All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Jul 30th, '17, 08:37 

Are you human?: YES
great08 wrote:
The clay pebbles seem to be easy to plant into but would not even hold up the transplanted basil.

Sometimes with new clay pebbles they float, plants will actually fall over and disappear into the pebbles because they are moving around. Your clay pebbles might be doing this, try lowering the water level in the pebble bed to see if the plants stay put better. Remember these are part of your filtration so don't get too carried away with lowering the water level. After they've been in the system for a while most of the clay pebbles will stop floating so plants will stay anchored better.

great08 wrote:
Did you know that raising your crop just a few feet off of the ground drastically decreases pest pressure?

I had heard this but I think the pests have figured mine out :upset:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '17, 08:53 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Lowering the water level may be a good idea. I was considering getting more pebbles to pour on top but that way would be cheaper and easier. I actually had one of the basil transplants just fall out of the bed and onto the ground. You are probably right. They may be moving slightly.

I will give that a try. Maybe just lowering the water 1/2" would be all it takes.

PostPosted: Jul 31st, '17, 06:30 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Fed the fish 5 times yesterday. Test the water at the end of the day and it was 0ppm again on the dangerous two.

Today I got 15 2" long fingerling goldfish for $3.30.

Marty.

Attachments:
File comment: Bigger goldfish and Koi checking out new fingerlings before releasing.
170730_003.jpg
170730_003.jpg [ 119.84 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]

PostPosted: Aug 1st, '17, 07:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yesterday the big fish got fed 5 times again. With the little ones getting fed twice.

Today they all got fed 5 times.

All looking good so far. Water temp. right now is 84deg F.

I have a hard time reading the PH. What do you think it says?

No more Ammonia or Nitrite talk from here on unless I have trouble. No more pics either. I Promise! :mrgreen:

Marty

Attachments:
File comment: Difficulty discerning PH. What do you think?
170731_003.jpg
170731_003.jpg [ 104.29 KiB | Viewed 1911 times ]
File comment: 0ppm on the Ammonia and Nitrites.
170731_001.jpg
170731_001.jpg [ 108.78 KiB | Viewed 1911 times ]
File comment: Bunch of kids watching the fish at feeding time.
170731_004.jpg
170731_004.jpg [ 155.75 KiB | Viewed 1911 times ]

PostPosted: Aug 1st, '17, 10:20 

Are you human?: YES
Always tough to read colors off a computer picture but that looks like 6.8 to 7.0, somewhere around that I think.

PostPosted: Aug 3rd, '17, 04:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

That is what I am thinking too. Thanks!

PostPosted: Aug 3rd, '17, 07:31 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hey Marty.

Glad that you're having your system in line and the kids are having their time with the fish as well. :cheers:

PostPosted: Aug 3rd, '17, 07:52 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks julianbu!

:wave1:

I had some co-workers and their families over for dinner last night. I am having a hard time describing how Aquaponics works to them. They seemed really interested and asked a lot of questions. I think something like this can turn a lot of people onto Aquaponics.... if not at least gardening.

I will get better at description over time.

Or I can send them a link to this thread or YouTube videos I plan to make.

Marty

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '17, 08:23 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

YEARLY POWER COSTS:

Today I decided to quickly calculate out the power costs to operate my system per year.

Mobile, AL costs $0.096587 per kWh

Water pump: 25W
Brand/model: Ponics Pump/ PP40006 (For Salt or Fresh water)
Cost to purchase: $24.99 shipped from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M ... UTF8&psc=1

I have modified my pump to increase the water flow that was already pretty impressive in both flow and head height for it's Watts rating. I would be able to run around 4 of my current flood/drain beds off of it. Stock Flow Rating at the current head height of 3 feet = 306 Gallons per hour

Cost per year in Mobile, AL running 24/7 = $21.17

AC Power Air Pump: 7W max (with adjustable rotating knob)
Brand/Model: Topfin/ Air 8000
Cost to Purchase: Don't remember. About the same as the water pump.

This model has 4 air hose connectors and is rated for a 170gal aquarium. I am using 4 Medium sized hydroponic bubbler stones and they are just about perfect for this size pump.

Cost per year in Mobile, AL running 24/7 = $5.92

So as long as I get several head of lettuce per year these power costs will be paid for each year. I don't know how long the pumps will last. Should be able to pump out that in just 1 square foot each year though.

Price paid for feed and amendments coming up next... and a weekly bed growth pic.

