All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
PostPosted: Jun 28th, '18, 06:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
Wow. Those are pretty impressive temperatures Mel. I don't yet have a hoop house, but am working on one. My home made heater gives me about 4C extra providing we get some sun, but without the hoop house, tends to pretty much drop back overnight. Temps have been hovering around 10 or a bit less this week (can't turn heater on atm because I'm away from home for 3 weeks. Son is keeping an eye on things after he gets home from work). So far it seems this winter is colder than last year, at least in Melbourne.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 28th, '18, 07:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
So far it seems this winter is colder than last year, at least in Melbourne. global warming will do that :funny1:

Mel those temps are good to hear, Ive just managed to buy a similar setup but need 8 hours drive to collect it. and I only have shade cloth over it this year.

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 11:25 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
The combination of heater and hoop house / greenhouse is awesome, seriously. The hoop house does a good job of holding the temperature in there so long as it's got some sort of heat input, and at night the heat input comes from the warmth stored in the water (plus I burn big candles in metal lanterns on the floor to supplement it, heh). During the day the water heater puts the lost heat back in the water and (if the weather is right) boosts it higher.

The hoop house alone made a big jump, too. I have water temperature records from mid-August 2016 (before I put walls on the hoop house) and 2017 (hoop house had been sealed for a few months by August). Overnight lows in 2016 were around 7-8 C and daytime highs were 11-12 C; with a hoop house the next year (and more growbeds running to transfer heat, admittedly) lows were 11-13 C and highs were 13-16 C. I'm looking forward to seeing what I get in August this year with the heater going. ;)

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 11:47 
Legend Member
Legend Member

so are we looking forward to the results

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 16:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Well may you laugh Tonzz. Saw on the news tonight that Melb had it's coldest day in over two decades. Can fish get frost bite?

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 16:21 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
Nhibbo wrote:
on the news... Melb had it's coldest day in over two decades.

And also that the coastal town of Qurayyat, located to the east of Oman's capital city Muscat, registered a minimum temperature of 42.6 degrees Celsius on Tuesday, potentially a new record high minimum.

Try growing trout in that heat!

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Jun 29th, '18, 16:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Nhibbo wrote:
Well may you laugh Tonzz. Saw on the news tonight that Melb had it's coldest day in over two decades. Can fish get frost bite?

yeah but thats typical of Melb ....guess the sun was out as well for a few minutes... what is the saying about Melb = 4 seasons in one day :wave1:

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '18, 08:56 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

chuckle chuckle....that's why I'm in Sydney atm

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '18, 19:28 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Good news on temps Mel! I will have to get my plans together for how to add one to my greenhouse so I can get it put together before winter hits me again.

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '18, 21:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Gunagulla wrote:
Nhibbo wrote:
on the news... Melb had it's coldest day in over two decades.

And also that the coastal town of Qurayyat, located to the east of Oman's capital city Muscat, registered a minimum temperature of 42.6 degrees Celsius on Tuesday, potentially a new record high minimum.

Try growing trout in that heat!

See, this is why "global warming" is a terrible name for it. I've heard "global weirding" put forward as a possible alternative. :lol: Technically it is sort of global warming - the globe on average is getting warmer - but the effect isn't to make it warmer everywhere. It's putting more energy into weather systems and making things more extreme everywhere. So, hotter maximums, colder minimums, bigger storms. A lot of scientists are pushing for everyone to use "climate change" instead because it's more precise and doesn't get so many social media posts of "it's snowing out of season, so much for global warming". :-P :dontknow:

PostPosted: Jun 30th, '18, 22:20 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Good point Mel. Another good "name" is rapid climate change. Predictions for Northern New Mexico "Change," Ten years ago suggested "weirder" or more irregular weather. A common issue people tend to cite while we're in this transitional phase of Global Warming, is the old adage, "If you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes!" To me that was funny ten years ago, but now we're getting the 100 year flood every five years. We're in the second massive drought in six years. I also believe it is too late to discuss this issue, so you can disregard my remarks if you like.
We feed the wild birds and this year we see two species we've not seen here before. My defense against rapid climate change is planning to enlarge our fish house and create a plants only area with hotter temps than the fish area.
Brian

PostPosted: Jul 1st, '18, 07:38 
A posting God
A posting God

The changing climate is certainly very noticeable here, over the last 30 years on my place I've gone from very cold frosty winters (I haven't seen -8C since the mid 1990s, now it rarely gets below -1C)) to only having light frosts, and not very many of them. I was looking at my 1993 weather records the other day and it was frost after frost in June that year. This June we've had maybe one, but I wasn't up early enough to see it.

Summers have become extremely hot in recent years, with temps up to 4 degrees hotter than I have seen previously, and over a longer period- summer has become longer. My cherry orchard is becoming a bit marginal, I've had cherries cooked on the tree due to temps over 40C in November. I've decided not to try to keep trout over summer any more, after losing a few dozen trout in January, as even with the chiller the extended runs of heat mean I can't keep the water cool enough.

Adapting AP systems to suit the changing conditions as Brian mentions above is neessary IMO.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx

PostPosted: Jul 3rd, '18, 10:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Continuing updates on the solar water heater: Ye gods I love this thing! XD Despite several nights in a row with hard frosts at -5 C, the days have been sunny enough to boost my water temperatures up to just over 16 C during the day... and the fish are eating pellets again. Not many, but if I put a few in the tank the response is immediate.

An interesting note is that the air temperatures in the hoop house aren't getting much higher than the water temperatures. The sensor I'm using to measure them is placed out of the sun and at around the same height as the growbeds; the air at the top of the hoop house, where the solar heater panel is hanging, gets hotter and the panel is covered in condensation drips whenever it's running, showing that it's pulling heat out of the air as well as from direct sunlight. That's all energy that would be lost otherwise, and the plants (still growing strong, especially the nasturtium) shade the growbeds enough that I don't think I'm getting much heat transfer in through there. It's all the solar heater.

Hey Tonzz, have you picked yours up yet? :thumbright:

PostPosted: Jul 3rd, '18, 16:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

this weekend but i am helping daughter shift into new house, so its build, assemble, buy this do that...have no idea how long I'll be in the big smoke.

PostPosted: Jul 3rd, '18, 17:05 
A posting God
A posting God

>> panel is covered in condensation drips whenever it's running, showing that it's pulling heat out of the air as well as from direct sunlight

Actually, it just means that the panel temperature is below the dew point of the air, so moisture condenses on it ;)

Fruit +Loomberah Wx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next