All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Sam's Acuaponía
PostPosted: Oct 12th, '16, 10:58 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Thanks for Jorge's info. I think the going rate in the central valley might be a bit higher but I am hoping to do most of the finishing work and perhaps a lot of the plumbing and electrical myself. I've done a fair bit back in the States and in Canada and definitely want to make sure my toilets flush properly. Vented pipes, anyone? Now we just need to close a deal on a lot...

Question: Have you bought or looked into buying Tilapia fingerlings?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27827

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '16, 12:35 
Legend Member
Legend Member

jholmes wrote:
Question: Have you bought or looked into buying Tilapia fingerlings?

When going fishing out in the lowlands by Palo Verde, I usually stop and net Tilapia fingerlings for bait from the canals downstream from this big Tilapia farm NW of Cañas in Guanacaste using nothing more than a feed sack:

https://www.google.co.cr/maps/@10.4733133,-85.1697278,515m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I think the farms real name is CRIA, but they go by other names as well. If you buy St. Peter's Tilapia Fillets in the super, I'm pretty sure that is from them. They export about 90% of their Tilapia to the US and Canada and supply about 25% of the North American market.

RainForest Aquaculture, inc / Grupo ACI S.A.

I've never "bought" fingerlings from them, but I think one of my brother-in-laws stocked his fish pond with fingerlings he bought from them. I'll try to find out what he paid for them.

BioMar, the big (Danish? Norwegian?) fish feed producer, has teamed up with this aquaculture group on some joint ventures:

New tilapia feed factory in Costa Rica

I'm pretty sure there are other suppliers closer to you, but this one was so close to me that I never really looked much further.

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '16, 22:20 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
jholmes wrote:
Call me when you are ready to build! I will bring my hammer. Or trowel?

Speaking of building, we're hoping to build something here in the central valley. Any idea of what a basic structure made of steel would cost per sq meter? I only ask because you sound like a building kinda guy. I'm thinking of using steel as it is faster and more flexible than the standard blocks.

I'm with you on trying various type of systems. I find it amazing that there are so many strong opinions about different types but so very few direct comparisons. Can't wait to get started! Word is that our stuff may be delivered tomorrow or Thurs. but I ain't holding my breath...

Oh but there are comparisons check out this by Earthbound http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8621

PostPosted: Oct 13th, '16, 02:14 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey boss, thanks a lot for that link - you just wasted my whole morning. Ha! No, it was a -great- read. So fun to see data over such a long period in a condensed form. I laughed when I saw the comment of someone who said that they wished they had a time machine so they could skip ahead and see how it all turned out (that was somewhere around 2010 or 2011). Coming late to the party has its advantages!

PostPosted: Oct 13th, '16, 09:18 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

nosliwmas wrote:
When going fishing out in the lowlands by Palo Verde, I usually stop and net Tilapia fingerlings for bait from the canals downstream from this big Tilapia farm NW of Cañas in Guanacaste using nothing more than a feed sack:

https://www.google.co.cr/maps/@10.4733133,-85.1697278,515m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I think the farms real name is CRIA, but they go by other names as well. If you buy St. Peter's Tilapia Fillets in the super, I'm pretty sure that is from them. They export about 90% of their Tilapia to the US and Canada and supply about 25% of the North American market.

RainForest Aquaculture, inc / Grupo ACI S.A.

BioMar, the big (Danish? Norwegian?) fish feed producer, has teamed up with this aquaculture group on some joint ventures:

New tilapia feed factory in Costa Rica

I'm pretty sure there are other suppliers closer to you, but this one was so close to me that I never really looked much further.

--
Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the Tilapia info! I'll look some more around here - haven't done much searching yet since I'm awaiting my tools. Did I mention that already? :-x

Anyway... if I don't have luck around here, and I get my other vehicle, then I'm coming fishing in Guanacaste!
:)

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '16, 05:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Hurricane preparedness? :dontknow: Or new Tilapia tank? :headbang:

Attachment:
IMG_1186.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg [ 127.07 KiB | Viewed 2704 times ]

Hurricane Otto just made landfall a little north of the Costa Rica / Nicaragua border on the Caríbe coast and its rain has started at our place on the Pacific slope already. It is likely that before Otto gets to the Pacific its center will cross Costa Rica and if so, I think it will be the 1st hurricane to hit Costa Rica since 1851. When it made landfall it made it in the record books as the 2nd furthest south landfall of a hurricane in Central America's recorded history. Earlier it was projected for the center to pass right over us, but now I'm betting it will pass a little (50-100km) to the north of us.

That big 35,000 liter water tank in the center of town is pretty much the extent of my pueblo's preparedness. Yesterday I headed up to the roof with a hammer and pounded down a few loose pieces of tin on our roof and trimmed a few banana trees.

We are ready as we will ever be! :thumbright:

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '16, 07:49 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: well, ......am I??
Good Luck Sam!!

Panama was hit pretty hard, considering that nobody remembers a Hurricane EVER passing along Panama, let alone getting born just 65 nm offshore!!
[Usually these things start somewhere in the Atlantic, then drag into the Caribbean and get fired up here turn north and wreak havoc - Panama usually has awesome weather when that happens.
Of course here no one was prepared for all the water coming in!
Landslides, houses destroyed, trees fallen, etc...
Also, VERY unusual for a Hurricane to CROSS countryside for much!!

It seems this one is teaching everyone "something else!"

Again - good luck and hopefully you have everything tied down!!

thjakits,

Panama

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '16, 09:05 
Legend Member
Legend Member

thjakits wrote:
Good Luck Sam!!

Thanks thjakits!

We're getting the fiercest rain and winds we've had all day about right now with the eye of Otto just due north of us about 50 km. My roof is still holding and my drainage system is keeping up... I suspect within the hour things will begin to subside where we are and within 5 or 6 hours Otto will become a creature of the Pacific and be on his merry way... ;-)

I'm glad I risked a slippery roof yesterday to nail things down a little better. I don't think I've got anything serious flapping in these winds but the howling is so loud it really is hard to tell!

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '16, 09:28 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Sam, glad to hear that things are holding together up your way. Here in the central valley we got pretty much nothing except some rain and fog. No much wind to speak of at all.

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '16, 12:56 
Legend Member
Legend Member

As quickly as it came, it passed... Whew! Supposedly 4 or 5 people died in a landslide about 3 or 4 km from my place, but I don't think they really know yet. Several bridges in our area were washed away and lots of houses underwater to their roof tops. The local What's App chats are crowded with pleas for folks with 4x4 and horses and tractors to help get people that are trapped around here out of deep water. We seemed to have been hit a lot harder on the backside of the hurricane than the front-side. My roof sprung a couple of new leaks, but remained intact and we just had a little water get in our house, but overall my drainage system I've been improving around the house for the past several years really held up well. I haven't made it out to my farm out back, but I'd expect a few trees got uprooted and probably a bunch of bananas knocked over. I think Otto took a quick dip to the south and it kept us in the fierce part a but longer than if it had kept going the way it was up closer to the Costa Rica / Nicaragua border. I'm about to head out to help a friend's family salvage what they can from their house underwater so I'm sure I'll see a lot more damage as I get out and about. Tomorrow should be interesting!

Thanks for all the well-wishes. They worked for me! ;-)

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '16, 21:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Oh shoot, so sorry and "...a bunch of bananas knocked over." I hope this was the worst of it and your friends and family are okay. I suppose you are still out in the aftermath. Good vibes and best wishes heading your way.

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '16, 00:49 
Legend Member
Legend Member

boss wrote:
Oh shoot, so sorry and "...a bunch of bananas knocked over." I hope this was the worst of it and your friends and family are okay. I suppose you are still out in the aftermath. Good vibes and best wishes heading your way.

I just got back from a dawn's light survey and on our farm we lost nothing more than a thigh-sized tree limb. Amazingly I still had American-football sized anonas dangling from fruit trees. The official death count in Costa Rica is entirely from people I know whose house got smashed in a mostly rock landslide nearby. I'm sure that will change as I can't imagine where I am was the hardest hit area. Many houses downstream from us were simply washed on down the volcano and there are still missing people.

Whats App was filled with audio descriptions last night from friends digging in the rubble of finding a lifeless kid squished up against a tree smashed by boulders and tree trunks, etc. Death is pretty gruesome... The kid's whole family got wiped out by one of the landslides rushing down the volcano side.

I should also mention how heart-warming it was on a cold night to see our community jump into action. We don't have fire-departments or rescue squads out here in the sticks. Before the driven rain and the howling winds subsided, groups of friends and neighbors leapt into action and men with 4x4's, cuadros, tractors and backhoes were out in the hurricane digging for survivors and rescuing those trapped in houses neck deep in water. We self organized and had massive outpourings of clothing, blankets, and mattresses brought to the local school for those drenched and dislocated that started coming into town in droves. A lot of folks alongside our main river luckily got rescued by a passing bus trying to get out of harms way. As it was heading down the mountain neighbors wading out of their houses jumped on the bus to make it into town where we are on higher ground. Even our local Bailey bridge put in place a few years ago when the last one got wiped out, itself got wiped out... I'm rethinking my plan to build closer to the river the next time we build. The force of a raging river cannot be underestimated. Some local kids (young men) even rescued our local grumpy gringo who was neck deep in rising water clinging to his porch columns when they hopped his tapia to see if he was okay in the worst of the storm. I hope he at least remembers to thank those that saved him or we'd be short 1 gruñón this morning.

We really were fortunate that Otto passed from the Atlantic side to the Pacific side of Costa Rica so quickly...

Brian, your good vibes are the best... Thanks, man!

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '16, 20:41 
A posting God
A posting God

Community coming together in a disaster and so quickly, that is the greatest hope I hear for humanity. Hope, we need in spades. We've got four distinct seasons and as much as we're amazed when it's cold when it's supposed to hot or wet when we hope for snow, these are minor inconveniences in comparison to what happens in many places on our beautiful planet. Glad for the report, sorry for the losses to the community. I wish there were more I could do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7