Last edited by great08 on Aug 4th, '17, 08:30, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '17, 08:28 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

:lol: You gave me an idea. Since I am putting my AP in front of the house where people normally pass by I might as well put a big signboard explaining how it works and a link to this forum. That would save time explaining :lol:

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '17, 08:35 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

julianbu wrote:
:lol: You gave me an idea. Since I am putting my AP in front of the house where people normally pass by I might as well put a big signboard explaining how it works and a link to this forum. That would save time explaining :lol:

That is not a bad idea! I like it.

Saw one of my coworkers today at work. He went home a read up on Aquaponics last night apparently. Was talking about some massive system up in New York and was asking questions about how to pack lettuce for selling. :headbang:

Marty

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '17, 14:38 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

wow he is on the packing stage already :lol: . wait till he comes to nitrate and amonia :headbang:

PostPosted: Aug 5th, '17, 05:19 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Pic of the plants from today. Last pic was on 28July. Seven days ago.

The beans are getting their true leaves. From germination to maturity is about 50 days for this particular bush bean.

The beans in the clay ball bed are falling over due to shifting of the balls. Planning on cutting the pipe 1/2" shorter this weekend.

Marty

Attachments:
04 Aug 2017.jpg
04 Aug 2017.jpg [ 270.08 KiB | Viewed 1845 times ]

PostPosted: Aug 5th, '17, 06:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Do you have a roof on that. Because I have seen other photos here of folks building without a roof. And there was a heavy rain here yesterday and was wondering how AP system will be affected if it collects lots of rain.

Nice plants

PostPosted: Aug 5th, '17, 06:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Feed and Supplement Cost

There are some things to add to the system mostly used in new systems... some will always be used to adjust/buffer PH.

Feed:
Will always be used and is the main source for nutrients. So it is very important to buy something with both aquaponics and your fish species in mind.

5lbs in my old system lasted more than a year when starting.

Last system used... Aquaorganic 5lbs . Used all organic certified ingredients. Got if for $21.95 off of Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7 ... UTF8&psc=1

Currently trying out... AquaNourish Omnivorous fish feed Stage 2 @ 5lbs. Got it for $44.95. Could not find the old brand. The fish seem to tear it up though.

Inoculation:
Part of the heart of the system. I went and bought this off of Amazon to start my last system. Used the old gravel to inoculate this new system. $9.67

Meant for use with either aquaponics or hydroponics.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FG ... UTF8&psc=1

Supplements for plant food/PH adjustments:

So far...

Kelp Extract $16 - After letting the water cycle for a few days I added some DRIED kelp extract(why pay for shipping water?). It tints the water to lower fish stress... and adds a plethora of minerals that aid in cell division in plants, etc., etc.
One Table spoon was enough to turn my water dark. Never did use the whole bag in my last system after a year. Maybe a teaspoon every other month or so from here on out. Once mature a system really does not need it anymore but it does not hurt either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU ... UTF8&psc=1

Chelated Iron 1lb cost $18.79- DTPA type will be plant available through a wide PH range and will no dye your water like some types. I honestly still have over half of the bag from my first system. Iron helps plants make chlorophyll/turn green. I only add some when first starting the system and then when the plants tell me they need it after that. I look at the leaves.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VD ... UTF8&psc=1

Lime $3.58 for 40lb bag - I bought a bag of just crushed limestone from Lowes for $3.58. This would pretty much be a lifetime supply for a system this size. Used for raising PH(never move much at a time or it can shock the microbes). Just use a level teaspoon every now and again to adjust the PH up since it will lower slowly due to the nitrification process. Maybe once a month. We will see. This will be likely the only thing I will use. Commercial/professionals use multiple types in a specific ratio to keep things perfectly balanced for maximum plant production. Each type basically has a different component that acts as a type of mineral fertilizer.

AZomite Rock Dust: It can be purchased on Amazon for $46.40 for a 44lb bag(lifetime supply again). It contains a MASSIVE array of over 70 minerals and Trace elements. I plan on throwing in a teaspoon every now and again. They are naturally in amounts that are perfect for plants. They just need to be broken down to be bio-available. Aquaponics should be perfect for this since it is literally a Bio-machine. Worm guts are essentially bio-reactors too. You guys should read up on them. They should be able to break things down.

It has been said that the biggest thing holding plants back from reaching their true genetic potential is the nutrient they need but lack the most.
https://www.amazon.com/Azomite-Microniz ... st+azomite

Worms: I hear that it is a good idea to have 3 different types of worms in the system. I plan to pick up random worms off of the porch after it rains and throw them into the gravel... later buying some composting worms to throw into the gravel. Worms will eat up decaying roots, poo, etc. and make them bio available to the plants. As Well As keep things loose/free/aerobic in the system. Keeping the ecosystem balanced in my favor.

I am sure there is more but am out of time!

Marty

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next