All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Duckweed PeePonics
PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 09:14 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: yes
Is my pleasure to point out inaccurate information that is on the internet,,, by the way I really doubt the world is flat :)

You deem that there is just two questions to be answered

1) Can duckweed be used as a supplimentary feed ,, My answer is yes it can , I suggest from THOUSANDS of pages of research i have read the level would be a maximum of 30%.

2)Can duckweed be produced effficiently? Well i already told you the answer is NO , NOT , NEIN , MAI.
"you think it depends on your resources" ..... well hard to argue against that you may well have your own specifically built plant , self repairing robot workers and a vitually unlimted supply of free energy and nutrients.

I suggest rather than saying "depends on your resources" we stick with the reality of the actual resources we have at hand on this planet at this time.The worlds number 1 grower of Tilapia is China ,, they do not grow duckweed as a specific food resource ..... now lets get into my area of expertise ,, Thailand. I beleve they are still ranked number 4 in the world for Tilapia production ( refered to as Pla Nin in Thailand) .I have grown TENS OF THOUSANDS of kilo's of Tilapia ,, and NO duckweed is NOT a viable alternative. I have discussed alternative feed resources with Thai aquaculture departments heads ,, yes guys that have worked with Tilapia for 40 years or more and they say NO duckweed too much work, not work.
Maybe now you can see it is not just Chappo who couldn't do it ,, it is millions of growers across many continents with support of governemnt scientists and agriculture/aquaculture experts who tried and tried for tens if not hundreds of years and THEY say it doesn't work out as efficient. But they didn't have yoiur vast experience and two internet blogs ,,,LOL

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 09:25 
I know that the industry was also looking at lupins (dehulled) as a source of supplementary feed...

But suspect they probably fall into the same inefficiencies as Duckweed Chappo....

Have the Thai researchers looked at Lupins at all????

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 09:32 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

"hard to argue against that"

so fundamentally you agree on both counts. as for the focus on existing technology/resource point, i don't totally disagree with that. but that's what "research" is all about. had we settled on the world is flat ideology, we'd be in a pretty sad place.

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 09:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Take me to ya leader
someguy wrote:
i didn't know information from the internet could be false. thank you for pointing that out. =]

It's true name should be the MISinformation superhighway! Its really sad how hard it is to get honest accurate information!

The purpose of the media is to provide vasoline.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6945

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 09:51 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

accuracy is relative. 99% [good faith?] accuracy 100% of the time isn't bad. thank god for wikipedia =]

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 09:54 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

oh, thank you for this forum too. it has been very edifying. don't you bad-mouth the internet.

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 10:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Take me to ya leader
:lol:

The purpose of the media is to provide vasoline.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6945

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 12:27 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
What some times really gets to me is when I post about something and then later go searching for more info to research about it and the internet keeps sending me back to my own posts!!!!! Dang they just let anyone spout off here on the internet don't they :lol:

I'd be curious to see how anyone does with a fodder shed type set up hooked to aquaponics. I know there have been several people looking at the idea for growing food for their animals. Then it would be interesting to see how such a set up might be adapted to work for duckweed. But it probably wouldn't be a highly efficient use of resources since there are so many higher value crops that can be grown with aquaponics.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 17:25 
A posting God
A posting God

someguy , yes i agree on two counts ,, 1)duckweed is not an economically viable alternative and 2) I wish it could me made to be.

Rupe ,, yes mate the figures on the Western Australian Lupins where quite good , I think they got near 40% rate of replacement before there was any significant slowing of growth rates. This research i believe was run by DPI , so quality research with factual data.

TClynx , ahh the fodder shed ,,a classic case of wishfull thinking combined with miss-information that grew into a big business all based on dreams. The "dream" suggested you get 20 kilo of seeds ( so say 20 kilo of food ) , sprout the seeds and suddenly you have 200 kilo of high quality food .....,MAGIC :) Reality is you get 21 kilo of food and 179 kilo of water.
I saw this originally on an Australian farming TV show called " Landline" ....., follow up reports , with unbiased research , where FAR less enthusiastic.
Back to the duckweed ,, I do believe it has potential as a cleaner for sewerage settling ponds , so if it then becomes an almost free by=product , we may see an economical food. As for a backyard aquaponics system I think it is a great thing to have ,, using unused space perhaps in the yabby tank and offering an alternate feed resource , fun if not outright efficient.

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 21:52 
Chappo wrote:
Rupe ,, yes mate the figures on the Western Australian Lupins where quite good , I think they got near 40% rate of replacement before there was any significant slowing of growth rates. This research i believe was run by DPI , so quality research with factual data.

I think this is the research report that Chappo mentions... :wink:

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/docs/op/op031/fop031.pdf

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 22:31 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

oh my. a study published on the internet. let's discount it. =]

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 22:45 
Nope... was a scintific study published in aquaculture circles... and listed on the WA Fisheries website for access and download.... :wink:

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 23:18 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

really? accurate information CAN be found on the internet? wow, you guys are giving me whiplashes!

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 23:19 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks Rupe ,, yes that is one of a few I have read .
Notice how it was produced by professional UNBIASED scientists ,, contains proven analytical data , is cross referenced to other studies and contains numerous and varied experimentaion to determine results. It is this type of report that can be more highly relied upon for accuracey. On the other hand a report saying " It grows good , it's green , it has protein , fish eat it , does not deserve such faith , especially if it is published by John Smith , builders labourer and secretary of the anti-green whale watcher and ozone gas society of south western nargoonabaribia.

PostPosted: May 7th, '09, 23:24 
A posting God
A posting God

When was it stated that accurate information could not be found on the web???

I believe you are laskhing yourself , I believe it is termed Masochism.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next