All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam's Acuaponía
PostPosted: Jul 13th, '16, 13:49 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
boss wrote:
I like where you are going with the second story idea.

Finally had a chance to plan this out a little better. Once I get the engineering part figured out about how thick and strong a concrete floor must be to support a few thousand kilos of water, I'll be able to flush this idea out a bit more, but here's my general idea right now:

Attachment:
Roof top garden office.png
Roof top garden office.png [ 128.44 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
That's a 8.25m² (almost 90 sq ft) for my new office and about 18.5m² (about 200 sq ft) for garden. :headbang:
Okay, I'll need a little room for walkways, etc. That will fit nicely on top of the back corner of my house replacing otherwise wasted roof space. If I work it right, I could turn that into a nice rain catchment system that could snag about 110m³ of rainwater per year, that's 110,000 liters (29,000 gallons) of water that otherwise would be running down the volcano into the Pacific. :dontknow:

Anyone got an extra copy of the Architectural Graphic Standards they don't want? ;-) I've got a student edition, but it naturally lacks a lot. We don't use architects or engineers much down here -- especially in the outback, so it will be mostly me figuring out how to engineer it and then explaining to my peons how to build it. I'm guessing a 6"- 8" cast concrete slab with LOTS of rebar and extra support columns below. Existing support structure below is block and concrete walls consisting of 2 open areas of 5.77m x 1.87m and 5.77m x 2.76m. So far this month we've had a 5.1 magnitude earthquake centered 40km away (10km depth) followed a few minutes later by a 5.3 magnitude earthquake centered 4km away (10km depth.) Hmmm.... I'd better beef up the walls... :think:

Those were the strongest we've felt all year, so it's not like we have big shakes every day. Come to think about it, that may have just been J. Edgar Hoover (1st director of the FBI in the US) rolling over in his grave when he heard the report about the ex-Secretary of State's mishandling of classified material resulting in no recommendation to prosecute from the current FBI director. Sorry! Bad joke... Back to gardening and raising fish!
:setup:
--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '16, 20:42 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
awesome plan, but yeah if you sleep below a few thousand gallons of water, you might want to beef up the whole thing from the foundation on up.

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '16, 07:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Okay, I've already worked through that Plan 3.0 on the Roof Terrace and 3.5 down below and now am about to start on Plan 4.0! I know, plan, plan, plan and never make anything. I'm getting closer... At least Dreaming/Planning is something I can do while trying to track down pond liner or cement sealer or this and that. I managed to get what I think will be a decent pump (Rio Hyperflow 20HF), I've got my API test kit. Fish tank (2500L HDPE black outside/white inside) is a no brainer now that I've found water tanks of about whatever size I might need at a reasonable enough price. I still have yet to find anything I can use as pond-liner -- just real thin stuff that wouldn't last a season. And I have yet to find a suitable cement sealer that I could use on concrete growbeds and troughs. So... I'm gearing up for building ferrocement growbeds and troughs and I plan to try to seal them with fine plaster along with an acid wash of some sort as a pre-emptive strike on the high pH cement. Cement, Sand, Chicken-wire, Rebar and Acid. Those are all things I can source locally. I figure if the cement growbeds are really too out of whack with the high-pH, maybe by then I'll have found a good cement sealer or pond liner I can use. :dontknow:

In a worst case I'm left with what will probably be a good bed frame for a liner or some sort of sealer or dirt.

So, I've been researching the fascinating world of Ferrocement construction... Suffice it to say that that is another completely interesting topic... As far as Aquaponics is concerned, I've found several threads on BYAP about using Ferrocement in Aquaponics and even more in the Koi Pond section of the Internet. So far I've read about several techniques for hitting a concrete pond with acid to combat the 10 to 11+ pH normal with Portland Cement:

- 25% to 50% diluted muratic acid (HCl) in filled tank while curing 7+ days

- scrubbing empty tank with acid and brush... 15-20 seconds on and rinse off

- fill with slightly acidic (less than 6 pH) water for a week, drain, then repeat fill
with acidic water for 2 weeks, drain, then repeat file with acidic water for 3 weeks
and drain, repeat fill with slightly acidic water and wait a week before adding
test/sacrificial fish

I have yet to see anyone really say how bad the high pH problem might be with a cement "pond", but I'm about to bet that with a combination of acid bath/wash and many water changes before allowing beds to thoroughly dry for a couple weeks before rinsing and starting with fresh water.

