All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Fish's system
PostPosted: Aug 27th, '17, 17:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Reluctant vertebrate
Slowly coming together.

Attachment:
IMG_20170826_143850-800x600.jpg
IMG_20170826_143850-800x600.jpg [ 177.41 KiB | Viewed 4091 times ]

Total water volume ~3500L, FT = 2 x IBC, IBC Sump, RFF, BioFilt, GB = 1000L expanded clay + 535L DWC, Pump = PondMax EV-7200

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '17, 05:22 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
Just a small point those clamps weren't designed to take down weight drill the bottom ones and put a selftapper in
How do I know been there done that

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '17, 06:04 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Excellent point. I had been considering this. Over time I'm sure they would slip, which would be more trouble than I care to think about. Thanks for the feedback.

Total water volume ~3500L, FT = 2 x IBC, IBC Sump, RFF, BioFilt, GB = 1000L expanded clay + 535L DWC, Pump = PondMax EV-7200

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '17, 21:29 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

DoctorFish wrote:
Excellent point. I had been considering this. Over time I'm sure they would slip, which would be more trouble than I care to think about. Thanks for the feedback.
Just realising my GBs are approx 1755L in volume and if I want to fill with expanded clay at $35 per 50L bag it will be about $1225 to fill. Sad face. Looks like I can combo with half gravel and clay, but still pricey. Definitely the most expensive part of the build. If anyone listening in the Perth region has any they want to get rid of I would be very interested.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '17, 20:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Bases of my grow beds in place. Made from recycled pool fence. It's strong and can be picked up for free or at very little cost if you look around. With plywood on top it should distribute the weight pretty well.ImageImage

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '17, 10:50 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
>> Just a small point those clamps weren't designed to take down weight drill the bottom ones and put a selftapper in. been there done that

Good point by F&F - I missed this post at time.

What I do (level not stepped) is to rotate the connectors. put the open bit along the horizontal tube,
That way the upright support pipe is sitting on the bolt.
But you have to measure carefully and (more likely) free sit the setup, get it level and then pour a small amount of concrete around the feet to firm it up.

You should be OK from pics (being on wall & slabs) but keep in mind it is a bit of weight and will sink into soil/sand etc.

>> Looks like I can combo with half gravel and clay, but still pricey. Definitely the most expensive part of the build.

yep. It adds up. That is one reason why the third as a DWC might be appealing.
Also why people like Colum went with blue metal. But even more weight.
Worth giving BYAP (Cheidys) a call and see what they do for a bulk amount.

You might still get some sag from the pool fence strands. Should be OK with clay and IBC's but may be an issue with other media or if using a liner. One reason I went with recycled wood pallets.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '17, 14:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

dlf_perth wrote:
>> Just a small point those clamps weren't designed to take down weight drill the bottom ones and put a selftapper in. been there done that

Good point by F&F - I missed this post at time.

What I do (level not stepped) is to rotate the connectors. put the open bit along the horizontal tube,
That way the upright support pipe is sitting on the bolt.
But you have to measure carefully and (more likely) free sit the setup, get it level and then pour a small amount of concrete around the feet to firm it up.

You should be OK from pics (being on wall & slabs) but keep in mind it is a bit of weight and will sink into soil/sand etc.

>> Looks like I can combo with half gravel and clay, but still pricey. Definitely the most expensive part of the build.

yep. It adds up. That is one reason why the third as a DWC might be appealing.
Also why people like Colum went with blue metal. But even more weight.
Worth giving BYAP (Cheidys) a call and see what they do for a bulk amount.

You might still get some sag from the pool fence strands. Should be OK with clay and IBC's but may be an issue with other media or if using a liner. One reason I went with recycled wood pallets.
Hi Darren,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not quite visualizing what you mean about the connectors.

I plan to drill holes below the pipe connectors and put a bolt in to stop them slipping down.

The frame feels solid as hell, as does the fence base. But I appreciate it will be a lot of weight.

Regarding cost of expanded clay, I've had some advice to just fill one bed at a time with clay and slowly build the system up to three. Not bad advice me thinks and will give me a chance to build up the cash. It would be great if aquaponics stores gave you an option of buying clay by the trailer load, like for other gravel type media. DWC in one bed is a good idea too, give me a chance to experiment.

All my beds will be lined with plywood and pond liner like in Colum's build, which I've picked up for free from large industrial pallets. I then intend to "pretty" them up with some sort of wood cladding.

Anyone got a good spot they purchase uniseals in Perth?

