All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Jun 13th, '17, 06:59 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
Tonzz wrote:
Mel, question for you............ the hoop house what is it covered in?
Where did you buy it from (please dont say bunnings :)) what sort of price please... we are building a plain propagating house for the garden

One layer of cheapo greenhouse plastic, the stuff with no cool trapped bubbles or any of the other hoopy features you can get now. :lol: I bought it from a local hydroponics store, South Pacific Hydroponics - awesome guys, definitely not Bunnings. Ah... as for price, lemme just have a squiz back in my thread...

...aha! From back on page 7:

Quote:
(...) it's 4m wide and $15/m. I could have got it cheaper ordering online, buuuuut nowhere else was going to hand me a roll, charge me for less than I estimated I was going to use, and tell me "Bring the leftovers back and tell us how much you used, we'll adjust the price accordingly. We trust you." :love4: (I cannot say enough nice things about that shop!)

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 08:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

My water temperatures are back to wobbling between 10-12 C, and the fish are eating the occasional bundle of leafy greens but definitely Not Interested in pellets. We're coming up to a run of nights with predicted lows of -4 and -5 C, so hopefully the days are sunny enough to boost temperatures back up!

My hoop house is still keeping things above freezing, no matter how cold it gets outside (yaaaay~!), so I'm still getting tomatoes!

The cherry tomatoes are doing best; the large ones are still ripening, but so slowly that most of them are starting to rot on the vine. I've pruned them back hard and am going to pick all the future ones green. I could sit them on the window sill to ripen, but somehow I suspect that I am going to be forced, forced I tell you, to make more green tomato chutney. :whistle:

And now we come to the (hopefully amusing) saga of my Wednesday morning!

On Tuesday, I cleaned out my radial flow filter, and I must have bumped one of the pipes out of alignment because when I went out to check on things early Wednesday morning, it was leaking. Not just the very slow occasional drip that I've resigned myself to it doing; it was dribbling a steady stream from around one of the uniseals, and I couldn't get it to stop. I poked at it a bit, and decided that I'm going to have to empty the whole thing, take it apart, and re-do all the pipe connections through it using something more secure. (Which reminds me, I need to get online and order two 50mm tank outlets, oops.) In the meantime, though, I couldn't just leave it there dribbling! The leak was fast enough that I was pretty sure I was already going to need to top up the water (when I checked later, yup). So, the obvious answer was to connect the outlet from the fish tank directly to the sump tank, which means that after I fix the filter I'm going to need to clean out the sump. Oh well. Fishies aren't eating much so they're not pooing much either.

I turned off the pump to the fish tank, took the internal piping out of the filter to make things drain faster, waited for the water to stop flowing, and used a siphon to partially drain the filter. Then I took off the pipe that runs from the filter to the sump tank, checked to make sure that it was the right length and angle to reach from the fish tank to the sump, started to remove the pipe that goes from the fish tank to the filter, had a little difficulty, decided that if I got the other end off the filter it would be easier to undo the end from the fish tank, popped that loose...

...SPLOOOOOOSHHHH~!!!!!!!!

There was still about 100 litres of water in the filter. And because I'd taken the internal piping out of it, there was nothing stopping it coming straight out of the connector I'd just undone. So I was standing there, holding a length of pipe (I was right, it did come off the fish tank once I had the other end loose :roll: ), soggy from the knees down and laughing like a loon as Lake Hoop House spread out around me. :lol:

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 15:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Woe all that and Canberra has 9* celcius today whooop whoop

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 15:50 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Tonzz wrote:
Woe all that and Canberra has 9* celcius today whooop whoop

Yeeeeppp... they're predicting -3 tonight, -4 Friday and Saturday with a max of 11 C. They are predicting sunny days at least, so the hoop house will be warm and hopefully my redneck water heater will do its job!

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 19:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Thanks for the Winter update Mel. I got a great mental picture of the pipe in hand water gushing and whoops scenario, well because it happens to all of us, whoops.

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 21:52 
Legend Member
Legend Member

boss wrote:
Thanks for the Winter update Mel. I got a great mental picture of the pipe in hand water gushing and whoops scenario, well because it happens to all of us, whoops.

I'm just glad that I was in the right mood to find it hilarious rather than swear-inducing! :laughing3:

...I would also like to point out that it was early morning when this happened, so it was still right on zero C outside, and under 4 C inside the hoop house... which is the recommended temperature for your refrigerator. :shifty: Needed a hot shower after that, but unfortunately only had time to change my pants and put on dry socks before I had to head out to an appointment!

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '17, 22:37 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Hahaha... I bet that woke you up!

Look on the bright side... it might be cold over there, but we're already past the halfway point (it doesn't hardly feel like summer has even started here but we're already losing daylight hours) so it'll be your turn again before you know it. I am starting to feel the building panic that I am not prepared for winter yet and we're on the downward slope already. We may have some warmer days coming yet in July-August but we're losing daylight so losing temperatures won't be far behind. I still have a LOT of work to get done before my greenhouse is ready for winter. My wife made a comment about the fact that we only have 3 weekends left before our boy turns 1 and she wants to have his birthday party at our house seems how we've been in the house almost 3 years and never had a party at our house... I have so many projects to do that would be nice to have done before then, but I don't think it's going to happen.