So... anyone still hanging in the forum with some helpful tips, personal experience or not, for trying Ferrocement growbeds and probably sump tank(s)? Especially anything regarding acid washing in lieu of using sealer.

I've already got plans drawn up for my next Fish House... :headbang:

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '16, 21:13 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
nosliwmas wrote:
Okay, I've already worked through that Plan 3.0 on the Roof Terrace and 3.5 down below and now am about to start on Plan 4.0! I know, plan, plan, plan and never make anything.
Planning can not be a bad thing. I wish I did more plans. I got lucky and what I built before reading much here hasn't caused me too many issues.
I'm getting closer... At least Dreaming/Planning is something I can do while trying to track down pond liner or cement sealer or this and that. I managed to get what I think will be a decent pump (Rio Hyperflow 20HF), I've got my API test kit. Fish tank (2500L HDPE black outside/white inside) is a no brainer now that I've found water tanks of about whatever size I might need at a reasonable enough price. I still have yet to find anything I can use as pond-liner -- just real thin stuff that wouldn't last a season. And I have yet to find a suitable cement sealer that I could use on concrete growbeds and troughs. So... I'm gearing up for building ferrocement growbeds and troughs and I plan to try to seal them with fine plaster along with an acid wash of some sort as a pre-emptive strike on the high pH cement. Cement, Sand, Chicken-wire, Rebar and Acid. Those are all things I can source locally. I figure if the cement growbeds are really too out of whack with the high-pH, maybe by then I'll have found a good cement sealer or pond liner I can use. :dontknow:

In a worst case I'm left with what will probably be a good bed frame for a liner or some sort of sealer or dirt.

So, I've been researching the fascinating world of Ferrocement construction... Suffice it to say that that is another completely interesting topic... As far as Aquaponics is concerned, I've found several threads on BYAP about using Ferrocement in Aquaponics and even more in the Koi Pond section of the Internet. So far I've read about several techniques for hitting a concrete pond with acid to combat the 10 to 11+ pH normal with Portland Cement:

- 25% to 50% diluted muratic acid (HCl) in filled tank while curing 7+ days

- scrubbing empty tank with acid and brush... 15-20 seconds on and rinse off

- fill with slightly acidic (less than 6 pH) water for a week, drain, then repeat fill
with acidic water for 2 weeks, drain, then repeat file with acidic water for 3 weeks
and drain, repeat fill with slightly acidic water and wait a week before adding
test/sacrificial fish
I take it fish safe paint isn't available down there either? I too have seen many youtubies on Koi pond construction using cement, I wasn't aware they were using ferrocement, I thought it was non metalized cement. What is the purpose of the metal and would it not just add to the caustic properties of cement?
I have yet to see anyone really say how bad the high pH problem might be with a cement "pond", but I'm about to bet that with a combination of acid bath/wash and many water changes before allowing beds to thoroughly dry for a couple weeks before rinsing and starting with fresh water.

So... anyone still hanging in the forum with some helpful tips, personal experience or not, for trying Ferrocement growbeds and probably sump tank(s)? Especially anything regarding acid washing in lieu of using sealer.
like you have seen it done. I've also seen people using old cement ponds, I suppose the base levels have worn off over time.
Check out PLJ's big cement pond for example: http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12883&start=630
I've already got plans drawn up for my next Fish House... :headbang:

Alrighty then! That's a beaut.
--
Sam

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '16, 23:46 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Sam,

Was just reading about your system with great interest because I have recently moved to Costa Rica (with my Tica wife and 2 boys) and am thinking about starting up a small commercial aquaponics system here in the central valley (near San Isidro, Heredia area). We are still looking around for a site but have a rental house where I'm setting up a prototype system. Anyway, would love to hear more about how your setup is working. I also was wondering if the tanks that you selected seem to be doing the job. I was looking at those as well.

Cheers,
Jeff

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27827

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '16, 16:56 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to Costa Rica! :headbang:

jholmes wrote:
Was just reading about your system with great interest because I have recently moved to Costa Rica (with my Tica wife and 2 boys) and am thinking about starting up a small commercial aquaponics system here in the central valley (near San Isidro, Heredia area). We are still looking around for a site but have a rental house where I'm setting up a prototype system. Anyway, would love to hear more about how your setup is working. I also was wondering if the tanks that you selected seem to be doing the job. I was looking at those as well.

Before I even got water in the 1100 L tank, I upgraded it to the 2500 L tank, but I don't have it all together yet. I live a ways out from the central valley (about 4-5 hours) and I've had no luck at all finding suitable pond liner material to make growbeds easily, so I'm gearing up for building ferrocement structures for my DWC trough and gravel growbeds. I've been doing small ferrocement projects to practice and within the next month or so I think I'll have it down enough to make my 1st growbed out of cement and chicken wire. As best I can tell without hindsight, I think I can deal with the cement's natural alkalinity enough by doing acid washes and acid baths while curing the beds. Maybe I can find a suitable sealant for cement, but I haven't found it yet.

I think the 1100 L tank would be as good and better than an IBC tank and there are plenty of folks that use IBC tanks quite successfully as a fish tank. I never had any luck finding much in the way of water test kit, and I look every time I go to San José. Finally I just brought one down in luggage on a recent trip to EE.UU along with a nice pump and some tank bulkhead adapters. At least you've got EPA's nearby! I think I'll be picking your brain on where you found this or that while you are building your system. :think:

What are you planning to grow and sell from your system when it gets up and going?

I've got 4 Tica daughters and a son/grandson and if I can keep us in culantro and tomatoes I'll consider this a success... Of course I expect to eventually be skilled in the art and produce much more. But culantro will be my first goal. You can't really make proper gallo pinto with out culantro, can you? :naughty:

BTW, there's another guy in the southern zone not too far from Panama that was working on a system -- I think his name was Eric -- but I haven't seen him post here in 6+ months or so. There was another fellow somewhere in the central valley that posted a few times as recently as a month ago, but I never got a chance to talk with him. In old posts on this and other forums I've found a few Ticos that have tried aquaponics around the central valley, but outside of an split IBC school system out on the Nicoya peninsula, I'm not aware of any others in Costa Rica. There is a big aquaculture place outside of Cañas not too far from me, and there are some big fish pen operations in Lago Nicaragua, but I haven't managed to visit either one yet. Out by the beaches (and elsewhere I imagine) there are a good number of hydroponic pot growers -- at least enough to support one or more hydroponics stores. The hydro stores are the only places I've found that are well stocked on nutrients, net pots, and where you can find expanded clay pebbles.

It is not too late to be a founding member of Costa Rica Aquaponics Club... jajaja... Is it time to start one yet?

¡Pura Vida!

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '16, 23:16 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply! I know your pain when it comes to sourcing materials and supplies. Even in the Central Valley it's a challenge for certain things but I am just getting started, of course. My wife has lots of friends/family here so I'm taking advantage of that even though they all probably think I'm crazy. I'd be interested to know more about your tank source. I was hoping to find a used one somewhere - there's a place I've seen on the highway just before San Ramon that has a lot of tanks - not sure if they are new or used. Have to get out there one day. What kind of price was was your tank?

Ferrocement sounds like a good way to go if you can figure out the pH issues. I'm going to try something very simple to start off with, based on the iAVs system (http://iavs.info/) that is essentially an ebb and flow sand bed. I like the simplicity and the science seems to make sense. I'll start a new post under Member's Systems with my fancy Sketchup rendering shortly. But the iAVs system requires a specific type and size of sand - silica or quartz around 1-2mm in size, for its inert nature. I did track down some silica but it was too fine. Have a lead on a couple of places in Cartago though that I need to check out.

For liner material, I'm going to go with a heavy black plastic that I found in EPA. It's not as thick as pond liner but my system will be a 1x3 m wood box (about 40 mm deep) with the sand in it so I think it will be fine. The fish will go in one of those round tanks, cut down to a reasonable size. At least that's what I'm thinking now. Likely, I'll start off with a mix of leafy greens and some other fruiting crops like tomatoes and perhaps squash or beans. Have you heard of iAVs? Any thoughts on it? I've been chatting with other people about it on the Aquaponics Nation forums as well. There's a guy in India who has a ton of experience and seems pretty happy with it in general.

