I'm going to throw my hat into the beekeeping arena. I've been reading a lot, and placed my order for my bees today, scheduled to be shipped end of April. So I have until then to put together all of the equipment. I was going to do two hives from my reading it said that way you could compare them to see differences and know if something is going wrong easier, but my wife keeps rolling her eyes about the idea of getting bees in the first place, so I decided to just go with the one hive and expand later if all goes well.

I had planned on getting bees this past spring but when I started looking into it I was too late to place an order, so now my order is in, it's going to happen next year.

PostPosted: Nov 24th, '18, 22:08 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Honeybees are always a good idea. If you don't mind me asking where did you order from?
Brian

PostPosted: Nov 28th, '18, 07:12 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I placed an order with beekeepingUSA.com they had a 3 pound of Italian bees and queen package for $99 plus shipping set me back about $132 total... Was the best price I've seen so I decided to give it a shot. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out again so got my order in to ensure I will have something next year.

PostPosted: Nov 28th, '18, 08:16 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Ugh just went out to the greenhouse to check temps and I'm barely holding 42ish degrees with the pilot light running. Last winter when I installed it in january I was holding 50 no problem on pilot.. I had the straw bales around the base of the greenhouse that I hope is not making that big of a difference... But I'm thinking I'm going to have to get plastic to cover my windows... Maybe hope for a little warm spell to give me another chance to buy dirt and backfill against the greenhouse in place of the straw bales... But by now all of the landscaping places that don't keep their dirt inside will probably be done for the year because they won't be able to scoop frozen dirt with a loader even... I ran out of time this year and winter is winning the fight so far.

The small hoop house is below freezing but my water has not froze up yet. I am slowly pulling plants out of that system to put in the greenhouse because I am doubtful how much longer I can keep it from freezing. I will need to get the bluegills out of that system and move them into the greenhouse... And I never did get my trout so it's looking like another winter with no trout.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49