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '17, 19:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Poot. Photobucket has changed their terms of service, and apparently part of that is now "If you want to host pictures on our site and post them elsewhere the way we've been letting you do up until now, you now have to pay $400 a year."

I believe the operative words here are HELL NO and also possibly [EXPLETIVE] OFF.

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '17, 19:40 
A posting God
A posting God

I suppose it was bound to happen. Perhaps they sold out? It sounds like extortion if they won't let you get at your older pictures :shifty:
I don't know how they do it here at Backyardaquaponics, but ever since I let my site go I've uploaded pictures here. Perhaps it is time for a donation ask around here @BYAP? Either way, thank you BYAP!

PostPosted: Jul 1st, '17, 05:04 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
I just save my photos on the pooter knock them back to 600+800 pixels
Don't seem to have any problem yet

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '17, 13:31 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Things are finally starting to warm up here (though we're in for another run of five days of frost, good grief); the water temperature in my aquaponics is back up to the point where the fish are eating a little again, and our fruit trees are budding. We had a couple of really windy days in a row a bit over a week ago, strong enough that the zip on my hoop house ripped right off the plastic :shock: so I've been taping a spare chunk of plastic over the door at night to keep things warm in there.

Today I cleaned out the old dead sweet basil plants and planted ten little jalapeno pepper seedlings in their place, and started a whole bunch of seeds - watermelon, spaghetti squash, mini sweet pumpkin, green beans, yellow beans, purple beans, mousemelons, beetroot, sweet basil, cape gooseberries, and nasturtiums. Here's hoping I get germination rates good enough to plant plenty, and not so good that I run out of space to put seedlings in! :lol:

The tomato jungle got pruned back hard once it started struggling in the middle of winter, and then died back further, but now it's putting up new leaders. I'm kind of torn - part of me wants to prune off all the actually dead bits and see how well the old plants do in their second year, but the more prudent side of me is pointing out that they've already got massive root systems (that escaped out of the root pouches that were supposed to contain them, and caused overflows by growing into solid mats under the water inlet), and I don't want to end up with anaerobic dead zones in there. Soooo I'm planning to yank them all out and start over with new plants. I'd better do it soon! :P

I also have tons of little tomato seedlings popping up from where cherry tomatoes dropped into the growbed and didn't get picked up, so I can select a few of those and keep them instead of buying new seedlings. I want to get different varieties of big tomatoes this year though; and I'd like to see how a green zebra will do in the aquaponics! We had them in the dirt garden last year, and they're yummy!

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '17, 00:57 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Mel after one spring with our little greenhouse we decided we didn't have enough room for seedlings and are going to build a second much bigger greenhouse before winter (but doubt we'll grow much/anything in it during winter, just be ready to start seeds in it in the spring).

Just looking at your average temps it looks like you'll be back in business soon. That's very sad of us northern folks, but it probably means the forum activity will pick back up to give us something to do while we can't grow much through the winter...

It's an interesting thought about keeping some tomato vines to see what they do in their second year. I might have to see what can survive my winter and try to keep one or two of the vines and see if maybe they start producing quicker than new plants will.

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 08:00 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I did end up cleaning out the old tomatoes, but I've kept a few cuttings from the regrowing bits and two nice little seedlings. I've planted out three types of beans, spaghetti squash, a nasturtium seedling, pak choi, rabbit ear lettuce, rainbow silverbeet (the old plants were still growing but were awfully straggly so got replaced), perpetual spinach, mustard spinach, pumpkins, and yesterday I put in two kajari melon seedlings that promptly got their stems eaten completely through overnight. Snail pellets have been deployed in retaliation. :evil:

And speaking of last night... I've still been closing the hoop house up once the sun goes down because the nights are pretty chilly. Saturday we had -2 C, so I went back to the trick of burning a big candle under a lid to radiate heat, and the forecast for last night said 0 C, so I did it again.

We didn't get 0 C. We got -6 C. What the ffffffffruitcake, weather?!?!? :shock:

*ahem* Yeah. That was a surprise. I'm very glad I had the candle going - the hoop house temp dropped to 2.6 C and the water temperature only fell a little from yesterday's readings. (I do know that the candle is making a worthwhile difference because I experimented a bit in August - a night with the outside temperature dropping to -1 C and no candle in the hoop house gives me 2.4 C inside, the next night had an outside temperature of -3 C and with a candle lit in the hoop house I got 3.6 C plus less of a drop in water temp.)

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 17:26 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
A childhood memory,the candle under the flower pot,as children we lived in a stone built Victorian house with the kitchen out the back and behind and below that was the bathroom toilet,in the depths of winter after listening to Top of the Pops on the radio of a Sunday night it was time for a bath. Mum would have put the candle and flower pot in the bathroom just to take the chill from the air,then we had to brave the elements,I don't suppose it was that bad Iam still here,although I do prefer a warm bathroom with nice warm water now a days.

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 21:33 
A posting God
A posting God

Friggin fruitcake weather indeed. The cold will pass and you'll be back in business soon we hope. Some of our tomatoes are going into their third Winter with no signs of slowing down. I kept thinking the tomatoes should give up the ghost, alas they are still going. I should get some pictures of those stems as they look wooden.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next