I saw your prior conversation with Eric and sent him a note. Hope he's still going! I've seen the info on Finca Neptuna too. It actually put me on to an aquaponics workshop coming up in Santa Cruz, CA in October 20-23 (http://www.livingmandala.com/Living_Man ... -2016.html). One of the instructors was involved in setting up Neptuna. Looks like a very informative 4 days. Let me know if you think about going. Could be a good place to have a Costa Rica Aquaponics Club planning meeting! :-)

I'll post some more details about my plans once I get a bit more organized! Thanks again for getting in touch - it's great to have someone else

Cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '16, 04:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

jholmes wrote:
Thanks for your reply! I know your pain when it comes to sourcing materials and supplies. Even in the Central Valley it's a challenge for certain things but I am just getting started, of course. My wife has lots of friends/family here so I'm taking advantage of that even though they all probably think I'm crazy. I'd be interested to know more about your tank source. I was hoping to find a used one somewhere - there's a place I've seen on the highway just before San Ramon that has a lot of tanks - not sure if they are new or used. Have to get out there one day. What kind of price was was your tank?

Without a doubt they will think you are crazy! :crazy3:

I've either got and can borrow equipment to transport medium-sized tanks, but for me it was much easier to haggle a bit with our local Dos Pinos (the dairy coop) Almacene Agroveterinarios:

Dos Pinos Almacene Agroveterinarios
http://avdospinos.com/U/Inicio

I live in dairy cattle country and have one just 1 km away. But almost any ferreteria can order tanks from one of Ecotank or Duraman or Cemix Aquaplas or Rotoplas. When I called La Casa del Tanque directly, I got about the same tank prices as I could get from my local Dos Pinos AV except I don't have to pay shipping and I can buy with a bit of a discount via one of my cuñados who is a pretty big farmer in these parts. I think the 1100 L Ecotank was ¢88 mil and I don't recall on the 2500 L tank. At one point I drove around to 4 or 5 other stores in Guanacaste that sold tanks and I never found a better price than the local guy had just 1 km away.

I think La Casa del Tanque has a store between Alajuela and Heredia, plus there are the industrial places you might be able to pick up a used tank from like the brewery near you (La Cerveceria) as well as perhaps the big drink distributor (Florida Bebidas), or the Nestle plant, or even the big bakeries like Galleta Pozuelo .

Tanques near Heredia Costa Rica

I've always wanted to stop in at that used tank place on the highway by San Ramón, but we are always passing by on the way to San José either too early or too late to stop in. You can also find IBC containers down by the coast pretty easily for ¢30-40 mil. There are also a few fiberglass tank builders that do pools and custom tanks. There's at least one down the Caldera highway closer to the coast.

Quote:
I'm going to try something very simple to start off with, based on the iAVs system (http://iavs.info/) that is essentially an ebb and flow sand bed. I like the simplicity and the science seems to make sense. I'll start a new post under Member's Systems with my fancy Sketchup rendering shortly. But the iAVs system requires a specific type and size of sand - silica or quartz around 1-2mm in size, for its inert nature. I did track down some silica but it was too fine.

Boy, I hope you have much better luck than I tracking down oddly specific things. But you're right... Being in the Central Valley means you are much closer for exploratory shopping trips. For me it is a 10 hour round trip to go into the Central Valley and if it weren't for having a kid with a congenital heart defect that required 20+ visits to HNN (the children's hospital) the first couple years of her life, I'd probably rarely make the effort unless I had to go to the airport or specifically went to pick up something I REALLY needed.

Quote:
For liner material, I'm going to go with a heavy black plastic that I found in EPA. It's not as thick as pond liner but my system will be a 1x3 m wood box (about 40 mm deep) with the sand in it so I think it will be fine. The fish will go in one of those round tanks, cut down to a reasonable size. At least that's what I'm thinking now. Likely, I'll start off with a mix of leafy greens and some other fruiting crops like tomatoes and perhaps squash or beans. Have you heard of iAVs? Any thoughts on it? I've been chatting with other people about it on the Aquaponics Nation forums as well. There's a guy in India who has a ton of experience and seems pretty happy with it in general.

I'm really curious to see how well you like that plastic sheet that EPA carries. I was always worried about it being too thin and even if I doubled or tripled it, I'd still fear punctures from gravel and general garden rough-handling over time. I kept holding out hope for finding better, which I actually did at some fancy landscaper place in Escazú one time, but for what I could get at a Home Depot in the US for $70-80 they wanted over ¢300 mil (almost $600.) That's when I finally gave up the idea on getting good pond liner unless I ship it in some shared container. Hence the ferrocement or fiberglass route seems like my best long term solution...

