All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 05:34 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Sorry for my carelessness. I did see both offered for sale and potassium bicarbonate was ordered. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the heads up.

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 05:47 

Are you human?: YES
Glad you got it right :thumbright:

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 08:52 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Attachment:
File comment: Brand new. Not just basil anymore.
new chlorisis on new mint_small.jpg
new chlorisis on new mint_small.jpg [ 194.99 KiB | Viewed 2439 times ]

Potassium bicarbonate about 46 hours out.

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 14:22 

Take a look at the undersides of those leaves and see if you see any pests. Notice the black spot in the middle of the yellowing areas? I'm just having you look to cover the bases (might be something sucking on the leaf from below), I really think it's likely to be a disease for this particular yellowing - the other around the edges on the basil is probably potassium though.

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 19:40 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Looked with a magnifying glass; couldn't find any bugs. Affected mint leaves fall off the plant when handled. Basil leaves with dead spots in the middle did the same thing but that problem seems to have been replaced by the yellow edges. In the picture above, the black spot near the middle of leaf slightly below dead center is actually a small hole.
Attachment:
Mint Top_small.jpg
Mint Top_small.jpg [ 99.49 KiB | Viewed 2422 times ]

Attachment:
Mint Bottom_small.jpg
Mint Bottom_small.jpg [ 110.52 KiB | Viewed 2422 times ]

PostPosted: May 13th, '18, 22:32 

See how it does after the potassium treatments. I think it's got some disease problems, maybe more than one but I can't be sure and they may go away when the plant is getting what it needs.

PostPosted: Jun 6th, '18, 19:42 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Problems pictured and described earlier are mostly gone.
Attachment:
IMG_20180606_052216793_small.png
IMG_20180606_052216793_small.png [ 489.13 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]

The first foliar potassium bicarbonate feeding seemed to have no effect. Read up a little and the second time sprayed the underside of the leaves just before turning off the lights. About an hour earlier I turned down the thermostat to the low 70s F. That seemed to have a beneficial effect.

A few weeks ago Stopped adding Epsom salt per Scotty's advice. At the same time, took out the cuttlebone and stopped adding iron but noticed that the new leaves were not as green as usual so resuming iron and adding a little potassium sulfate. The pH looks a little under 7.6
The current recipe for replacement water is:
    11 quarts water
    .3 grams iron chelate DTPA (10%)
    .5 grams potassium sulfate
    1.5 teaspoons liquid kelp

Next challenge needs to be turning the bed 90° and putting a second bed alongside it on the same shelf. Shelves are a little too short but might be able to shoehorn them in. Originally planned to put the second bed on the shelf above but nervous about a drain directly above a light fixture.

PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '18, 11:53 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Attachment:
GrowBed 8-1-18Small-900.jpg
GrowBed 8-1-18Small-900.jpg [ 324.25 KiB | Viewed 2049 times ]

Pulled the lettuce out of the right side of the bed. What's left is overgrown parsley, mint, thyme basil, and one little dandelion. The tubs have sage and rosemary seedlings to set in the bed tomorrow.

PostPosted: Aug 3rd, '18, 11:06 

Looks like a miniature jungle :headbang:

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '18, 11:47 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've had my two fantail goldfish, Sara and Maybelle, for seven months now and they seem to be thriving. In all that time have never done a water change. Nitrates ranged from near zero to 40 ppm. Lately mostly 20 to 40. Then all of sudden they were near 80. Cut back on the food a little and the girls seem well so didn't worry too much. Thought they would drop again. But by Thursday they were over 100. :shock: The fish just outgrew their plant-based nitrate control because I procrastinated increasing the bed size. I compounded the problem by pulling out the lettuce and replacing it with rosemary and sage seedlings. That dropped the nitrate usage and now the bed is all herbs; parsley, mint, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage, and dandelion.

So now, I'm not only a fishkeeper but a water changer. :-x 50% Friday, 50% Saturday and nitrates are down to 40ish. Will do 50% again tomorrow and see where I'm at. Continue this regime 'till we're into the teens and then see how fast it's rising.

My thinking on the nitrate limits wasn't fully formed 'til now. The plan going forward will be to never let it get above 40 again, staying in the 10 to 30s range. At the same time, I'm ordering more aquaponic supplies to get a couple tomato and pepper buckets going. Will have to pump water several yards and get some led lighting but hopefully, the plants will take over nitrate management and this water changing business will just be a temporary chore when things get out of kilter.

Feedback on nitrates, guidance or suggestions about tomato buckets, and/or led lighting for them is respectfully requested. Suggestions regarding tomato varieties and possibly jalapeno or poblano pepper varieties that would grow well in indoor buckets is also needed.

Thanks. :wave1: