All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Jan 24th, '17, 10:45 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
Quote:
it feels like the plants are not getting enough nutrients. Because that main tank is getting more green, I'm finding it difficult to see the fish and whether or not that they are feeding etc etc.... too sure what is wrong but there seems to be something not quite right.... can anybody out there help me?

@mel >> Pics of the plants? And what are your current water test results?

and some updated pics of the system and the fish tank.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '17, 17:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Test results are 7.6 pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and slightly raised nitrates. As for the pictures gotta wait till Friday when a friend brings his quality Nixon digital SLR over my house, then I'll get some clear/zoomed pictures of the plants.

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 13:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Water test results.

pH 7.4
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0 ppm

Photos.

The fish are growing nicely, goldfish have easily doubled in size for example .... the SP are there but still shy and seem to love hanging out deep down in the main tank. The colour of the tank is getting greener and greener, slowly tho but it's super sunny at the moment.. maybe I need to cover the tank from all sunlight direct and in direct? [my tank isn't in the sun for any length of time but you get what I mean...]

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 13:50 

Probably a potassium deficiency, looks like mostly older leaves and around the edges. Might help to spray with a seaweed extract if yours has some potassium. I'd definitely cover the fish tank but proceed slowly because killing all the algae at once can give you an ammonia spike when it dies.

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 15:04 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I've been using Seasol every 3-4 days but will up that, I was briefly every second day before but I stopped because it seemed excessive - since tho the plants have looked very average.. maybe I need to buy more fish?? ohhh so you know the seaweed extract used here [Seasol] contains 4.3% w/w's when it comes to potassium.... I will slowly cover some of the tank from sunlight, something that has crossed my mind to do recently actually.

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 16:16 
A posting God
A posting God

do a light sprinkling of blood&bone with added potash (eg. yates do it and couple others, get from Bunnings or Big W).
potash will give you the K and the B&B will add a few extra things that the seasol doesn't have.
Just lightly water in with a watering can to get it down into the damp zone. That should perk things up a bit.

Your main issue at the moment with a new system is that you don't really have a lot of solids in the grow beds.
Over time they build up and you get some greater nutrient availability.

as the system is stable you could add a few more fish.
But you also need to ride out your algal bloom.
Running the pump longer or extra aeration is also beneficial to keeping algae under control.
(that is where a bit of extra pump capacity and a T off the up-flow comes in useful).

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 16:28 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I can't see many plants benefiting from the fish water.

When a bio-pond goes green it means there are too many nutrients for the volume of water and its plant life to consume at that time. It can be a result of heavy rain flooding fertilized ground which then drains into the pond. The plants can't consume the extra nutrients so algae increases in the pond and consumes the nutrients - sound familiar?

Reducing the nute input, putting shade cloth over the tank and creating GB's with higher load will consume more nutes instead of it just running back to the tank.

Pete.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 16:45 

It's pretty common to have algae blooms when a system is new and when a bunch of phosphorus is available. Nitrogen can also do it but usually phosphorus is what's missing for the algae so when it's available and there is plenty of light you get this sort of thing. Reducing the nutrients, increasing the shade on the tank, and increasing the plantings in the grow beds are all good ideas to reduce the algae.

Since you've been adding seasol so frequently, I'd go with Darren's idea of using the Blood and Bone with added potash to get the potassium and anything else that's needed.

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 19:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Before I had a decent sized tomato in the center of my GB [sucking up plenty nutrients] but I transferred it to one of the buckets.. at the time the thinking was to make space and it was eating up heaps of nitrates.. that is the problem, I under estimated how much nutrients my fish were creating .... . I also in my head put the algae sunlight, there being to much but algae need food AND the right conditions [i.e. sunlight, lots..] to grow ......my plants doing nothing but dying slowly lol .. well the algae needs controlling ....

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 19:13 
A posting God
A posting God

You will get phosphorous from the B&B but if you can keep it in the grow beds that is simplest outcome.

Most important thing is not to add anything to the fish tank. Even Seasol.

I have had algae in absence of phosphorous and low nitrates/ammonia.
Usually the best option is to get water moving through the grow beds.
he only appears to have slightly green water, so it is pretty mild.
suspect it is a seasol overdose " I've been using Seasol every 3-4 days "

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '17, 20:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks for the input guys.

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '17, 16:54 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

A bit of water circulation :D

PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '17, 14:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

It's been only 3 days but there has deffo been a noticeable change regarding the algae

The water is a lot more clear for a start, alot more ....... it seems that circulating more water helps huge when it comes to getting rid of algae, that and covering the tank 75% .. is working really well.......... man the lettuce in the grow bed has grown nicely and is looking really really green not dry/yellow/brown etc etc

I have had a Vietnamese mint plant floating around on the surface of the tank for the last 2 months and it gradually turned more and more dry/yellow/brown.... it looked like it was dying and I was on the verge of pulling it out ........ but ever since I have started up the extra pump and pumping lots of water around my tank, bang it's growing nice and green.... it now looks alive now.........

As for extra plants ____ I have some cabbage that was grown from seed about 2 weeks ago, starting to get to that Bunnings seedling size lol ... transferring three of them into the grow bed in a week, might be a go ........ today I was bored and bought a chilli plant. something different but I plan to transfer that into the grow bed over the weekend

As for water readings I tested the water earlier today and nothing much has changed apart from the nitrate levels which are higher, everything else is good. :D

ohhhhhh pictures next monday..

PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '17, 15:01 
A posting God
A posting God

DO - dissolved oxygen - and Oxygen generally has a big role to play.
[ plus NO2 to NO3 requires a bit of O, bit more even than NH4 to NO2 as bacteria need DO ]

you probably also had some dead zones in your grow beds - better circulation will help that as well
(in addition making sure multiple outlets along a pipe around the grow bed helps)

lack of circulation is a pretty common and under-rated issue IMO. I rank having increased circulation much higher than cutting down the light - algae doesn't grow very well in well circulated water. Why I prefer to recommend a slightly bigger pump (but not too big) and couple FT volumes per hour.

also you grow bed is your filter - if you are not putting your fish tank volume through it (or more) then it is basically not being filtered.

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '17, 15:01 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Now that I have my algae problem under control and my vegetables a growing excellently I feel it's time to look at possible future extensions to my current setup which is 1500 liters, with a 200 liter GB. Now when I mean extension I mean more filtration and that means more grow beds, what type growbed is a good question :)

Should I add a strawberry tower or two?
Double my current grow bed?
Or look into DWC for my greens?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next