I've followed a few iAV discussions on BYAP as well as other forums and someday I might try it, but for now I've decided to go the more "traditional" aquaponics route of gravel growbed coupled with DWC. I'm sure I'll be forever experimenting with ideas, so one day I might have one for show-and-tell on our farm outback. :dontknow:

I think I've got some contact info for a French guy that used to live in Alajuela or Heredia that was selling his aquaponics system this past year. I'll try to dig up the contact info in case it might be useful for you. I'm not sure why I've lost contact with him. I think he was packing it up for health reasons. Looking forward to sharing ideas with you as we both (hopefully!) push the high-tech gardening edge in Costa Rica! ;-)

¡Suerte!

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '16, 07:42 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Jeff,

Another feasible technique within the limits of our supply chain (i.e. pretty much no Amazon) is to plant Dutch Bucket, or Bato Bucket style. I keep forgetting to mention that, but to me they seem like an excellent complement to the pebble beds and DWC. They can easily help squeeze in more growing space in every nook and cranny. Anyway, buckets and rocks -- that I can source! However it would be nice to find those largish (10-20L?) paint strainer mesh bucket caps somewhere rather than having to weave our own out of bamboo! Jajaja... it's not that bad of course, but for those not in this situation, imagine having to drive 10 hours round-trip to go to a big chain "box" hardware store. In Spanish we call them "super ferreterías" (Super Hardware Stores.) We repurpose and rebuild almost everything out this way... I think Dutch Buckets should always have a place in my acuaponía.

Yeah, I've got no excuse for not having some Dutch Buckets working right now... :whistle:

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '16, 09:17 

Sam's Super Systema de Cubo's 8)

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '16, 12:02 
Legend Member
Legend Member

scotty435 wrote:
Sam's Super Systema de Cubo's 8)

:laughing3: I like it! :laughing3:

Let me check whois to see if the domain is already taken! :dontknow:
Of course I found that the ideal name for Costa Rica Aquaponics, "crap.com", was registered by some Canadians 20 years ago... :support:

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '16, 12:22 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the great info. I'll try and swing by the place near San Ramon soon and will report back what they have. I don't yet have my "farm" transporter yet - hoping to find one of those old pickups with the wooden sides (I know they have a name here but can't remember what it is!). My wife probably wouldn't be very happy with me flying down the highway with a big tank on top of our car.

I do like those IBC containers (never knew their name!) - not sure what I would do with one yet but I think I need one. I have some extra time right now for projects because my actual job, working on the Encyclopedia of Life project (eol.org), is on hold while Harvard figures out if they will let me work on a contract basis. We were in the Boston area for 6 years while I worked there full time but Haaaarvard doesn't do long distance relationships very well so I had to cut the cord. So much for the global workforce. Anyway, back in Boston, I had an outdoor hydroponic system made mostly of plastic downspouts and a 20 gallon tote. Worked pretty well but I had to scale back in the winter to my rather puny indoor operation. So, with the climate here, I'm excited to try a small commercial venture - at least I can claim that we will have plenty of greens to eat. I know my 10 year old boys (twins) will be thrilled...

I am hoping the black plastic will work okay for the iAVs bed since it's just sand in a wood container and not a lot of movement or changing of the media. The iAVs guys think the sand might be good for 3 years or so before needing serious washing - as long as you scoop some of the deposits off the top layers now and then. We'll see...

I wonder with the cement whether it would end up being almost as expensive as the liner if you have to coat it with some exotic paint. But, as you say, maybe some initial scouring will do the trick. I am curious to hear how yours works out because i think I'd like to use cement DWC for crops like lettuce and other leafy greens.

Finding "arena silica" or any inert sand that is in the 1-2 mm range is proving a real challenge. My Spanish is improving although still a tad limited for in depth conversations about the physical properties of sand so my poor wife has been making some calls for me. There is one pool supply place that is supposed to be getting back to us but not much luck elsewhere. A quartz or granite sand would do too but also hard to find.

Where abouts are you in Guanacaste? We go to Samara on occasion but it sounds like you are further inland?

Cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '16, 13:11 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

One benefit of your 4-5 hour commute to the central valley is that you don't have to worry about cleaning ash off your car/roof/plants, etc! We actually were lucky (so far) in Heredia and only got a light dusting. People in other areas are getting a little tired of Turrialba's antics, I think.