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '17, 14:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
>> Thanks for the feedback. I'm not quite visualizing what you mean about the connectors.

If you rotate them so that one slot points down and one points across the 'hole' will be on the horizontal tube not the vertical. But this only works when the corner is at top of upright.
Not the ones part way down when staggered in height.

>> I plan to drill holes below the pipe connectors and put a bolt in to stop them slipping down.

that will work. You actually dont need a bolt - just a self tapper screw will do it (like F&F said)

>> The frame feels solid as hell, as does the fence base. But I appreciate it will be a lot of weight.

yep it will slip over time. hence go with the self tapper.

when Milne (F&F) says he knows cause he's been there...trust him...
I have been there too hence rotating my connectors.

>> Regarding cost of expanded clay, I've had some advice to just fill one bed at a time with clay and slowly build the system up to three.

that is an option. The clay is a man made product that comes in containers on pallets so no trailer loads.
In your situation I would start with one bed and get things running. Just keep your fish numbers in balance with the media volume.

If you had the cash I suspect Cheidys would do a pallet price (10 bags I think ?)

>> DWC in one bed is a good idea too, give me a chance to experiment.

cheap media option ;-) Usually the down stream one fed from media bed/s. You could bring the second (middle) online with media, a DWC in the third (closest to FT) and finish the one closest to the road road last.

Colum has examples and video/s of these since you are following that example (good one to follow IMO)

>> Anyone got a good spot they purchase uniseals in Perth?

The internet. If you get a few and/or find someone that wants to share postage then direct from USA would be option
but you need to order quite a few to make it worthwhile.

Rob Bob is another option members have used. http://bitsouttheback.com/uniseals/

The local 'other' AP vendor is pretty pricey $11.90+ per uniseal....
Cheidys dont sell them - I guess they are hard to make money out of without being expensive.

else go with bulkheads. Bunnings do a good price on the small ones ($3-$5) and Perth Irrigation in Welshpool are very cheap for fittings and OK price for larger bulkheads (look under tank fittings) http://www.perthirrigation.com.au/.
Worth the trip if you have a bit to buy as they are low price for PVC fittings (25% of Bunnings) and also large diameter stormwater pipe and fittings if they take your fancy.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '17, 18:13 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: unsure
No scoria locally in WA?

I used that for the bottom 2/3rds of my beds and then clay balls on top.

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '17, 18:23 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Brian wrote:
No scoria locally in WA?

I used that for the bottom 2/3rds of my beds and then clay balls on top.
There is, but I've been advised against mixing in gravel as it has a tendency to hold the roots too well meaning more organics break off and clogs the system. Not sure how much truth is in that.

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '17, 16:34 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

A little more progress to report. GB frames lined with approx 13mm plywood, then lined with carpet off cuts to ensure no rough edges puncture the pond liner. First uniseal for 40mm pipe installed for drain. No leaks yet... Whew. Feels good to at least get some water in the system, even if it was just for setting up the pond liner.ImageImage

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '17, 16:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Just some shots of the plywood liner. Plywood also used on the base. All free from commercial sized pallets that are regularly disposed of at a local industrial area. They we're happy for me to take them.

Attachment:
IMG_20171021_150852-800x600.jpg
IMG_20171021_150852-800x600.jpg [ 148.69 KiB | Viewed 3677 times ]

Attachment:
sketch-1511687451438-600x800.png
sketch-1511687451438-600x800.png [ 809.58 KiB | Viewed 3677 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '17, 21:16 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Your dream and plans are taking shape nicely. I too had to do our clay beads a little at a time. It works and soon they will all be filled.
Brian

PostPosted: Dec 27th, '17, 19:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Merry Christmas all. It's been almost one year since I started building my system. Slow going given the limited time I've had to work on it, not to mention funds. Fortunately, I've just started my long service leave and have a solid 3 months off. So I'm going to see if I can push through and get it finished. So expect more regular posts. Here are some pics of where I'm at. I've completed GB 1, minus some cosmetic enhancements like paint. FT 1 now has a cover and I've started some of the plumbing. The white piping on the edges of the GBs is 75mm storm water pipe, which is relatively cheap if you buy it in 6m lengths. I've cut it lengthways and clipped it over the edges. It's very strong and holds the pond liner really well, pretty happy with it. Just needs some paint to protect it.ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Dec 27th, '17, 21:41 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Awesome, I like the storm drains on top a lot. Again I astonished Australians get a long service leave. You are really going to make it happen now.
Is there anything on the horizontal rungs under the beds besides the liner?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next