All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
PostPosted: Feb 17th, '18, 12:40 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
That sounds fabulous 6k outstanding!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '18, 01:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Glad to hear you're doing well Mel... hopefully the knee fix is easy going too! Looks like summer is treating you well over there. We keep getting teased with warmer weather and I'm working on planting a bunch of starts but in brutal honesty we have another two or three months before it will really be safe to put plants outside. I am going to try and push my luck this year with to gather data on what temps my plants really can handle so will probably sacrifice a number of plants in the process but that's all worked in to the plan for this year just to learn what I can learn about growing in the hoop house and low tunnels.

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '18, 08:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
Hi Rob! Summer is going well over here, we seem to be through the really scorching hot part (hopefully!) but I'm still having to top up the aquaponics every week. My rainwater tank is empty. :P

The knee is technically a much less serious surgery than the hip, but I get to be lazier after it because it has to be handled differently! I was up and walking and doing exercises the day after the hip surgery, but with the knee I'm going to have to put no weight on it for at least ten days. Apparently you can walk on it just fine right after the surgery, but that often leads to swelling that will mess with the healing process, so my surgeon short-circuits that by just having a blanket rule for everyone to stay off it.

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '18, 15:26 

Everything is looking great Mel!

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '18, 19:25 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Charlie wrote:
Everything is looking great Mel!

Thank you Charlie!

I have two and a half kilos of tomatoes. Guess who's making a batch of chutney tomorrow! :-P

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '18, 14:32 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Ohhhh yum yum yum yum YUM. I think this is my best batch yet!

The tomatoes are mostly Orange Grosse Lisse, which are quite sweet, so I put in more crushed chillies than I usually do and tweaked the rest of the spices a bit too. Turned out great; the initial taste is sweet, then it goes tangy and vinegar-y, and then theres a nice mild burn on the back end. :headbang:

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '18, 18:58 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Only after Coffee
I do love me a hot back end... :bootyshake: :D

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '18, 18:59 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
pretty colors in that pot! taste the rainbow!

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '18, 21:58 
A posting God
A posting God

Mel, are you doing okay? Missing you.

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 20:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

boss wrote:
Mel, are you doing okay? Missing you.

Hey Brian! I'm good, sorry to worry you! Turns out knees are a lot harder than hips and it took a long time before I could sit at my computer for more than five minutes at a time. :shifty: I've been spending a lot of time lying in bed with my leg up and an icepack on the knee, knitting and reading. I am healing well though, my surgeon is very impressed with how fast the bone has filled in. I need to do a bunch of exercise and hydrotherapy etc to get strength and flexibility back, and in three months I go back in to have the plate taken out. I have a really gnarly scar. :headbang: I hope you and Nell are doing well?

We've got some landscapers working in the back yard, putting in mowing edges and pebble paths and stuff, including putting down plastic and pebbles all around my aquaponics so I don't get the damn weeds growing up between the edge of the slab and the hoop house where I can't get at them any more! They should be finished this week, I'll put up some photos once it's all done.

The fish are doing well, I bought the next size up pellets and they seem enthusiastic about them. :twisted: I'm going to try to get video of them tomorrow. My little camera is all charged and ready to go. I haven't been doing as much as I wanted with the garden and aquaponics (because crutches :P) but the silverbeet is growing like weeds - my husband cooked an absolutely glorious spanakopita with it - the chillies have decided that now the beans are finished it's their turn to fruit all over the place, and the horseradish has taken over three-quarters of the growbed it's in and completely smothered the celeriac plants I had next to it. Lesson learned, the celeriac gets its own growbed next time. We've had plenty of tomatoes, eggplants (ugh, I don't grow them for me!), and capsicums (also kinda ugh); my Cape gooseberries did well and I found out I still like them, but not enough to eat as many as I get; the tomatillos also grew and fruited like mad but not until after I had my surgery and wasn't in any shape to stand in the kitchen experimenting with recipes for them, so I'll be trying them again later this year. I got several good-sized 'spaghetti squash', but the squash I saved the seeds from must have been pollinated by something else, because they looked like spaghetti squash on the outside but cooked up like a pale yellow pumpkin mash. Oh well, they were yummy anyway. Pattypan squash and mini pumpkins did well, we ate a bunch of those.

Anybody got experience with solar pool heaters or similar for warming their aquaponics up? Our temperatures are already dropping and I want to see if I can keep the fish eating through winter...

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 20:56 
A posting God
A posting God

Oh that's so good. No worries. Scars are like merit badges right? Nell and I are doing great. We're both working out every morning. Her primary doctor retired and the new one took her off Warfarin and Simvastatin right away because she's got a healthy diet as well as the exercise routine. We're both thrilled to be taking fewer medications and feeling better too.
I have also thought about solar pool heaters, but it didn't really come to much. Neither did the compost pile water heater idea. Really the best part about the straw bales was stacking them around the Koi pond to keep the wind chill effect off the glass top on the pond.
Thanks Mel
Attachment:
Grand-daughter-Easter-dress-pink-fishing-pole.jpg
Grand-daughter-Easter-dress-pink-fishing-pole.jpg [ 120.46 KiB | Viewed 1431 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 06:29 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
tomatillos..... never heard of them, are they an eating one or just for relishes etc

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 17:34 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Tonzz wrote:
tomatillos..... never heard of them, are they an eating one or just for relishes etc

You can eat 'em but they're apparently mostly used for things like salsa verde. We ate a couple and they're pretty nice, I think.

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 19:25 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Feeeeesh! :headbang:

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 21:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Awesome, thanks for sharing. It is almost as if the fish know which way the camera is facing because they move away, lol!
Tomatillos are popular here in the Southwest and used as you say for salsa and cooking.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatillo double LLs are silent or pronounced as "eeya' I get asked this a lot as we live in Sapello postal district.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next