Also, glad to hear that your daughter pulled through all those surgeries. I can imagine that those were difficult times.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '16, 13:40 
Legend Member
Legend Member

jholmes wrote:
I don't yet have my "farm" transporter yet - hoping to find one of those old pickups with the wooden sides (I know they have a name here but can't remember what it is!). My wife probably wouldn't be very happy with me flying down the highway with a big tank on top of our car.

Heck! Here in the outback we ain't quite so civilized! ;-) Really there are just no traffic cops out here in the country. There's only one road up the volcano into our little valley and if for some reason traffic cops venture up this way, there are at least 2 or 3 Whatsup groups that warn everyone in our town and the neighboring pueblocitos. I regularly see a family of 5 (or 6 if you count one in the oven) riding on a little 150cc moto: 3 yr old on tank, papá, bebé, mamá, and 5 yr old on back all balanced by grocery sacks draped from one side to the other like saddle bags. There are no legal taxis out here -- all are piratas. However, if you don't have your own truck, then those pickups like that would be called "taxi carga"... jajaja. Taxi cargas are a pretty reasonable way to transport something too big for your normal set of wheels, or lack thereof.

Quote:
I do like those IBC containers (never knew their name!) - not sure what I would do with one yet but I think I need one.

One word: IBCofAquaponics

Quote:
I have some extra time right now for projects because my actual job, working on the Encyclopedia of Life project (eol.org), is on hold while Harvard figures out if they will let me work on a contract basis. We were in the Boston area for 6 years while I worked there full time but Haaaarvard doesn't do long distance relationships very well so I had to cut the cord. So much for the global workforce.

That sounds like pretty cool work. I'm a remote worker (tech support, programming, admin, etc.) and it is tougher than working in a regular office. Folks call my office in the States and it rings to one of my VoIP phones in Costa Rica and nobody's the wiser unless they hear parrots squawking outside my office window. Sometimes they'll ask me if that is a relaxation CD I've got playing in the background and I'll just laugh and tell them yes, that is the relaxing vibe that flows in my open air office on the edge of the jungle perched on the side of my volcano straddling the continental divide in Costa Rica. I opened my office at the end of the Internet (literally!) about 10 years ago and my only regret has been that I didn't do it 20 or 30 years ago. Well that and there was that one incident with a pair of twins (older and of the female persuasion) in the bar one night... :love10: :lovestory: :love10:

Quote:
I wonder with the cement whether it would end up being almost as expensive as the liner if you have to coat it with some exotic paint. But, as you say, maybe some initial scouring will do the trick. I am curious to hear how yours works out because i think I'd like to use cement DWC for crops like lettuce and other leafy greens.

I figure it is maybe a little cheaper doing ferrocement than it would be building a wood structure and fiberglassing it. Although like a lot of "hobbies" it is probably not a good idea to worry too much about the nickels at this point or I'd call it quits before I really get started. I'm doing a test with a freight forwarder out of Miami right now and the best I can calculate it, the freight, a customs broker, and import duties on a $300 automotive diagnostic code reader I bought on Amazon will be about $80 USD to get it from Miami to the nearest spot on the Pan American highway to me. I can live with that, although calculating import tax can be a bitch! Anyway if this trial run works well then I'll likely try shipping in some pond liner and some K1 biofilter media for making a fancy filter:

Jejeje... I've debated about buying something slightly fragile with a low import duty on it and using the K1 filter media like styrofoam "packing peanuts" would be use to fill voids in a box. :lol:

Quote:
Where abouts are you in Guanacaste? We go to Samara on occasion but it sounds like you are further inland?

Yeah, I'm about an hour by car to beaches we like out that way, but I live in the valley at about 600m between volcan Rincón de la Vieja and volcan Miravalles, about an hour away from Liberia either by pavement or back track.

I don't have much to show yet, but next time you head out to the beaches our way and have about an hour to sidetrack off the main road, I'll treat for beer or café whichever you like! Maybe if we get really organized we could swing a visit to the big tilapia aquaculture operation a little bit outside of Cañas. I'll try to find out who we can bribe to get in for a little private tour. I used to have a couple of bars down here and still have a lot of "friends" who owe me favors or an old bar tab.
:occasion5:
--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '16, 13:44 

nosliwmas wrote:
Of course I found that the ideal name for Costa Rica Aquaponics, "crap.com", was registered by some Canadians 20 years ago... :support:

Tough break Sam :dontknow:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next